or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Q701 impressions thread - Page 619

post #9271 of 9406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan M View Post


Have you done the bass mod to yours? It's fairly simple and increases the bass a noticeable amount.

No, but it also changes the signature. and as far as I can tell from people it would be the same as using an EQ on them.
 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leggy View Post


Why not?😉
It had great bass and very fun to listen to. Too bad it is over my price range

It's not over my price range, but more in the realm of do I really need another pair of headphones? :D

post #9272 of 9406
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildStyle-R11 View Post

No, but it also changes the signature. and as far as I can tell from people it would be the same as using an EQ on them.

It does change the signature slightly but not at all in an unpleasant way for me. Also certainly not the same as just EQing them. Adds a lot more body to the lower bass not just volume.
post #9273 of 9406
I did the bass mod years ago and have not looked back . It changes things for the better for sure. They are definitely more neutral now.
post #9274 of 9406
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb View Post

I did the bass mod years ago and have not looked back . It changes things for the better for sure. They are definitely more neutral now.

Did u feel it contested the sound stage a bit?
post #9275 of 9406
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb View Post

Never thought of that. Let us know how that works and exactly where you lubed them. Mine creaks sometimes too, but mine are over 3 years old, so no warranty left for me.

I used the lube in the little holes exposed when you rotate the fronts of the cups to the outside. It helped with some of the creaking bit didn't eliminate it.
post #9276 of 9406
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenroot77 View Post


Did u feel it contested the sound stage a bit?

Its been so long since I did the mod, I wouldn't be able to say, but I don't know how it would since you're removing an obstacle on the outside of the driver. In theory it should allow for (slightly) more soundstage.

post #9277 of 9406
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCXR594 View Post

Its been so long since I did the mod, I wouldn't be able to say, but I don't know how it would since you're removing an obstacle on the outside of the driver. In theory it should allow for (slightly) more soundstage.

Just curious as I seemed to recall someone mentioning that. Thanks for your response.
post #9278 of 9406
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenroot77 View Post


Just curious as I seemed to recall someone mentioning that. Thanks for your response.

The soundstage feels a bit more layered because of the sub-bass increase, but because of that bass, the Q's lose their airiness.

post #9279 of 9406
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenroot77 View Post


Did u feel it contested the sound stage a bit?

Nope, not at all. I absolutely hate congestion. It is the one biggest thing I can't stand about a lot of headphones I've tried. It's the biggest reason that I'm really not a fan of most IEM's. Congested sounding headphones really really bug me. I didn't not experience it at all when I originally did the bass mod. If I noticed this I would have instantly switched them back.   

 

I feel it did add a tiny bit of depth which the Q701 needed. The bass mod added a bit of bass quantity, but mainly extended the response much deeper into the sub bass, and actually seemed to extend the top end a small amount as well which adds a bit of extra sparkle and shimmer with jazz cymbals. The slightly added bass and deeper extension in my opinion make the Q701 closer to neutral than they are stock. I liked them stock, but I was always adding a couple DB of bass boost, now there is no need to do that, and in my opinion the bass is better in terms of quality as well. 

 

This is from a couple hundred pages back, and I feel it shows accurately what I hear the difference to be.


Edited by jasonb - 2/6/16 at 7:58am
post #9280 of 9406
Just ordered one from Amazon. So excited to try it out.
Will hook it up to iBasso D14 and the source is my Sony laptop.
post #9281 of 9406

I just did the bass mod. I find it makes the cans a significantly more versatile. Being an open back system, they're really best for stuff that isn't super bass-heavy. When set up stock, they sound great for jazz, classical and rock. However, they were incredibly dissatisfying when I put on bass-intensive albums like El-P's "Cancer for Cure" or RTJ's "Run the Jewels II". After putting in some microfiber cloth, I find that the low end is much better, but doesn't screw up the overall sound profile. The mids and highs are just as prominent to me. I'd highly recommend it.


Edited by micjosell - 2/7/16 at 5:28pm
post #9282 of 9406
Quote:
Originally Posted by micjosell View Post
 

I just did the bass mod. I find it makes the cans a significantly more versatile. Being an open back system, they're really best for stuff that isn't super bass-heavy. When set up stock, they sound great for jazz, classical and rock. However, they were incredibly dissatisfying when I put on bass-intensive albums like El-P's "Cancer for Cure" or RTJ's "Run the Jewels II". After putting in some microfiber cloth, I find that the low end is much better, but doesn't screw up the overall sound profile. The mids and highs are just as prominent to me. I'd highly recommend it.

microfiber cloth?

first time i hear it, any chance you show us in pics where and how you puted it in the 701? and link to the microfiber cloth will be great.

post #9283 of 9406

Yeah, like the kind you'd clean glasses with. I guess foam would work too. The little cup covers with the "Q" on them rotate slightly counterclockwise if you stick a pin in and twist. You just cut the cloth to a square that'll fit in there, pop it in, and reattach the covers. This partially converts the cans into a semi-closed environment, leading to significantly stronger bass.

post #9284 of 9406
Have a question. Would the Asgrad2 be a good match for the Q701? How it would change the sound signature?

I currently have iBasso D14 dac/amp and while it produces enough volume, the max I could listen to is in high gain at 3 o'clock while the majority of songs I have them on high gain at 12 and some lower. However, I am not that impressed with the Q so far and I feel a better amp could help it but not sure which one and to what extent.
Please keep in mind I like bright cans with lots of clarity and details.
I also ordered the DT990Pro 250ohm with the Q and I like it much more than the Q (better details, punchier, clearer, crispier)
My source is my Sony laptop, Samsung galaxy 6 edge+.
post #9285 of 9406

It shouldn't change the sound signature as the output impedance is low enough. A pure class A amp with lots of power like the Asgard 2 should be a perfect pairing for the Q701 for my preferences (slightly cold can, warmth of class A + detail retreival of a nice amp). Sounds like you might need to try for different cans.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread