or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Q701 impressions thread - Page 440

post #6586 of 9479

The Q's have definitely turned my library around, with a lot more classical music. 

post #6587 of 9479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzziekiwi View Post
 

The Q's have definitely turned my library around, with a lot more classical music. 

 

Did the same to me, the Q701 definitely made me start listening to classical music.

post #6588 of 9479
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62ohm View Post
 

 

Did the same to me, the Q701 definitely made me start listening to classical music.

Recommend any good scores? Just downloaded The Chronicles of Narnia - The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe; and James Cameron's Avatar score. 


Edited by Fuzziekiwi - 4/18/14 at 7:34pm
post #6589 of 9479
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62ohm View Post
 

 

Did the same to me, the Q701 definitely made me start listening to classical music.

Ditto!

Except I started listening to a lot more anime based J-Pop music... (My profile picture? :D)
Folk and techno/edm that has really awesome square waves.

post #6590 of 9479
The Q helped me rediscover my love for jazz. No more shall bebop be lacking in dynamics and soundstage. Most of what I listen to now are jazz.
post #6591 of 9479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Za Warudo View Post

The Q helped me rediscover my love for jazz. No more shall bebop be lacking in dynamics and soundstage. Most of what I listen to now are jazz.

Very nice.

I see you own the X1 and HE-400, how do you think they compare to the Q's? 

post #6592 of 9479

^2 Signs of a great headphone. I used to not be able to stand Jazz. The Mad Dogs and ESW9 changed that for me.

post #6593 of 9479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzziekiwi View Post
 

Recommend any good scores? Just downloaded The Chronicles of Narnia - The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe; and James Cameron's Avatar score. 

 

Try the album "Tchaikovsky at Tea Time" and "Mahler Sinfonie Nr. 1 Titan". I also like Olafur Arnalds, though his works lean towards neo-classical rather than conventional classical.

post #6594 of 9479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzziekiwi View Post

Very nice.
I see you own the X1 and HE-400, how do you think they compare to the Q's? 

HE400 is kind of the polar opposite of the Q. The meaty and tight bass makes it great for electronic music, the colored midrange makes not so great for acoustic. The treble is weird in that it's dark but peaky. The soundstage is a lot narrower but deeper than the Q with good imaging.

X1 is like a much warmer Q. It's a fun, nonfatiguing headphone with good big soundstage and imaging. The bass is a bit loose compared to other two. I like it for pop music and movies.
Edited by Za Warudo - 4/18/14 at 7:56pm
post #6595 of 9479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Za Warudo View Post

The Q helped me rediscover my love for jazz. No more shall bebop be lacking in dynamics and soundstage. Most of what I listen to now are jazz.

 

Jazz has been one of my favorite genres to get back into once I got the Q's.  But the stuff that really gets me going is the trip hop and psybient stuff.  Electronic music, but not dance music.  Trip hop is like jazz meets electronica (http://youtu.be/3wxJu-X0zVo) and psybient is chill electronica with layers and layers that are all revealed on the detailed Q's (http://youtu.be/yGm4e0VN8Ys). 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzziekiwi View Post
 

Very nice.

I see you own the X1 and HE-400, how do you think they compare to the Q's? 

 

I have the X1 and I feel that the modded Q does everything better.  The one thing the X1 has going for it over the Q is quantity of bass, but I find the bass to be too loose and intruding when compared to the Q.  The mids are walked over by the bass and the highs don't have the sparkle of the Q.  It's a very FUN headphone, but it doesn't have the detail or clarity of the Q, which is what I love.  Oh and of course the soundstage is about half the size of the Q.

 

That said, on its own merits, the X1 is a fine headphone.  I just don't think it's in the same league as the Q701 once you fix the lack of bass.  The fact that it's more expensive than the Q is a head scratcher, but I guess the K712 bumped the Q701 price down.

 

I really want to hear the HE-400.  I've heard that the bass of planar magnetics is on a different level...quantity with definition and detail.  The one criticism I've read about the HE-400 is that the mids seem really recessed because of the V shaped sound?

post #6596 of 9479

Just wow. Yes I know it's a child movie but damn does this sound good..

 

post #6597 of 9479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzziekiwi View Post
 

Just wow. Yes I know it's a child movie but damn does this sound good..

 

 

I don't care what anyone says... "Let It Go" gives me chills every time I hear it.

post #6598 of 9479

Okay sorry for the double post but MAN!  I just plugged my X1's into the M-stage for the first time since I got it.  I know these headphones aren't hard to drive, but the amping really seems to have improved the sound on these. 

 

They're warmer than the Q701, bass is bigger and looser but on certain genres that's a big plus.  The mids and highs are just less... out front than on the Q. 

 

As an example, I was A/B'ing with "Skyfall" by Adele.  (I tried hard to keep the volume adjusted evenly as the X1 is a lot louder.)  On the Q, her voice was front and center and so sharp and clear, while the orchestra was almost playing backup.  Her voice was always the star of the track, even though the orchestra was still powerful.  On the X1, the orchestra was big and enveloping and powerful while her voice seemed to be veiled and almost lost in the crowd, especially toward the end when the orchestra was really going at it.  It was more like the orchestra was the focus and the voice was just another instrument to be blended in. They both sounded really good, but in different ways. 

 

Anyone want to help me translate those impressions into audiophile terms?  And is it possible that the amp made the bass on the X1 tighter?

post #6599 of 9479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhart View Post
 

  And is it possible that the amp made the bass on the X1 tighter?

 

Sure is. Tighter bass often results from lower output impedance of the amp, as it better tames the back current generated by the headphones. Anyone who has an amp with output impedance switch (not gain switch) can try and see what difference does it make.

post #6600 of 9479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhart View Post
 

Okay sorry for the double post but MAN!  I just plugged my X1's into the M-stage for the first time since I got it.  I know these headphones aren't hard to drive, but the amping really seems to have improved the sound on these. 

 

They're warmer than the Q701, bass is bigger and looser but on certain genres that's a big plus.  The mids and highs are just less... out front than on the Q. 

 

As an example, I was A/B'ing with "Skyfall" by Adele.  (I tried hard to keep the volume adjusted evenly as the X1 is a lot louder.)  On the Q, her voice was front and center and so sharp and clear, while the orchestra was almost playing backup.  Her voice was always the star of the track, even though the orchestra was still powerful.  On the X1, the orchestra was big and enveloping and powerful while her voice seemed to be veiled and almost lost in the crowd, especially toward the end when the orchestra was really going at it.  It was more like the orchestra was the focus and the voice was just another instrument to be blended in. They both sounded really good, but in different ways. 

 

Anyone want to help me translate those impressions into audiophile terms?  And is it possible that the amp made the bass on the X1 tighter?

 

Those terms are audiophile enough for me!

I understand what you are saying!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread