or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Q701 impressions thread - Page 456

post #6826 of 9490

I took my Q701's to a hotel and they sounded really off, to the point I preferred to using my V-Moda's.
The issues were;

- Non-impactful bass
- Narrow soundstage
- Thin soundstage
- Highs that aren't sparkly

Factors that could be considered;
1. 3 floors above ground (ear pressure?)
2. Bad usb ports in the laptop (Asus K55N)
3. Not enough power from the wall socket

Nonetheless, feels great to be home and running the Q701's again at top notch.

post #6827 of 9490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nec3 View Post
 

I took my Q701's to a hotel and they sounded really off, to the point I preferred to using my V-Moda's.
The issues were;

- Non-impactful bass
- Narrow soundstage
- Thin soundstage
- Highs that aren't sparkly

 

sounds like they were simply underpowered, or the plug didn't connect properly (i.e. a short circuit between the two channels, which would have sounded truly dreadful). where did you plug them in?


 

Factors that could be considered;
1. 3 floors above ground (ear pressure?)
2. Bad usb ports in the laptop (Asus K55N)
3. Not enough power from the wall socket

 

  1. did you feel ear pressure?
    • if yes: too late to try otherwise...
    • if no: very unlikely, unless the hotel was somewhere high up in the himalayas.
  2. possible, if the port's power output is below the usb specs. if this is the case, you should be able to recreate this any time at home.
  3. definitely not. if your system would have wanted to draw too much power from the wall plug, the fuse would have failed. the hotel's fuse. that is.
post #6828 of 9490
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampair View Post
 

 

  1. did you feel ear pressure?
    • if yes: too late to try otherwise...
    • if no: very unlikely, unless the hotel was somewhere high up in the himalayas.
  2. possible, if the port's power output is below the usb specs. if this is the case, you should be able to recreate this any time at home.
  3. definitely not. if your system would have wanted to draw too much power from the wall plug, the fuse would have failed. the hotel's fuse. that is.


Unfortunately this was my friend's laptop. The only thing different was that of course it's his laptop and not my PC. My PC is set up to have absolutely no audio filters or effects, his might have had a few. I used WindowsMediaPlayer instead of Foobar.

I usually took hot showers before I settled and listened to music, so I wouldn't really know if it was ear pressure.
Oh well, like I said, I just wanted to share my experience and odd phenomenon with the off-sounding Q701's.

post #6829 of 9490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nec3 View Post


Unfortunately this was my friend's laptop. The only thing different was that of course it's his laptop and not my PC. My PC is set up to have absolutely no audio filters or effects, his might have had a few. I used WindowsMediaPlayer instead of Foobar.

I usually took hot showers before I settled and listened to music, so I wouldn't really know if it was ear pressure.
Oh well, like I said, I just wanted to share my experience and odd phenomenon with the off-sounding Q701's.

 



My Q's always sounded awful when plugged straight into my HP notebook PC's headphone jack.
post #6830 of 9490

someone here used\using the UD110 dac with the Q701? im looking for an upgrade dac and im asking myself if it's worth the money...

post #6831 of 9490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundsgoodtome View Post
 

Been awhile since I've stopped in here but I found these wool comfort straps finally. I posted about it awhile back but didn't have a link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hand-Woven-Pure-Wool-Headband-Cushion-For-AKG-K701-K702-Q701-Headphones-/261445245520?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item3cdf59da50

Thank you very much !!

post #6832 of 9490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundsgoodtome View Post
 

Been awhile since I've stopped in here but I found these wool comfort straps finally. I posted about it awhile back but didn't have a link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hand-Woven-Pure-Wool-Headband-Cushion-For-AKG-K701-K702-Q701-Headphones-/261445245520?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item3cdf59da50


Thanks! looks like a must have for Q701.
Did you buy it? as comfy as they look? :D

post #6833 of 9490

I have a question: Is it true that the headband bumps have been removed in the newer Q701s?

 

Thanks.

post #6834 of 9490
Quote:
Originally Posted by XIX47 View Post
 

I have a question: Is it true that the headband bumps have been removed in the newer Q701s?

 

Thanks.

I bought mine a few months ago, form amazon.
the headband bumps are definitely there!

post #6835 of 9490
Quote:
Originally Posted by XIX47 View Post
 

I have a question: Is it true that the headband bumps have been removed in the newer Q701s?

 

Thanks.


You may be thinking of the newer K702's.

post #6836 of 9490

Gotcha, someone mentioned that the bumps may have been removed in the newer versions. Thanks.

post #6837 of 9490
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mike8 View Post


Thanks! looks like a must have for Q701.

Did you buy it? as comfy as they look? biggrin.gif

.

I have not, sold mine off and never really found the bumps problematic (I use conditioner). smily_headphones1.gif

I just remember people asking for different covers and I mentioned running into these but couldn't find the link then so thought I'd share.
post #6838 of 9490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundsgoodtome View Post
I have not, sold mine off and never really found the bumps problematic (I use conditioner). smily_headphones1.gif

Sounds like the easiest way to get rid of the bumps problem , might do the same.

post #6839 of 9490
Conditioner lol?

If the bumps can still be felt through the cover you could slip a small foam under the middle two then put the cover on.
post #6840 of 9490

To this day, I still cannot fathom the rationale behind slapping bumps on the headband.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread