Related Forum Threads
- Are Pioneer headphones good? Last post on 7/16/12 at 12:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Pioneer TRE-D800 & SE-DIR800C Last post on 8/12/13 at 5:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Will the Pioneer Dir800c handle the Audio Technica ATH-AD900? Last post on 8/18/11 at 8:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser Customer Looking to Upgrade Last post on 8/18/11 at 10:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Got my Pioneer HDJ500K, impression of it Last post on 2/12/12 at 3:21am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
MrSpeakers Alpha Dog: A reference class Dog Introduction First, a disclaimer: I purchased the Alpha Dogs ($499USD, discontinued) with my own money after doing my own research and thus this is my...
Hi everyone, Before I start the review, I would like to thank Campfire Audio for making this awesome IEM, and also to d marc0 for inviting me in the tour. INTRODUCTION I'm an Indonesian...
For larger views of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION This is going to be a long review – I'll get that out up front. My time with the U6 has been a...
DOI: I don't get to listen to new gear a lot so I may not be any use at answering questions about comparisons to anything other than my own stuff (which may or may not be considered esoteric). I...
Just on sound quality, meh. It's very quiet, and detailed, but on my main headphones, AKG K712, the mid-treble balance is just too bright. The bass is nice and deep and honest, and midrange is OK,...
new Pioneer flagship? SE-MJ591 - Page 2post #16 of 496/14/12 at 4:21pm
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #17 of 496/14/12 at 4:58pm
There's an in-depth review of the Pioneer SE-MJ591 cans on the Audioholics website, dated May 20, 2012. Tom Andry, one of the principals of Audioholics, genuinely liked them based on their sound, but found that for him, they were most uncomfortable to wear for any length of time; were it not for their wearing discomfort, he would have put them at the very pinnacle of all cans he's ever tested, describing their sound as being like really high quality electrostatic loudspeakers. It's certainly worth a look. I think the Pioneers are available from B & H stateside.post #18 of 496/14/12 at 5:53pmpost #19 of 496/14/12 at 5:54pmQuote:Originally Posted by bigguynhti
There's an in-depth review of the Pioneer SE-MJ591 cans on the Audioholics website, dated May 20, 2012. Tom Andry, one of the principals of Audioholics, genuinely liked them based on their sound, but found that for him, they were most uncomfortable to wear for any length of time; were it not for their wearing discomfort, he would have put them at the very pinnacle of all cans he's ever tested, describing their sound as being like really high quality electrostatic loudspeakers. It's certainly worth a look. I think the Pioneers are available from B & H stateside.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll give it a look.post #20 of 496/14/12 at 6:36pmpost #21 of 496/14/12 at 8:23pm
Here's the marking material on the 591 in PDF.
Pictures & measurements
Edited by HiFiGuy528 - 6/14/12 at 9:00pmpost #22 of 496/14/12 at 9:05pm
40kHz? Clearly there's a Pioneer engineer out that that has always lamented over his pet bat's inability to hear some really good tunes.
Still, I guess it paid off. "Before I go any further, let me say that the Pioneer SE-MJ591 headphones are, without a doubt, the best headphones I've ever experienced. Bar none." I guess Andry likes it.
Edited by warrenpchi - 6/15/12 at 2:15ampost #23 of 496/20/12 at 3:39pmpost #24 of 496/20/12 at 3:57pmpost #25 of 496/20/12 at 4:38pm
Interested in hearing about your impressions of this. In general I like these - but I have had the hardest time trying to pin down the signature. It seems to morph quite a bit from genre to genre and even song to song. Case in point, I had an interesting flashback experience with these earlier today.
I should explain that I've seen Captain EO an ungodly number of times. Having been born and bred in SoCal, I've served as an unofficial host to all things SoCal for visiting family an friends from out of town. That included Disneyland. In addition, we had friends in high school that worked at Disneyland and got us in for free. So there were entire summers where Disneyland supplanted the local mall as a hangout. I lost count at 137 visits to that place. Anyway, I have a fairly good recollection of what Captain EO sounded like in their theatre.
So I was listening to "Another Part of Me" (off of The Essential Michael Jackson - which I personally prefer over Immortal) through the SE-MJ591 today, and it took me right back to the theater. Aside from the LF not being as pronounced and tight as I remember, everything else was pretty spot on (minus some crossfeed to simulate the original theater's surround system).
Its funny how we remember the oddest things in life...post #26 of 496/22/12 at 9:53pmpost #27 of 496/23/12 at 6:11amhttp://www.head-fi.org/t/615590/new-pioneer-se-mj591-audiophile-headphones-unboxing-impressions-to-come
Initial impressions are good, but it's not audiophile grade IMO.
Edited by HiFiGuy528 - 6/23/12 at 7:52ampost #28 of 496/23/12 at 12:37pmpost #29 of 498/30/12 at 6:33pmpost #30 of 498/30/12 at 7:05pmQuote:
FWIW, Pioneer does have another pair of "audiophile" headphones, the SE-A1000, that I rather like. I don't know if I would call it "audiophile" grade myself, but it's sounds great for certain genres (rock in particular). Not too many mentions of that one either, but I enjoy that WAAYYY more than I do the SE-MJ591.
- new Pioneer flagship? SE-MJ591
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › A little about the Shozy Alien 21 seconds ago
- › Pics of Headphones... Rules: ONE PIC. NO WORDS! 47 seconds ago
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 51 seconds ago
- › Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!! 54 seconds ago
- › The Best IEM's for Bass are...... (Basshead IEM's) 2 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar... 2 minutes ago
- › Shozy Zero: $50 IEMs with real rosewood, taking on the $500 big boys! 3 minutes ago
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 4 minutes ago
- › Shanling M2 DAP 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 800 S by Kon Peki
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by k4rstar
- › Campfire Audio Orion by emptymt
- › 64 Audio (1964 Ears) ADEL U6 by Brooko
- › Sennheiser IE 8 In-Ear Headphones by Docjitters
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by eriksq
- › MusicMaker TK13 by Paulpark222
- › Philips SHP9500 by Mosauwer
- › MEE Audio RX18 Comfort-Fit In-Ear Headphones with Enhanced Bass... by peter123
- › Schiit Magni 2 by Aornic
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse