or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Q701 impressions thread - Page 419

post #6271 of 9484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorrofox View Post

Agreed. CD is more than good enough. I have a few 24-bit versions of CD's and I can't hear a difference.

 

If it's of the same master, definitely.  The trick is, did the 24/96 or 24/192 (or 24/88.2 SACDs, if you can find them) get remastered?  And that's only relevant if the remaster is better, IYO, than whatever you already own.  Kind of a crap shoot.  I've got some hi-res that definitely sound better, and some that don't, at least not to me.  It's a lot to invest in an album you already own, that's for sure.

post #6272 of 9484
+1 on remaster being heard as audible difference between cd and hdtracks. There's a great write-up on what was settled as CD quality and what out ears can perceive here on head-fi.
post #6273 of 9484

I am thinking about buying the Q701. I currently own the DT770 Pro 250 ohm, and I just find the bass too bloated and boomy for my taste. I like a warm to neutral type of sound. I heard the Q701 a couple years ago at a friend's place. I was rather impressed. I am willing to give up some of the bass on the DT770 Pro in order to get a more tight, refined, and controlled low end on the AKG. I am also interested in that wonderful soundstage of the Q701 as well. Has anyone here done a direct comparison between the two ?


Edited by DW75 - 4/1/14 at 7:43pm
post #6274 of 9484
Quote:
Originally Posted by DW75 View Post

I am thinking about buying the Q701. I currently own the DT770 Pro 250 ohm, and I just find the bass too bloated and boomy for my taste. I like a warm to neutral type of sound. I heard the Q701 a couple years ago at a friend's place. I was rather impressed. I am willing to give up some of the bass on the DT770 Pro in order to get a more tight, refined, and controlled low end on the AKG. I am also interested in that wonderful soundstage of the Q701 as well. Has anyone here done a direct comparison between the two ?
I once had both, kept Q701. Nuff said
post #6275 of 9484
I just want to say...

If there's anyone out there who's using Q701's un-amped and with a mediocre source then you are cheating yourselves. I bought an ODAC & O2 for my Q's and they have been transformed. The ODAC & O2 combined, brand new, are cheaper than the Q's. You owe it to yourselves.
post #6276 of 9484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorrofox View Post

I just want to say...

If there's anyone out there who's using Q701's un-amped and with a mediocre source then you are cheating yourselves. I bought an ODAC & O2 for my Q's and they have been transformed. The ODAC & O2 combined, brand new, are cheaper than the Q's. You owe it to yourselves.

Interested to know if there is a big difference in SQ and listening experience between E18 and your new combo.

post #6277 of 9484
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeap69 View Post

Interested to know if there is a big difference in SQ and listening experience between E18 and your new combo.

That is an excellent question my friend and one I thought hard about last night as I was listening to my desktop rig.

The difference is massive! Seriously. The only benefit the E18 brings over nothing at all is power. Volume & headroom are increased. Nothing else changes. If it does then I can't hear it.

The same music via the ODAC & O2 is transformed. The detail is greatly enhanced, the soundstage actually becomes slightly smaller but far tighter and more focused. There is a much greater sense of space as well, particularly with acoustic music. Dynamics are also handled far better and are bigger but at the same time less dramatic. That's a difficult one to put into words actually.

The bass is plentiful yet totally under control (my Q's are bass-modded - YMMV). Treble is now sweet and full, yet delicate when required, and the mids are to die for.

Here's a thing - since I hooked up the ODAC & O2 I haven't given one thought to EQ or tone controls. Not once.

I must also say that, surprisingly for me, the above applies to every genre of music I've thrown at it, from George Winston to Rammstein & everything in between its better. Even fairly low bit-rate files are handled well.

Are there better DAC's and amps out there? Very probably. Not at this price though.
post #6278 of 9484

Thanks for that detailed response. I am intrigued to find out the difference between the E18 and the Hifi-M8 when it arrives. Perhaps, desktop DAC and amp are next on my shopping list. Enjoy your desktop combo.

post #6279 of 9484
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeap69 View Post

Thanks for that detailed response. I am intrigued to find out the difference between the E18 and the Hifi-M8 when it arrives. Perhaps, desktop DAC and amp are next on my shopping list. Enjoy your desktop combo.

Have you ordered a Hifiman-M8? It's supposed to be good. For the money it should be.
post #6280 of 9484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorrofox View Post


Have you ordered a Hifiman-M8? It's supposed to be good. For the money it should be.

Centrance Hifi-M8 I think it is. Yes I have ordered but it is out of stock everywhere. It seems it will be available after 2 to 4 weeks. :(

post #6281 of 9484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorrofox View Post


That is an excellent question my friend and one I thought hard about last night as I was listening to my desktop rig.

The difference is massive! Seriously. The only benefit the E18 brings over nothing at all is power. Volume & headroom are increased. Nothing else changes. If it does then I can't hear it.

The same music via the ODAC & O2 is transformed. The detail is greatly enhanced, the soundstage actually becomes slightly smaller but far tighter and more focused. There is a much greater sense of space as well, particularly with acoustic music. Dynamics are also handled far better and are bigger but at the same time less dramatic. That's a difficult one to put into words actually.

The bass is plentiful yet totally under control (my Q's are bass-modded - YMMV). Treble is now sweet and full, yet delicate when required, and the mids are to die for.

Here's a thing - since I hooked up the ODAC & O2 I haven't given one thought to EQ or tone controls. Not once.

I must also say that, surprisingly for me, the above applies to every genre of music I've thrown at it, from George Winston to Rammstein & everything in between its better. Even fairly low bit-rate files are handled well.

Are there better DAC's and amps out there? Very probably. Not at this price though.

 

Have you tried the O2 without the ODAC (and vice versa) to see how much of the changes are attributable to the Amp and how much to the DAC?  I'd be very curious to hear about that!  For example, you can run the ODAC through the E18 and you can run the O2 direct from your phone or whatever.

 

Something like that would be really helpful for people with limited budgets looking for the best bang for the buck...

post #6282 of 9484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhart View Post

Have you tried the O2 without the ODAC (and vice versa) to see how much of the changes are attributable to the Amp and how much to the DAC?  I'd be very curious to hear about that!  For example, you can run the ODAC through the E18 and you can run the O2 direct from your phone or whatever.

Something like that would be really helpful for people with limited budgets looking for the best bang for the buck...

I hear you. OK, I'll try to do that tonight. I suspect it's a combination of both though. I mean, the whole ethos of the amp is that it be transparent and add as little colour to the sound as possible. If it's doing it's job then the extra detail I hear can only be down to the DAC, I think. I'll try later to see what I think.
post #6283 of 9484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorrofox View Post



I hear you. OK, I'll try to do that tonight. I suspect it's a combination of both though. I mean, the whole ethos of the amp is that it be transparent and add as little colour to the sound as possible. If it's doing it's job then the extra detail I hear can only be down to the DAC, I think. I'll try later to see what I think.

 



But I would think that FiiO is trying to do the same thing?
Be as transparent as possible?
post #6284 of 9484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorrofox View Post



I hear you. OK, I'll try to do that tonight. I suspect it's a combination of both though. I mean, the whole ethos of the amp is that it be transparent and add as little colour to the sound as possible. If it's doing it's job then the extra detail I hear can only be down to the DAC, I think. I'll try later to see what I think.

 



But I would think that FiiO is trying to do the same thing?
Be as transparent as possible?

Not necessarily. Fiio are above all trying to make a profit. They're also aiming at the portable market, largely. I imagine the cool kids would take one look at the O2 and walk on. It's pretty far from cool. That doesn't matter to me but to the majority of cash-rich younger people cool matters. It would be fantastic if the ODAC & O2 sound was possible in a truly portable and affordable package. Maybe it is, but I don't think so.
post #6285 of 9484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorrofox View Post


I hear you. OK, I'll try to do that tonight. I suspect it's a combination of both though. I mean, the whole ethos of the amp is that it be transparent and add as little colour to the sound as possible. If it's doing it's job then the extra detail I hear can only be down to the DAC, I think. I'll try later to see what I think.

 

I suspect you're right, that's it's mostly the DAC.  But I am not so sure, based on what I've heard about the Q701 needing amping so badly.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorrofox View Post



I hear you. OK, I'll try to do that tonight. I suspect it's a combination of both though. I mean, the whole ethos of the amp is that it be transparent and add as little colour to the sound as possible. If it's doing it's job then the extra detail I hear can only be down to the DAC, I think. I'll try later to see what I think.

 



But I would think that FiiO is trying to do the same thing?
Be as transparent as possible?

 

No, not really.  Some people like their sound flavored, some people don't.  Ask any tube fan.  There are markets for all kinds out there and O2 is going for the "transparent sound" market.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread