Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Q701 impressions thread - Page 411

post #6151 of 7437
If there is anyone looking for their first or a second pair, I'm gonna sell mine! It's up in sale/trade section.
post #6152 of 7437
I'm beginning to feel some discomfort with these. Is there any known method of softening the pads on the Q's? Or is there a more comfortable option? I know they're removable and I've heard something about anniversary pads being used but are they any more comfortable? If so, where can I find them? I've never been a fan of velour either.
post #6153 of 7437

Not for these in particular but people have taken out Hifiman pads, washed/soaked them with light soap and dried to make them softer. Try it at your own risk..

post #6154 of 7437
^^ Quoting error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorrofox View Post

I'm beginning to feel some discomfort with these. Is there any known method of softening the pads on the Q's? Or is there a more comfortable option? I know they're removable and I've heard something about anniversary pads being used but are they any more comfortable? If so, where can I find them? I've never been a fan of velour either.
post #6155 of 7437
The pads I find comfortable, the bumps on the headband not so much?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
post #6156 of 7437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Androb View Post

If there is anyone looking for their first or a second pair, I'm gonna sell mine! It's up in sale/trade section.

Somebody needs to buy my DT880s!

post #6157 of 7437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
 

Somebody needs to buy my DT880s!

:D

post #6158 of 7437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post

Somebody needs to buy my DT880s!

Those are actually next on my list but not for a while yet. Why are you selling them?
post #6159 of 7437
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenyeats View Post

The pads I find comfortable, the bumps on the headband not so much?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

You know, before I bought these I'd read people complaining about the headband bumps and thought they must just be the sensitive type, lol. I was wrong. It's something I've never experienced with any other headphones but I get a mild burning sensation after an hour or so. Still, if I move them an inch it's fine again.
post #6160 of 7437
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirgleMirt View Post
 


Haha sorry about that.  :p   Yeah so actually, seems like the modded version's FR looks better than the stock.  Very interesting, all the comments with 'more bass' I saw the mid-bass hump (of the stock) and I guess just assumed that there it was; the added bass of the modded...  (which turned out to be the stock's mid bass 'hump'!)  But yeah, definitely better bass extension, and even flatter bass in general as I was saying. I was thinking when in reverse-mode that given that, I wouldn't mod mine.  Now if I want to be consistent, I'll definitely have to mod mine soon!  :D

 

Yeah, baby!

 

I've modded mine!

 

So far, so good!

post #6161 of 7437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post

Yeah, baby!

I've modded mine!

So far, so good!

Bass mod I assume, not lovely comfy softee spongey head mod?
post #6162 of 7437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorrofox View Post


You know, before I bought these I'd read people complaining about the headband bumps and thought they must just be the sensitive type, lol. I was wrong. It's something I've never experienced with any other headphones but I get a mild burning sensation after an hour or so. Still, if I move them an inch it's fine again.

 

Yep, agree.  Also, I've found that over time, this sensation hasn't happened nearly as much.  MY baby's car seat has these velcro pads that cover the straps near his neck so they don't bite into his skin... I hear you can use those over the Q701 strap to help the issue with the bumps.  I think you can get them for pretty cheap at any baby supply store (Babies R Us, etc).

post #6163 of 7437
These are indeed picky with amps. Even though my X3 has plenty of power to drive it, the results lacks bass even with the mod, forcing me to EQ up the bass. It sounds perfectly balanced without EQ on my DACport LX. Plus it seems less fatiguing with treble heavy music while paired the less warm LX, though this may be due to burn in.
post #6164 of 7437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorrofox View Post


Those are actually next on my list but not for a while yet. Why are you selling them?

 

I prefer the Q701 and my Stax SRS-2170 and I don't need several pairs of headphones.

OTOH, I may be picking up a pair of HD800, so maybe I do need several pairs of headphones.

 

The DT880s are actually a more neutral headphone, but the Q701 are a bit more fun, especially after this bass mod.

The DT880s are actually a bit better for hard rock.

post #6165 of 7437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorrofox View Post


Bass mod I assume, not lovely comfy softee spongey head mod?

 

Oooops, yes, bass mod.

I don't have any comfort issues with my Q701. Maybe I have a soft, spongey head?

The bass mod does add a bit more bass kick.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread