Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Q701 impressions thread - Page 508

post #7606 of 7616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshift Rider View Post

Me three (or four?) k701smile.gif  

Four. Yeah, definitely four. 😄
post #7607 of 7616

Hello, I am gonna try out Q701 soon,

 

I would like to know which equipment will deliver Q701's sound to fullest

 

What would I be needed to build a decent set up for Q701?

post #7608 of 7616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasiniri431 View Post
 

Hello, I am gonna try out Q701 soon,

 

I would like to know which equipment will deliver Q701's sound to fullest

 

What would I be needed to build a decent set up for Q701?

A dedicated DAC and an amp that can provide maybe at least a half Watt of clean power into the 62 ohm impedance of these cans should get ya real far... a Magni/Modi Schiit stack is usually a great place to start for a first DAC/amp combo at $200. You could probably spend less by getting a cheaper DAC and an amp that synergizes well.

post #7609 of 7616
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodgey4 View Post
 

A dedicated DAC and an amp that can provide maybe at least a half Watt of clean power into the 62 ohm impedance of these cans should get ya real far... a Magni/Modi Schiit stack is usually a great place to start for a first DAC/amp combo at $200. You could probably spend less by getting a cheaper DAC and an amp that synergizes well.

Or see if you can find a used Audio-GD DAC/Amp combo for $200-250.  Add shipping to your Schiit Stack and you'll be paying closer to $225 anyways so they're about equivalent price-wise.  But man, the DAC in the NFB-15 is way better than the Modi IMO.  It's super clean and detailed, which pairs really well with the detail of the Q.

post #7610 of 7616
Ya the NFB-15 is probably the best value for the Q's, if you can swing it, do it and you'll never look back!
post #7611 of 7616

After a week of listening. I still think my HDVD800 system sounds better than the Q701 on the DAC1+RPX35 on anything I have throw on it.

 

I think I need to upgrade my amp and dac to match the headphone.

Since it is an low impedance, I think balance is not really a good option since the impedance is too high to drive this can (doubled).

 

Is there any good single ended amp/dac out there that can drive the AKG to the detail level of HD800?

Maybe more mid? Faster dynamic? and more body and texture in the bass?

 

P.S.

I want to see the full potential of this phone, so money is not a problem here, I just need to save for years, but at least I will have a goal.

post #7612 of 7616
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHell View Post
 

After a week of listening. I still think my HDVD800 system sounds better than the Q701 on the DAC1+RPX35 on anything I have throw on it.

 

I think I need to upgrade my amp and dac to match the headphone.

Since it is an low impedance, I think balance is not really a good option since the impedance is too high to drive this can (doubled).

 

Is there any good single ended amp/dac out there that can drive the AKG to the detail level of HD800?

Maybe more mid? Faster dynamic? and more body and texture in the bass?

 

P.S.

I want to see the full potential of this phone, so money is not a problem here, I just need to save for years, but at least I will have a goal.

 

You might be barking up the wrong tree trying to get a $200 headphone to sound like a $1200 headphone.  Have you considered upgrading to the K812?

 

Also, if you want more from your bass, try the bass mod.

post #7613 of 7616
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodgey4 View Post

Ya the NFB-15 is probably the best value for the Q's, if you can swing it, do it and you'll never look back!

I'm looking at the NFB-15. Any retailers in the US that sell them, or is it straight from Audio GD?
post #7614 of 7616
Straight from AGD for a new one, no U.S. dealers I know of.
post #7615 of 7616
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodgey4 View Post

Straight from AGD for a new one, no U.S. dealers I know of.

This unfortunately.  You can also keep an eye out for used ones on the classifieds here.  There's not much difference between the NFB-15 models (NFB-15, NFB-15.12, NFB-15.32, NFB-15 (2014)) so you might be able to score a used one on the cheap.  Otherwise you just gotta figure the $30-40 shipping into the price and live with it.  If nothing else, I heard DHL delivers really quickly!

post #7616 of 7616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhart View Post
 

 

You might be barking up the wrong tree trying to get a $200 headphone to sound like a $1200 headphone.  Have you considered upgrading to the K812?

 

Also, if you want more from your bass, try the bass mod.

The bass quantity is there. It is actually more than I need. However, I was look for more quality. It seem only one part of the spectrum has been boosted, I just want it to be evenly boosted~ As an old flagship, they should have a potential here.

 

I have heard the K812 in the Toronto headfi meet. Did not quite like it. It was trying too hard to beat the other flagships. While doing it, it lost its AKG identity. It almost sounds wrong to my ear for most of classical I have tried on it. (BTW, it is not as sexy as the Q701 and K702 IMO)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread