or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Q701 impressions thread - Page 434

post #6496 of 9479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post


Hmm, I want to look into this Beresford. Do they make a stand-alone DAC? I'm actually seeking an optical-input DAC, though I may also go for the Schiit one Stillhart mentioned.

 

Beresford only makes one DAC.

It has two Coax (RCA) SPDIF inputs and two Optical Toslink SPDIF inputs.

The headphone jack does a nice job of driving Q701s.

 

It ain't got no USB input, if you think that's a deal breaker for you!


Edited by Chris J - 4/11/14 at 4:13pm
post #6497 of 9479
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudMoose View Post


If you're really hurting for a DAC with optical you could pick up a FiiO D3 (24/192), it can be had for like 30USD and is very good at that price point.
Well I'm using the DAC in my sb omni right now. I doubt a 30$ fiio will be a noticeable improvement. No, I'm hoping the schiit will be in the 100-200 range (and perform accordingly).
post #6498 of 9479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhart View Post


Well I'm using the DAC in my sb omni right now. I doubt a 30$ fiio will be a noticeable improvement. No, I'm hoping the schiit will be in the 100-200 range (and perform accordingly).


I have no idea why I'm asking this question, as I sort of know the answer. Although your SB omni outputs 600 ohms... @_@
I'm guessing the
se values are just marketting tactics?

post #6499 of 9479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nec3 View Post


I have no idea why I'm asking this question, as I sort of know the answer. Although your SB omni outputs 600 ohms... @_@

I'm guessing these values are just marketting tactics?
Ohms relates to the amp. I'm not using the amp in the omni so the output impedance shouldn't matter.

But yeah the marketing materials say it supports up to 600 ohms.
post #6500 of 9479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhart View Post


Ohms relates to the amp. I'm not using the amp in the omni so the output impedance shouldn't matter.

But yeah the marketing materials say it supports up to 600 ohms.



Sorry, I've never had an amplifier/soundcard dedicated to gaming. I'm not really sure how that end of hardware specifications work.

post #6501 of 9479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nec3 View Post



Sorry, I've never had an amplifier/soundcard dedicated to gaming. I'm not really sure how that end of hardware specifications work.
It processes the sound (DSP), has a DAC and an amp. You use it for all three or use an external amp or use an amp and DAC. You can read up on the Nameless guide for more details...
post #6502 of 9479

Do any of you AKG 7 series owners have an issue where the elastic on one side is much looser than the other? My K702 that I bought a month ago are much tighter on the left side, and as a result the right earcup keeps slipping down as the headband "bottoms out" because the elastic is much weaker on that side. I am considering sending it in under the warranty, but if a lot of the headbands are like this I don't want to waste my time. I don't even know if elastic tension is something quality control looks at.

post #6503 of 9479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjolnir125 View Post
 

Do any of you AKG 7 series owners have an issue where the elastic on one side is much looser than the other? My K702 that I bought a month ago are much tighter on the left side, and as a result the right earcup keeps slipping down as the headband "bottoms out" because the elastic is much weaker on that side. I am considering sending it in under the warranty, but if a lot of the headbands are like this I don't want to waste my time. I don't even know if elastic tension is something quality control looks at.



Send it in! Unless if you can find a way to fix it yourself, my q701's are third-hand and still have some elasticity to it...

post #6504 of 9479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nec3 View Post
 



Send it in! Unless if you can find a way to fix it yourself, my q701's are third-hand and still have some elasticity to it...

 

Yeah the elastic is still elastic, it just requires a lot less force to bottom out than the left side elastic.

post #6505 of 9479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjolnir125 View Post

Do any of you AKG 7 series owners have an issue where the elastic on one side is much looser than the other? My K702 that I bought a month ago are much tighter on the left side, and as a result the right earcup keeps slipping down as the headband "bottoms out" because the elastic is much weaker on that side. I am considering sending it in under the warranty, but if a lot of the headbands are like this I don't want to waste my time. I don't even know if elastic tension is something quality control looks at.
Sounds like a warranty issue to me. Mine doesn't do that.
post #6506 of 9479

I sold my K702's a long time ago, when the LCD-2s came out and I purchased them.  I have since missed its sound signature.

 

The Q701's do not disappoint! And to me are extremely comfortably light.  I was expecting them to sound too sterile with the sabre dac but its actually really damn good.  The amp in the Compass 2 doesn't give these justice,  the M-Stage is a better amp for these by a long shot.

 

I have a very fond memory of these line of headphones~ And if the Q701's sound slightly different than the 702's, then that difference is going to be quite slight for most ears. They have the unique day 0 qualities~ As they burn in I expect the treble bite to mellow out just a tinge by many hours of use.

 

What kills me is some people think these cans have like no punch to the the lower registers, but that is far from the truth.  It is just very clean and well extended~


Edited by RitzyBusiness - 4/12/14 at 3:54pm
post #6507 of 9479
Quote:
Originally Posted by RitzyBusiness View Post

As they burn in I expect the treble bite to mellow out just a tinge by many hours of use

Good luck with this.
post #6508 of 9479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorrofox View Post


Good luck with this.


Its what happened with my 702's, they weren't as sharp as they where on day 1.  Only change I noticed tbh lol

post #6509 of 9479
That 3db lift at 2k went straight for my throat. I guess I must be sensitive to that frequency. I actually managed to eliminate it in JRiver. Now I've bought the HD650's and I'm on pause now. The Senn's pair well with my brain I guess. Smooth.
post #6510 of 9479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorrofox View Post

That 3db lift at 2k went straight for my throat. I guess I must be sensitive to that frequency. I actually managed to eliminate it in JRiver. Now I've bought the HD650's and I'm on pause now. The Senn's pair well with my brain I guess. Smooth.


Did you just buy the HD650? Congrats, you officially have the Head-fi bug

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread