or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Q701 impressions thread - Page 464

post #6946 of 9489
I use my D1 with my Q701 all the time and it works very well in my opinion.
post #6947 of 9489

Well guys, looks like I'm joining this club. My Q701 just arrived today.

 

I'm just getting my first impressions right now, but so far these are definitely living up to my expectations. I can't wait until I get a proper amp/dac for these things.

post #6948 of 9489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nec3 View Post
 

So I've been told by a retailer that the ADL iHP-35X will improve the sound of the Q701's. True or false? I don't even know anymore about the depths of the audiophile world.

Then there's the ATH-A900X forum where a guy modded his A900X cables and it sounds better.

I'm just feeling a bit disappointed that the headphones don't come with the best cables after all the money that has been spent on them.

Don't get your high hopes with cables..........:biggrin:

post #6949 of 9489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nec3 View Post
 

So I've been told by a retailer that the ADL iHP-35X will improve the sound of the Q701's. True or false? I don't even know anymore about the depths of the audiophile world.

Then there's the ATH-A900X forum where a guy modded his A900X cables and it sounds better.

I'm just feeling a bit disappointed that the headphones don't come with the best cables after all the money that has been spent on them.

 

Trust me the stock cable sounds excellent! I have that ADL cable(Bought from HeadphoneShop in Toronto as well, apparently "that retailer" pushes that cable with every Q701 purchase) with my Q701's and in my opinion it is not worth it. Good reasons to buy another cable for the Q701 is to get one of a different color (I hated the bright green XD) and length if you so desired.

 

To be fair I do hear a noticeable difference between the stock and the Adl cable (stock cable being warmer whereas the adl is brighter with tighter bass and the brightness makes it seem more detailed) but with that being said it could just be perception bias although I do hear the same difference each time I try both the cables. At the most the difference is that they have slightly different sound signatures and which sounds better will be up to you, for me it is the ADL for my modded Q701's.

 

Personally I have regretted every single expensive cable purchase in audio as you will be able to find other cables with comparable quality for far cheaper prices that perform just as well. If you search around ebay you can find quality cables for the Q701 for a fraction of the cost of that ADL cable (Make sure it is compatible with the Q701's in the ad description as it seems Akg uses a proprietary connector at one end, otherwise I would have recommended monoprice as they make excellent cables but don't seem to make one specifically for the q701, I may be wrong in that assumption though).

So don't worry the stock cables are fine. :beerchug: 


Edited by johanchandy - 6/14/14 at 2:21pm
post #6950 of 9489

Maybe i should start making cables for Q i might get rich.

post #6951 of 9489
Quote:
Originally Posted by i luvmusic 2 View Post
 

Maybe i should start making cables for Q i might get rich.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

You should man! 

post #6952 of 9489

Money saved! Thanks for the input everyone :)

post #6953 of 9489

 If you can solder you can make the cable for waaaayyyy cheaper than buying a made up cable for Q.Mogami 2832 cable $1.26/ ft(this cable is 4 conductors this is what i used)550 paracord $5.99/50 ft. plugs your choice and a bit of know how that's how cheap to make your own cable.   

post #6954 of 9489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nec3 View Post
 

I'm just feeling a bit disappointed that the headphones don't come with the best cables after all the money that has been spent on them.

I'm just feeling a bit more disappointed that the headphones don't come with a comfortable headband and better ear pads and bass optimisation, after all the money that has been spent on them. :p

post #6955 of 9489
Quote:
Originally Posted by i luvmusic 2 View Post
 

 If you can solder you can make the cable for waaaayyyy cheaper than buying a made up cable for Q.Mogami 2832 cable $1.26/ ft(this cable is 4 conductors this is what i used)550 paracord $5.99/50 ft. plugs your choice and a bit of know how that's how cheap to make your own cable.   

I wanted a shorter cable, got a nicely made 1.2M one from thebay for $15.50 posted. Can't really comment on sonic differences :rolleyes: as I don't use the Q701 much.

 

edit: And it's not green.:bigsmile_face: 

 

@johanchandy "Akg uses a proprietary connector at one end" it's not, it's a 3-pin mini XLR.


Edited by jimmers - 6/14/14 at 5:00pm
post #6956 of 9489

Oh no! forgot to say i made i few of DIY cable for the Q different colours / lenght and the pin out for The Q701 is reverse.:wink:

post #6957 of 9489
Quote:
Originally Posted by i luvmusic 2 View Post
 

Maybe i should start making cables for Q i might get rich.

 

I think what you need to start making are those stands :D

 

On the cable front, the stock cables are good.  I prefer my DIY, as it does seem a little... what?  clearer?  more detailed?  Something along those lines.  And because I could control length and color.  I had Redco make me one, but I was unaware of AKG's non-standard wiring, so they wired it the standard way.  Left and right were switched.  I cut it up and made short interconnects for my Stack o' Schiit, which look pretty good with the white Techflex.

 

I got Mogami W2799 (4-conductor; thin and supple when stripped of sheath and shield) for $0.64/foot from Redco.  That's $0.16/foot per wire.  


Edited by ThurstonX - 6/14/14 at 5:57pm
post #6958 of 9489
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post
 

 

I think what you need to start making are those stands :D

 

On the cable front, the stock cables are good.  I prefer my DIY, as it does seem a little... what?  clearer?  more detailed?  Something along those lines.  And because I could control length and color.  I had Redco make me one, but I was unaware of AKG's non-standard wiring, so they wired it the standard way.  Left and right were switched.  I cut it up and made short interconnects for my Stack o' Schiit, which look pretty good with the white Techflex.

 

I got Mogami W2799 (4-conductor; thin and supple when stripped of sheath and shield) for $0.64/foot from Redco.  That's $0.16/foot per wire.  

Yup they are reversed when i wired mine up i thought i screwed up (i'am good at that:biggrin:)then i realized they are reversed.Regarding the stand i made up one a while ago and i never finish it.

 


Edited by i luvmusic 2 - 6/14/14 at 6:07pm
post #6959 of 9489
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmers View Post
 

I'm just feeling a bit more disappointed that the headphones don't come with a comfortable headband and better ear pads and bass optimisation, after all the money that has been spent on them. :p



A flat headband would be nice. I like the earpads. I like the bass though, it's just right for me. Although if the Q's came with more bass, I wouldn't mind that either.

post #6960 of 9489

So, question: I know the Q701s are power-hungry, but can I run them off of my PC directly? I have a sound card if some amping is necessary, but I don't really have the money for an amp right now.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread