Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Q701 impressions thread - Page 524

post #7846 of 7856
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post

I know you're in OK, so I'm guessing this isn't you, but I found this review of the K712s on Amazon wherein "the hole" is mentioned in comparison to the Q701s:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3E8BEJUTOGO9D/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R3E8BEJUTOGO9D

I am aware of this review and was reminded of it in posts here. I just read TDock's comparative review of the K712 and Q701, and putting that together with another comparison another posted here recently confirms my confidence that I would prefer the Q701, especially given my other headphones, which are generally warm and relatively dark.
post #7847 of 7856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liu Junyuan View Post

I am aware of this review and was reminded of it in posts here. I just read TDock's comparative review of the K712 and Q701, and putting that together with another comparison another posted here recently confirms my confidence that I would prefer the Q701, especially given my other headphones, which are generally warm and relatively dark.

 

It is good to have balance in ones options.  I think my Qs will revert to stock after I listen to them side-by-side with K712s.

post #7848 of 7856
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post
 

 

I know you're in OK, so I'm guessing this isn't you, but I found this review of the K712s on Amazon wherein "the hole" is mentioned in comparison to the Q701s:

 

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3E8BEJUTOGO9D/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R3E8BEJUTOGO9D


It isn't me as I bought my K712 early 2014 and I only had the Q701 with me for about 2 weeks now. I have read that review before though. Same with Tdocks review. I haven't heard the bass modded Q701 before so not sure how it compares. I do know the K712 isn't a bass modded Q701 as it has the bass port sticker. I am assuming the differences between the two soundwise other than pads are drivers and/or dampening. I can see people preferring one over the other. I find the K712 to get very dynamic and energetic while still maintaining it's composure at higher volumes, at least my pair.

post #7849 of 7856
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman1211 View Post


It isn't me as I bought my K712 early 2014 and I only had the Q701 with me for about 2 weeks now. I have read that review before though. Same with Tdocks review. I haven't heard the bass modded Q701 before so not sure how it compares. I do know the K712 isn't a bass modded Q701 as it has the bass port sticker. I am assuming the differences between the two soundwise other than pads are drivers and/or dampening. I can see people preferring one over the other. I find the K712 to get very dynamic and energetic while still maintaining it's composure at higher volumes, at least my pair.

 

LOL at the idea that AKG would just change the design of the Q701s, pull off the stickers and call it the K712!  Not saying that's what you said, but it came to mind as a little Head-Fi comedy ;)  Your review, and all the others I've read, made picking up a used pair a few minutes ago an easy decision.

post #7850 of 7856
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post
 

 

LOL at the idea that AKG would just change the design of the Q701s, pull off the stickers and call it the K712!  Not saying that's what you said, but it came to mind as a little Head-Fi comedy ;)  Your review, and all the others I've read, made picking up a used pair a few minutes ago an easy decision.


Yea, I guess people don't really give them the benefit of the doubt. I hope you enjoy them. Honestly it feels like they shifted a few decibels from the treble and upper midrange to the lower midrange and bass on the K712 and improved the overall refinement and sounstaging of the headphone. It still has that skyhigh(only appears on some systems) yet smooth and non-fatiguing treble extension found in the Q701.

post #7851 of 7856
I've just boxed up my Q701's ready for selling on. I can't live with the 2k peak any more. That frequency really does bother me. They're immaculate, black & Austrian so if anyone in the UK is tempted just drop me a pm.
post #7852 of 7856
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post
 

 

LOL at the idea that AKG would just change the design of the Q701s, pull off the stickers and call it the K712!  Not saying that's what you said, but it came to mind as a little Head-Fi comedy ;)  

Well they mucked up the K702 and called it a Q701:tongue:

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorrofox View Post

I've just boxed up my Q701's ready for selling on. I can't live with the 2k peak any more. That frequency really does bother me. They're immaculate, black & Austrian so if anyone in the UK is tempted just drop me a pm.
Pretty much the same here, 'cept I can't be bothered getting them out and boxing them.:ph34r:
post #7853 of 7856
I don't blame you as the retail packaging is awful. The box is in three parts!
post #7854 of 7856

All of this negativity on the Q701 is depressing but understandable given people's preferences. :triportsad:

 It certainly is making me more critical and hypersensitive to picking out flaws. Perhaps time to let the thread alone for a bit on my part. 

post #7855 of 7856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liu Junyuan View Post

All of this negativity on the Q701 is depressing but understandable given people's preferences. triportsad.gif
 It certainly is making me more critical and hypersensitive to picking out flaws. Perhaps time to let the thread alone for a bit on my part. 
No amount of negative Q701 posts will alter my positive perception of these phones. Yeah, there are the nay-sayers claiming they are repackaged K701s, or worse yet, that Quincy Jones was bought out by advertising professionals just to sell more Q701s. I use mine with several SS amps, like the Practical Devices XM6 or Fiio E17 / E09, and I love them for their crisp detail, adequate soundstage and comfort. Many complain about their performance, but I find their flat frequency response more true to the music, which I like. If I want warmer allure, I reach for my HD650s, plug into LD IV SE, and zone out--
post #7856 of 7856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle AL View Post


No amount of negative Q701 posts will alter my positive perception of these phones. Yeah, there are the nay-sayers claiming they are repackaged K701s, or worse yet, that Quincy Jones was bought out by advertising professionals just to sell more Q701s. I use mine with several SS amps, like the Practical Devices XM6 or Fiio E17 / E09, and I love them for their crisp detail, adequate soundstage and comfort. Many complain about their performance, but I find their flat frequency response more true to the music, which I like. If I want warmer allure, I reach for my HD650s, plug into LD IV SE, and zone out--

 

Yeah, I mean it's an "impressions" thread, so it invites it.  In my case, they work fantastically for what I really needed: effects and reverb spatialization placement.  I've used my MDR-V6s so much that the drivers are actually nice and loose and I get pretty good bass to measure against.  But when you start working with binaural audio at the same time as using multiband compression and other effects, the MDR-V6s sound like "a wall of sound" for each ear when compared to the Q701s.  They've also made me a LOT more curious about other AKG gear in the future, as I've had easier access to various Sennheiser, Sony, Pioneer, and a bunch of other common studio monitor and DJ class headphones over the years.  One of my instructors that's covering Mixing and Mastering finally added a set of HD 800s to his collection for reviewing mixes with FX and testing plugins (and a lot of newer reverb items from a couple vendors for use in a future class).  It's why I figured I'd give these a shot since I normally don't like open back headphones because of environmental cross contamination.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread