or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Q701 impressions thread - Page 446

post #6676 of 9479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonzeanse View Post
 


IMO, modifications should only have to be done on a personal basis. If it's necessary to fix a problem that the consensus has with a product, then the company should reassess the issue. For example, I personally can't stand the discomfort of Grado headphones at all, but that doesn't matter to most people who use them. I don't think I've ever seen a positive comment for the Q701 headband, however. Even the people who say that they can break it in complain at first.

 

Not that I expect AKG to remedy this issue. If they've gone this long, they'll probably continue making them like that.


They have remedied the issue... on all the new models in the K7xx series that have come out since.  If you want to pay an extra few hundred bucks for a different headband and pads, feel free.  I'll take the significantly cheaper one with nearly the same sound and just mod it (or live with it).

post #6677 of 9479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhart View Post
 


They have remedied the issue... on all the new models in the K7xx series that have come out since.  If you want to pay an extra few hundred bucks for a different headband and pads, feel free.  I'll take the significantly cheaper one with nearly the same sound and just mod it (or live with it).


I was talking about the Quincy Jones line specifically, not the K7xx series. I know the K702 does not have this issue. On the other hand, having never heard a K702, I can't tell if it's really that much different from a Q-series.

post #6678 of 9479

Hello fellow Q701 users!

 

I've had my headphones for just over a year now, but the ear pads are getting a bit grimy. I've tried handwashing them but I think due to the high temps in my room (25C-30C) it returns to its grimy self quite quickly.

 

Is there any other method of washing I can try, or does anyone here know where I can get a pair of replacement pads (I live in the UK).

 

Thank you all very much for your time.

post #6679 of 9479
30C!
post #6680 of 9479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorrofox View Post

30C!

 

It's a very small loft room with a monstrous gaming PC. Saving up the £ to buy a new PC which doesn't kick out as much heat. Also might move rooms (but this is the only room upstairs with a phone line socket).

post #6681 of 9479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archernick View Post

It's a very small loft room with a monstrous gaming PC. Saving up the £ to buy a new PC which doesn't kick out as much heat. Also might move rooms (but this is the only room upstairs with a phone line socket).

That's not a healthy ambient temperature my friend.
post #6682 of 9479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorrofox View Post


That's not a healthy ambient temperature my friend.

 

I know don't worry. It only ever reaches that in summer. The sun on the roof doesn't help. Right now I'm at 21C so it's all good. Anyway, got any advice for my initial question?

post #6683 of 9479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archernick View Post

I know don't worry. It only ever reaches that in summer. The sun on the roof doesn't help. Right now I'm at 21C so it's all good. Anyway, got any advice for my initial question?

It's not easy finding Q pads eh? I'm pretty sure the K702 pads fit but they're not angled like those for the Q701. However this does seem to tone down the 2k treble spike according to reports I've read. Thomann sell them here...

http://www.thomann.de/gb/akg_k_702_gel_ear_pad.htm?sid=b2b69e6fea787782881f02b8a1939b42
post #6684 of 9479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorrofox View Post


It's not easy finding Q pads eh? I'm pretty sure the K702 pads fit but they're not angled like those for the Q701. However this does seem to tone down the 2k treble spike according to reports I've read. Thomann sell them here...

http://www.thomann.de/gb/akg_k_702_gel_ear_pad.htm?sid=b2b69e6fea787782881f02b8a1939b42

 

2K treble spike? Not sure I've noticed it.

 

If someone here can confirm that they fit on the Q701's then I'll probably buy them if my next washing attempt doesn't last long.

 

Thanks <3

post #6685 of 9479

Wait, is that £38 for ONE ear pad? Meaning I'd have to buy two?

 

That's stupid.

post #6686 of 9479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archernick View Post

2K treble spike? Not sure I've noticed it.

If someone here can confirm that they fit on the Q701's then I'll probably buy them if my next washing attempt doesn't last long.

Thanks <3

My pleasure, I hope it works out.

Yes, there's a spike in the treble at 2k that was just too much for me so I EQ'ed it out. Not perfect but not bad.
post #6687 of 9479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorrofox View Post


My pleasure, I hope it works out.

Yes, there's a spike in the treble at 2k that was just too much for me so I EQ'ed it out. Not perfect but not bad.

 

Ah, It might be cos I have mine EQ'ed for a bit more bass via my Asus Xonar Essence STX.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archernick View Post
 

Wait, is that £38 for ONE ear pad? Meaning I'd have to buy two?

 

That's stupid.

 

Is this true?

post #6688 of 9479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archernick View Post

Ah, It might be cos I have mine EQ'ed for a bit more bass via my Asus Xonar Essence STX.


Is this true?

I honestly don't know but it does say "one unit" so I guess so. That is very expensive.

Have you done the bass port mod? Might be a better option if you're looking for more bass. Have a look at HeadRoom for a FR chart. Try taking out the 2k spike.
Edited by Solrighal - 4/30/14 at 4:46am
post #6689 of 9479

I've just been in a 1 hour trance, thanks to q701[modded]. DSOTM & The Doors.

post #6690 of 9479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorrofox View Post

It's not easy finding Q pads eh? I'm pretty sure the K702 pads fit but they're not angled like those for the Q701. However this does seem to tone down the 2k treble spike according to reports I've read. Thomann sell them here...

http://www.thomann.de/gb/akg_k_702_gel_ear_pad.htm?sid=b2b69e6fea787782881f02b8a1939b42
The regular K701/K702 line was first to have the angled pads, should still be unless AKG changed them the same time they changed the headband. It was a big advertised feature... But then, the K612 and K712 have even pads without an angle.

Btw, I can easily swap my Q and K pads.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread