Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Streaming Audio Devices: review and information thread (Updated 4/23 with JF Digital review)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Streaming Audio Devices: review and information thread (Updated 4/23 with JF Digital review) - Page 6

post #76 of 142

At the risk of getting myself into trouble, I can only offer this - when you have a vested interest in selling high-end gear, it makes sense that you enjoy the Kool-Aid.

 

Real world beckons.  :)

post #77 of 142
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by estreeter View Post

At the risk of getting myself into trouble, I can only offer this - when you have a vested interest in selling high-end gear, it makes sense that you enjoy the Kool-Aid.

Real world beckons.  smily_headphones1.gif

No comment on that....

I've decided to pick up an Auraliti PK90 server as well as the NuForce linear PSU that goes with it. It does USB out through a SoTM card, so I'll use it as my reference source to feed USB DACs. I think I'll still keep my JF Digital unit for an SPDIF source since it remains the best I've heard.

The Auraliti is priced way less than similar competitors.
post #78 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by estreeter View Post

At the risk of getting myself into trouble, I can only offer this - when you have a vested interest in selling high-end gear, it makes sense that you enjoy the Kool-Aid.

 

Real world beckons.  :)

Someone drank the kool-aid, and then jumped in the pool

 

PoolsClosed.jpg

post #79 of 142
Thread Starter 
I do think it is fair to point out that Chris does not make any money from the C.A.P.S server. Or at least not directly. He simply configured it and releases the parts list, kind of like an open source project. So that's at least one commercial opportunity that he has deliberately not cashed in on. He gets credit for that in my book.
post #80 of 142

I meant that his advertising revenue relies on his advertisers continuing to sell kit - wouldnt be much point to advertising on his site otherwise, I'm not criticising Chris - he has been a vocal advocate for a device that many 'big A' audiophiles would turn their noses up at - the Squeezebox Touch - but the majority of his C.A.S.H. list is aimed at folk with a little more disposable income than your average Head-Fier. OK, a lot more disposable income than cheapskates like me !  biggrin.gif

 

I'm not seeing particularly deep pockets on AudioKarma - at least not in terms of wanting to stay on the bleeding edge - but CA seems to have some incredibly deep pockets, Hard to imagine how much money these folk must have had when the economy was buoyant - half their luck. 

post #81 of 142
Thread Starter 

I imagine it's tough doing what he does as kind of a "one man show". At InnerFidelity, Tyll gets to be insulated from the whole advertising aspect - Source Interlink Media handles all that on a corporate level. Contrast that with 6Moons or CA where you may be reading a review of a product, and seeing prominent advertising for said product (or a direct competitor), on the same page. I can see how that would make things difficult as far as maintaining objectivity. I've seen some good and some bad examples on both of those sites so I'm not calling them out or anything. Just saying it would be tough.

 

Back on topic - I've got the NuForce LPS-1 linear PSU on the way, and should be able to order the Auraliti PK-90 soon. Kind of excited about it. I know it breaks my own rules about having a display and user controls on the front panel... but that's OK. 

 

I found an interesting discussion at the Asylum about the Cary MS-1 server. $2500 for what comes close to being an off the shelf unit, except for maybe the enclosure. One that doesn't seem to have any premium hardware in terms of signal - USB and SPDIF are from the integrated motherboard chipset. Not that impressive, though I suppose someone with an all Cary system can afford to pay that.

post #82 of 142

I strongly suspect that we will see more 'badge-engineering' like the Cary example you've raised - I also wonder how serious some of the established audio companies are about embracing the technology. Kudos to Marantz/NAD/CA for releasing dedicated streamers that, at least from the photos, should integrate nicely into a rack full of similar mid-fi goodies. Received an interesting PM on the background to Cary's Nighthawk headphone amp - I cant divulge the contents, but lets just say a headphone amp wasn't on their radar until very recently - perhaps the streamer you mention is another device out of 'left field' ?

 

I look forward to your impressions of the Auraliti.  <insert drool emoticon>

post #83 of 142
Thread Starter 

I see it as a marketing thing, somewhat like the current headphone market. With the economy in a slump pretty much everywhere in the world, these companies that sell totally superfluous items (which, if we are being honest, is what audio gear really is) have to find a way to stay afloat. I don't believe they can do that merely by releasing yet another tube integrated or set of monoblocks with a 5 or 6 figure price tag. So they go where the money is.

 

Marketing research shows that headphones are the largest growing segment in the audio world. Music servers/streamers/players are probably high on the list as well. So you get a Cary music server, or headphones from companies like PSB and Focal. That doesn't necessarily make them bad - I've heard good things about the PSB M4U2. But us HeadFiers are a tough crowd who are always looking for the best deals, and are quick to dismiss things that don't measure up. But think of how many people are on Audiogon who CAN afford a $2500 Cary MS-1, like it was pocket change. 

post #84 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post

But us HeadFiers are a tough crowd who are always looking for the best deals, and are quick to dismiss things that don't measure up.

 

Correction: many headfi'ers are quick to dismiss the cheap, and praise sponsor's products no matter how bad they are when tested.

 

Just putting it out there


Edited by BLACKENEDPLAGUE - 7/4/12 at 5:56pm
post #85 of 142
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKENEDPLAGUE View Post

 

Correction: many headfi'ers are quick to dismiss the cheap, and praise sponsor's products no matter how bad they are when tested.

 

Just putting it out there

 

Unfortunately that is true. Streaming devices are a relatively new market but already we are seeing some pretty outlandish stuff coming out.

 

Prediction - look for more and more "analog" companies releasing multi-thousand dollar devices, many with tubes, zero negative feedback, that sort of thing. They are coming. Some are already here (Ayon S3 for example). 

post #86 of 142

The comment was more towards the general industry as a whole, if it isn't expensive then it's a POS. With that being said I was quite surprised with Jude's review of the thumb-DAC, $250 is pretty reasonable even for entry-level converters. And the fact he said LCD-3's and HD650's were able to be driven is astonishing, combined with 88.2 compatibility? $250 is a steal.

post #87 of 142
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKENEDPLAGUE View Post

The comment was more towards the general industry as a whole, if it isn't expensive then it's a POS. With that being said I was quite surprised with Jude's review of the thumb-DAC, $250 is pretty reasonable even for entry-level converters. And the fact he said LCD-3's and HD650's were able to be driven is astonishing, combined with 88.2 compatibility? $250 is a steal.

 

 

True, I agree to a large extent. There is some extremely good gear out there that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. The Emotiva airmotiv5 active monitors are down to under $400 with their current promo, which is a killer deal. The Sansa Clip+ is a steal for a quality little player that can do Rockbox. Low end IEMs (like the $25 NuForce NE-600x for example) sound better than ever. The Squeezebox Touch is an excellent streaming device for $299. There are plenty of other examples. It's a great time to be an audio enthusiast. 

post #88 of 142

Hi! Nice to see this post about streaming media. I'm running a modest music server at home, which is like a diy NAS with two routers, one is working as a wifi repeater with a DD-WRT firmware, using an Ipod Touch as a receiver with PlugPlayer (great app, by the way). I really like this setup because most of my collection is in flac and I don't have to deal with iTunes to listen to this files, just open plugplayer and play and the sound quality is great for me. The thing is the battery of the Touch, I`m worried that this setup may kill the battery life of this device soon because of the abuse of the wifi. I don't do a battery test, but maybe it last like 10 hours or so, with the wifi on and in sleep mode. Any of you have some idea about battery life if you stream music a lot?

post #89 of 142
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjazz View Post

Hi! Nice to see this post about streaming media. I'm running a modest music server at home, which is like a diy NAS with two routers, one is working as a wifi repeater with a DD-WRT firmware, using an Ipod Touch as a receiver with PlugPlayer (great app, by the way). I really like this setup because most of my collection is in flac and I don't have to deal with iTunes to listen to this files, just open plugplayer and play and the sound quality is great for me. The thing is the battery of the Touch, I`m worried that this setup may kill the battery life of this device soon because of the abuse of the wifi. I don't do a battery test, but maybe it last like 10 hours or so, with the wifi on and in sleep mode. Any of you have some idea about battery life if you stream music a lot?

 

 

What a coincidence - I'm just in the middle of re-purposing an old router to be used as a wireless bridge. That way I can get an Ethernet connection to the corner of my house where the main equipment is, without having to run actual cable under the floor. I got DD-WRT flashed on there but ran out of time before I could finish.

 

So to clarify - you are using the Touch with headphones? 

 

I think I get about 10 hours use (give or take) out of my Touch or iPad, moderate use with WiFi on. I get a lot more when using them as just a remote control for a streaming device - I only charge every once in a while in those cases. 

post #90 of 142

Yes, I'm using the Touch with headphones. And I did the same thing, using an old router as a bridge with the dd-wrt firmware in order to have a good signal in the place of the living room where I like to sit and listen to music. I'm really pleased with the results, you have access to your entire collection without any lag and in lossless quality. The only issue is the battery :(

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Streaming Audio Devices: review and information thread (Updated 4/23 with JF Digital review)