Related Forum Threads
- Are Pioneer headphones good? Last post on 7/16/12 at 12:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Pioneer TRE-D800 & SE-DIR800C Last post on 8/12/13 at 5:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Will the Pioneer Dir800c handle the Audio Technica ATH-AD900? Last post on 8/18/11 at 8:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser Customer Looking to Upgrade Last post on 8/18/11 at 10:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Got my Pioneer HDJ500K, impression of it Last post on 2/12/12 at 3:21am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I bought these (at £150) expecting much but was shocked by how far they fell short of even competency. They are very uncomfortable, badly designed and the sound is really nothing special. Whatever...
Can’t believe nobody has commented on the lack of an extremely basic feature that exists on 99% of MP3 players but missing from this and many other Fiio units — which is the ability to bookmark....
Advanced AcousticWerkes Q: Deceptively Small The AAW Q is an upcoming IEM from Singaporean company Advanced AcousticWerkes, scheduled for release in the first week of September. It boasts a new...
Now that I've heard all the ADEL modules from Asius technologies(what has been released since 8/16), it's even harder to pick a favorite. Some days I want to tune the sound to my unique anatomy,...
new Pioneer flagship? SE-MJ591 - Page 2post #16 of 496/14/12 at 4:21pm
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #17 of 496/14/12 at 4:58pm
There's an in-depth review of the Pioneer SE-MJ591 cans on the Audioholics website, dated May 20, 2012. Tom Andry, one of the principals of Audioholics, genuinely liked them based on their sound, but found that for him, they were most uncomfortable to wear for any length of time; were it not for their wearing discomfort, he would have put them at the very pinnacle of all cans he's ever tested, describing their sound as being like really high quality electrostatic loudspeakers. It's certainly worth a look. I think the Pioneers are available from B & H stateside.post #18 of 496/14/12 at 5:53pmpost #19 of 496/14/12 at 5:54pmQuote:Originally Posted by bigguynhti
There's an in-depth review of the Pioneer SE-MJ591 cans on the Audioholics website, dated May 20, 2012. Tom Andry, one of the principals of Audioholics, genuinely liked them based on their sound, but found that for him, they were most uncomfortable to wear for any length of time; were it not for their wearing discomfort, he would have put them at the very pinnacle of all cans he's ever tested, describing their sound as being like really high quality electrostatic loudspeakers. It's certainly worth a look. I think the Pioneers are available from B & H stateside.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll give it a look.post #20 of 496/14/12 at 6:36pmpost #21 of 496/14/12 at 8:23pm
Here's the marking material on the 591 in PDF.
Pictures & measurements
Edited by HiFiGuy528 - 6/14/12 at 9:00pmpost #22 of 496/14/12 at 9:05pm
40kHz? Clearly there's a Pioneer engineer out that that has always lamented over his pet bat's inability to hear some really good tunes.
Still, I guess it paid off. "Before I go any further, let me say that the Pioneer SE-MJ591 headphones are, without a doubt, the best headphones I've ever experienced. Bar none." I guess Andry likes it.
Edited by warrenpchi - 6/15/12 at 2:15ampost #23 of 496/20/12 at 3:39pmpost #24 of 496/20/12 at 3:57pmpost #25 of 496/20/12 at 4:38pm
Interested in hearing about your impressions of this. In general I like these - but I have had the hardest time trying to pin down the signature. It seems to morph quite a bit from genre to genre and even song to song. Case in point, I had an interesting flashback experience with these earlier today.
I should explain that I've seen Captain EO an ungodly number of times. Having been born and bred in SoCal, I've served as an unofficial host to all things SoCal for visiting family an friends from out of town. That included Disneyland. In addition, we had friends in high school that worked at Disneyland and got us in for free. So there were entire summers where Disneyland supplanted the local mall as a hangout. I lost count at 137 visits to that place. Anyway, I have a fairly good recollection of what Captain EO sounded like in their theatre.
So I was listening to "Another Part of Me" (off of The Essential Michael Jackson - which I personally prefer over Immortal) through the SE-MJ591 today, and it took me right back to the theater. Aside from the LF not being as pronounced and tight as I remember, everything else was pretty spot on (minus some crossfeed to simulate the original theater's surround system).
Its funny how we remember the oddest things in life...post #26 of 496/22/12 at 9:53pmpost #27 of 496/23/12 at 6:11amhttp://www.head-fi.org/t/615590/new-pioneer-se-mj591-audiophile-headphones-unboxing-impressions-to-come
Initial impressions are good, but it's not audiophile grade IMO.
Edited by HiFiGuy528 - 6/23/12 at 7:52ampost #28 of 496/23/12 at 12:37pmpost #29 of 498/30/12 at 6:33pmpost #30 of 498/30/12 at 7:05pmQuote:
FWIW, Pioneer does have another pair of "audiophile" headphones, the SE-A1000, that I rather like. I don't know if I would call it "audiophile" grade myself, but it's sounds great for certain genres (rock in particular). Not too many mentions of that one either, but I enjoy that WAAYYY more than I do the SE-MJ591.
- new Pioneer flagship? SE-MJ591
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Android phones and USB DACs 35 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 37 seconds ago
- › Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 39 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum on-ear, cx 5.0G and AKG K518DJ for sale 40 seconds ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 51 seconds ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 1 minute ago
- › Three Word Story 1 minute ago
- › JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion 2 minutes ago
- › ~200 usd in ear headphones recommendation 2 minutes ago
- › Flare Audio R1 Headphones by Mr Vicarious
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by greencalx
- › Advanced AcousticWerkes Q by ustinj
- › Asius Technologies ADEL™ G1 Auto Modules by Ike1985
- › AAW Nebula Two Hybrid In-Ear Monitor by tz0531
- › Shure SE215 by Nick Walters
- › E-mu Teak Headphones by AT Khan
- › Marshall Mode In-Ear Headphones, Black/White (4090939) by PopZeus
- › Pro-Ject Debut Carbon by davehg
- › Brainwavz Jive by Lurk650
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...