Related Forum Threads
- Are Pioneer headphones good? Last post on 7/16/12 at 12:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Pioneer TRE-D800 & SE-DIR800C Last post on 8/12/13 at 5:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Will the Pioneer Dir800c handle the Audio Technica ATH-AD900? Last post on 8/18/11 at 8:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser Customer Looking to Upgrade Last post on 8/18/11 at 10:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Got my Pioneer HDJ500K, impression of it Last post on 2/12/12 at 3:21am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I bought a pair of HM5s about 6 months ago. They give you absolutely great sound for under $150 but I ran into a big problem. Both sides where the slider connects to the headphones started to...
First a bit of background on my experiences with headphone amps. I have tried the Fiio E17, Objective 2, the 2.3W amp built into my laptop, my Yamaha receiver's headphone out and a cheap $40...
I bought these cans 2 years ago and sold them to get the ATH-M50, which then lead me into the audio world. Overall these are good portable headphones with great build quality. The sound, however,...
The Sennheiser Momentum On Ear is bursting with goodness. Nice looks, sound, and great value to go with it. Now, Let's go straight into it! These look so phenomenal, with all that alcantara...
The Sennheiser PX 360 headphones look good, and are very comfortable, at least to me, but the earcups fit just nicely over my ears. Any smaller and I would not be able to fit these over my ears....
new Pioneer flagship? SE-MJ591 - Page 2post #16 of 496/14/12 at 4:21pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 496/14/12 at 4:58pm
There's an in-depth review of the Pioneer SE-MJ591 cans on the Audioholics website, dated May 20, 2012. Tom Andry, one of the principals of Audioholics, genuinely liked them based on their sound, but found that for him, they were most uncomfortable to wear for any length of time; were it not for their wearing discomfort, he would have put them at the very pinnacle of all cans he's ever tested, describing their sound as being like really high quality electrostatic loudspeakers. It's certainly worth a look. I think the Pioneers are available from B & H stateside.post #18 of 496/14/12 at 5:53pmpost #19 of 496/14/12 at 5:54pmQuote:Originally Posted by bigguynhti
There's an in-depth review of the Pioneer SE-MJ591 cans on the Audioholics website, dated May 20, 2012. Tom Andry, one of the principals of Audioholics, genuinely liked them based on their sound, but found that for him, they were most uncomfortable to wear for any length of time; were it not for their wearing discomfort, he would have put them at the very pinnacle of all cans he's ever tested, describing their sound as being like really high quality electrostatic loudspeakers. It's certainly worth a look. I think the Pioneers are available from B & H stateside.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll give it a look.post #20 of 496/14/12 at 6:36pmpost #21 of 496/14/12 at 8:23pm
Here's the marking material on the 591 in PDF.
Pictures & measurements
Edited by HiFiGuy528 - 6/14/12 at 9:00pmpost #22 of 496/14/12 at 9:05pm
40kHz? Clearly there's a Pioneer engineer out that that has always lamented over his pet bat's inability to hear some really good tunes.
Still, I guess it paid off. "Before I go any further, let me say that the Pioneer SE-MJ591 headphones are, without a doubt, the best headphones I've ever experienced. Bar none." I guess Andry likes it.post #23 of 496/20/12 at 3:39pmpost #24 of 496/20/12 at 3:57pmpost #25 of 496/20/12 at 4:38pm
Interested in hearing about your impressions of this. In general I like these - but I have had the hardest time trying to pin down the signature. It seems to morph quite a bit from genre to genre and even song to song. Case in point, I had an interesting flashback experience with these earlier today.
I should explain that I've seen Captain EO an ungodly number of times. Having been born and bred in SoCal, I've served as an unofficial host to all things SoCal for visiting family an friends from out of town. That included Disneyland. In addition, we had friends in high school that worked at Disneyland and got us in for free. So there were entire summers where Disneyland supplanted the local mall as a hangout. I lost count at 137 visits to that place. Anyway, I have a fairly good recollection of what Captain EO sounded like in their theatre.
So I was listening to "Another Part of Me" (off of The Essential Michael Jackson - which I personally prefer over Immortal) through the SE-MJ591 today, and it took me right back to the theater. Aside from the LF not being as pronounced and tight as I remember, everything else was pretty spot on (minus some crossfeed to simulate the original theater's surround system).
Its funny how we remember the oddest things in life...post #26 of 496/22/12 at 9:53pmpost #27 of 496/23/12 at 6:11amhttp://www.head-fi.org/t/615590/new-pioneer-se-mj591-audiophile-headphones-unboxing-impressions-to-come
Initial impressions are good, but it's not audiophile grade IMO.
Edited by HiFiGuy528 - 6/23/12 at 7:52ampost #28 of 496/23/12 at 12:37pmpost #29 of 498/30/12 at 6:33pmpost #30 of 498/30/12 at 7:05pmQuote:
FWIW, Pioneer does have another pair of "audiophile" headphones, the SE-A1000, that I rather like. I don't know if I would call it "audiophile" grade myself, but it's sounds great for certain genres (rock in particular). Not too many mentions of that one either, but I enjoy that WAAYYY more than I do the SE-MJ591.
- new Pioneer flagship? SE-MJ591
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 9 seconds ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre *ES9018K2M*, New amp section. Review 1st... 37 seconds ago
- › ROCK-HARD CANADIAN MAPLE HEADPHONES 57 seconds ago
- › Chord Hugo 1 minute ago
- › V-MODA XS - V-MODA M-80s upgraded - Pictures and more! [Discussion,... 3 minutes ago
- › Sony's DSD-capable PHA-2 portable headphone amp/DAC 3 minutes ago
- › Light Harmonic GEEK 4 minutes ago
- › Best open 'overear' headphone (nevermind the price) 5 minutes ago
- › Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Wadia 170i Transport and CI Audio power supply 6 minutes ago
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by JamesSitter
- › Burson Audio - The Conductor - Reference Class DAC / Headphone Amp... by ag8908
- › SOL Republic Tracks HD by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Sennheiser PX 360 Collapsible Wired Headphone with Clear Natural... by TripBitShooter
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by squallkiercosa
- › Shure SE215 by squallkiercosa
- › Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie... by squallkiercosa
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by LaPierre
- › Noble Audio FR by HideousPride
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob