Related Forum Threads
- Are Pioneer headphones good? Last post on 7/16/12 at 12:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Pioneer TRE-D800 & SE-DIR800C Last post on 8/12/13 at 5:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Will the Pioneer Dir800c handle the Audio Technica ATH-AD900? Last post on 8/18/11 at 8:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser Customer Looking to Upgrade Last post on 8/18/11 at 10:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Got my Pioneer HDJ500K, impression of it Last post on 2/12/12 at 3:21am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Design and Comfort S5 is a new higher-end in-ear-monitor from Brainwavz retailing at about US$100. I’m glad Brainwavz has offerings at most price points below $200. It's great that companies such...
RockJaw is an up and coming headphone company from Great Britain starting strong with a huge lineup. The Alfa Genus is one of their midrange offerings and offers a certain special something that is...
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
new Pioneer flagship? SE-MJ591 - Page 2post #16 of 496/14/12 at 4:21pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 496/14/12 at 4:58pm
There's an in-depth review of the Pioneer SE-MJ591 cans on the Audioholics website, dated May 20, 2012. Tom Andry, one of the principals of Audioholics, genuinely liked them based on their sound, but found that for him, they were most uncomfortable to wear for any length of time; were it not for their wearing discomfort, he would have put them at the very pinnacle of all cans he's ever tested, describing their sound as being like really high quality electrostatic loudspeakers. It's certainly worth a look. I think the Pioneers are available from B & H stateside.post #18 of 496/14/12 at 5:53pmpost #19 of 496/14/12 at 5:54pmQuote:Originally Posted by bigguynhti
There's an in-depth review of the Pioneer SE-MJ591 cans on the Audioholics website, dated May 20, 2012. Tom Andry, one of the principals of Audioholics, genuinely liked them based on their sound, but found that for him, they were most uncomfortable to wear for any length of time; were it not for their wearing discomfort, he would have put them at the very pinnacle of all cans he's ever tested, describing their sound as being like really high quality electrostatic loudspeakers. It's certainly worth a look. I think the Pioneers are available from B & H stateside.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll give it a look.post #20 of 496/14/12 at 6:36pmpost #21 of 496/14/12 at 8:23pm
Here's the marking material on the 591 in PDF.
Pictures & measurements
Edited by HiFiGuy528 - 6/14/12 at 9:00pmpost #22 of 496/14/12 at 9:05pm
40kHz? Clearly there's a Pioneer engineer out that that has always lamented over his pet bat's inability to hear some really good tunes.
Still, I guess it paid off. "Before I go any further, let me say that the Pioneer SE-MJ591 headphones are, without a doubt, the best headphones I've ever experienced. Bar none." I guess Andry likes it.post #23 of 496/20/12 at 3:39pmpost #24 of 496/20/12 at 3:57pmpost #25 of 496/20/12 at 4:38pm
Interested in hearing about your impressions of this. In general I like these - but I have had the hardest time trying to pin down the signature. It seems to morph quite a bit from genre to genre and even song to song. Case in point, I had an interesting flashback experience with these earlier today.
I should explain that I've seen Captain EO an ungodly number of times. Having been born and bred in SoCal, I've served as an unofficial host to all things SoCal for visiting family an friends from out of town. That included Disneyland. In addition, we had friends in high school that worked at Disneyland and got us in for free. So there were entire summers where Disneyland supplanted the local mall as a hangout. I lost count at 137 visits to that place. Anyway, I have a fairly good recollection of what Captain EO sounded like in their theatre.
So I was listening to "Another Part of Me" (off of The Essential Michael Jackson - which I personally prefer over Immortal) through the SE-MJ591 today, and it took me right back to the theater. Aside from the LF not being as pronounced and tight as I remember, everything else was pretty spot on (minus some crossfeed to simulate the original theater's surround system).
Its funny how we remember the oddest things in life...post #26 of 496/22/12 at 9:53pmpost #27 of 496/23/12 at 6:11amhttp://www.head-fi.org/t/615590/new-pioneer-se-mj591-audiophile-headphones-unboxing-impressions-to-come
Initial impressions are good, but it's not audiophile grade IMO.
Edited by HiFiGuy528 - 6/23/12 at 7:52ampost #28 of 496/23/12 at 12:37pmpost #29 of 498/30/12 at 6:33pmpost #30 of 498/30/12 at 7:05pmQuote:
FWIW, Pioneer does have another pair of "audiophile" headphones, the SE-A1000, that I rather like. I don't know if I would call it "audiophile" grade myself, but it's sounds great for certain genres (rock in particular). Not too many mentions of that one either, but I enjoy that WAAYYY more than I do the SE-MJ591.
- new Pioneer flagship? SE-MJ591
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 14 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 48 seconds ago
- › Place to listening to the AKG K712 Pro before buying them? 1 minute ago
- › Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes 1 minute ago
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 2 minutes ago
- › HE-400 vs HD650 3 minutes ago
- › [For Sale] iFi Aduio Nano iDSD 4 minutes ago
- › Frequencies, Hertz-es, Ohm-ses..tired of them ? Visit the FUN... 4 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by kingpage
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by Ishcabible
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)