or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Q701 impressions thread - Page 598

post #8956 of 8965
Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone View Post

I would very much love to read a review of the Q701/Fiio e12 pairing. I'm ordering the Qs with an amp, and I'm torn. I'm convinced that the Objective2 is probably the best amp for the money, but the e12 is so sexy and portable. I really want to strap the e12 to my iPhone and walk around jamming my Q701s, even though I know it is completely unpractical as a portable headphone. XD

I used to have the E12 and it wasn't my favorite due to its closed in presentation. I sold the E12 pretty soon after getting the Cayin C5 since I found it superior in pretty much everything including the pairing with my Q's, so maybe it could be an option for you......
post #8957 of 8965
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter123 View Post


I used to have the E12 and it wasn't my favorite due to its closed in presentation. I sold the E12 pretty soon after getting the Cayin C5 since I found it superior in pretty much everything including the pairing with my Q's, so maybe it could be an option for you......


When you say "closed in presentation", do you mean a narrower soundstage? If so, I didn't notice that on my Q701+E12+Cowon X5 combo. I will listen again. The only thing I noticed when adding the E12 to the mix was:

 

1. The E12 can drive the Q701 effortlessly. I actually never had the volume level pass 12 O'Clock. 

2. With the E12, the bass seems a bit tighter and had some more slam to it

post #8958 of 8965
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDIT View Post


When you say "closed in presentation", do you mean a narrower soundstage? If so, I didn't notice that on my Q701+E12+Cowon X5 combo. I will listen again. The only thing I noticed when adding the E12 to the mix was:

1. The E12 can drive the Q701 effortlessly. I actually never had the volume level pass 12 O'Clock. 
2. With the E12, the bass seems a bit tighter and had some more slam to it

Yes, I mean a more narrow soundstage. Out of all the amps I've ever owned the E12 stands out as the one with the smallest soundstage (YMMV).

Edit: Come to think of it maybe the E11 didn't have a wider presentation than the E12.
Edited by peter123 - 7/12/15 at 5:07am
post #8959 of 8965
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter123 View Post

I used to have the E12 and it wasn't my favorite due to its closed in presentation. I sold the E12 pretty soon after getting the Cayin C5 since I found it superior in pretty much everything including the pairing with my Q's, so maybe it could be an option for you......
How about the Cayin C5 DAC? Wondering if it's worth investing the extra dough.
post #8960 of 8965
Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone View Post

How about the Cayin C5 DAC? Wondering if it's worth investing the extra dough.

I'm sorry I haven't heard it but I does not have the same amp section, the original C5 is way more powerful which is probably a good thing with the Q's.
post #8961 of 8965
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter123 View Post


I'm sorry I haven't heard it but I does not have the same amp section, the original C5 is way more powerful which is probably a good thing with the Q's.

I know it is a different amp section, but I've read that it is still very powerful. 

In fact, I've seen some complaints from people claiming that they can't even get the pot past 4. So, it sounds as if it would be more than powerful enough, even for the more power hungry Q701. I like the fact that it also has a DAC, though it is just a so-so DAC. I was just wondering if it is worth paying extra. I'm not even sure of my need for a DAC. I've just heard that the more you give the Qs to work with, the more amazing they are. So, I thought, why not have a combo that is portable rather than trying to carry a stack around. I know myself, and if I go with amp only, I'm going to wonder what a DAC could bring to the party. God, I should stay away from this hobby! I can feel the money fighting its way out of my wallet as we speak.

post #8962 of 8965
Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone View Post

I know it is a different amp section, but I've read that it is still very powerful. 
In fact, I've seen some complaints from people claiming that they can't even get the pot past 4. So, it sounds as if it would be more than powerful enough, even for the more power hungry Q701. I like the fact that it also has a DAC, though it is just a so-so DAC. I was just wondering if it is worth paying extra. I'm not even sure of my need for a DAC. I've just heard that the more you give the Qs to work with, the more amazing they are. So, I thought, why not have a combo that is portable rather than trying to carry a stack around. I know myself, and if I go with amp only, I'm going to wonder what a DAC could bring to the party. God, I should stay away from this hobby! I can feel the money fighting its way out of my wallet as we speak.

The original C5 has 800mw output the C5dac has 300mw. 300mw may or may not be enough but I'd still go with the more powerful one with the Q's, others may make different choices .

I've also read that the dac is the weak point of the combo version but as I said I haven't heard it myself but I know fir a fact that the original C5 and the Q's work great together .
post #8963 of 8965

Hey all, I saw someone asking about whether the HM5 large pads can fit the 701s, and I can confirm that they can fit without any jury rigging or any tape / glue. I left them stretched over a set of really large coffee mugs over night, and after that I stretched them as hard as I could manually without ripping them in half. Even after that it took a lot of effort to get them on, taking maybe 15-20 min per cup, and overall it was very frustrating to get them on. However, now that it's done I'm glad I did because they are really comfy. I do have a few concerns though about the durability, since it seems prone to tears with how tight the fit is and I can see some of the stitching loosening. As for the sound, as far as I can tell there isn't really a big difference between the stock foam pads, if there is a difference it's quite small.

 

Here's a few pictures of my cans (and sorry for the crappy lighting): http://imgur.com/a/ZEAQb


Edited by nicasen - 7/19/15 at 8:04am
post #8964 of 8965
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicasen View Post
 

Hey all, I saw someone asking about whether the HM5 large pads can fit the 701s, and I can confirm that they can fit without any jury rigging or any tape / glue. I left them stretched over a set of really large coffee mugs over night, and after that I stretched them as hard as I could manually without ripping them in half. Even after that it took a lot of effort to get them on, taking maybe 15-20 min per cup, and overall it was very frustrating to get them on. However, now that it's done I'm glad I did because they are really comfy. I do have a few concerns though about the durability, since it seems prone to tears with how tight the fit is and I can see some of the stitching loosening. As for the sound, as far as I can tell there isn't really a big difference between the stock foam pads, if there is a difference it's quite small.

 

Here's a few pictures of my cans (and sorry for the crappy lighting): http://imgur.com/a/ZEAQb

 

Thanks for sharing.  I never would have thought to try that, given the relative sizes.  I've got the angled and non-angled HM5 pads, and they're unlikely to go on any of my other cans.

:beerchug:

post #8965 of 8965

I was thinking of upgrading my pads to the K712 pads so I emailed AKG to find the price.

 

5021871                $ 44.44each pad               CUSHION, K 612,K 712,K702_Anniversary
+6.85shipping + CA Tax
 
That's nearly $100 just for a pair of pads!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread