or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Q701 impressions thread - Page 365

post #5461 of 9490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nec3 View Post
 


Does this mean I'm STILL running the Q701's underamped with the O2? I mean, I already love the sound of the upgrade from an E12 to an ODAC/O2... but I'm just curious.

O2 has plenty for Q701, one of the reasons for the design actually. (well the K701 was,if anyone can tell the difference :k701smile:).


Edited by jimmers - 2/2/14 at 11:16pm
post #5462 of 9490
Has anyone been able to do a comparison with the Chinese and Austrian-made Q701 models?
Edited by Mama Krama - 2/2/14 at 11:44pm
post #5463 of 9490

I'm very interested in these cans and am seriously considering these but am stuck between these, HD 598's and DT770 80 Ohm's. The thing that is holding me back is the AMP/DAC recommendation/requirements. For the first time around I want to get an E17 for mobile use, but is that enough to power these cans or would I need something with a bit more kick? Would also be using with my computer which has an ASUS SupremeFX X-Fi discrete Audio Card 

post #5464 of 9490
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0wah View Post

Interesting... I do like a warm sounding headphone so the E9 seems the right choice for me. Thanks for the input!
please post your impressions on how you like the E09k+q701.
post #5465 of 9490

Just modded my Q701s. Well, I like the new balance and I won't be putting the tape back. Consider that another vote in favour.

 

I don't know if it's technically better or worse, but I like it a lot.


Edited by darrenyeats - 2/3/14 at 9:12am
post #5466 of 9490
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmers View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nec3 View Post


Does this mean I'm STILL running the Q701's underamped with the O2? I mean, I already love the sound of the upgrade from an E12 to an ODAC/O2... but I'm just curious.

O2 has plenty for Q701, one of the reasons for the design actually. (well the K701 was,if anyone can tell the difference k701smile.gif ).

What he said. O2 is amazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbman View Post

I'm very interested in these cans and am seriously considering these but am stuck between these, HD 598's and DT770 80 Ohm's. The thing that is holding me back is the AMP/DAC recommendation/requirements. For the first time around I want to get an E17 for mobile use, but is that enough to power these cans or would I need something with a bit more kick? Would also be using with my computer which has an ASUS SupremeFX X-Fi discrete Audio Card 

It'll be fine, not perfect but more than decent. You can consider the E18 as well.
Edited by Ashade - 2/3/14 at 7:00am
post #5467 of 9490

My family's old TV messed up and we now have an extra receiver; will this serve as a good amp for the Q701's?

 

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/VSX-D608


Edited by Fuzziekiwi - 2/3/14 at 10:53am
post #5468 of 9490
The problem with receivers as headphone amps is that their impedance isn't suited for inefficient headphones. I would highly recommend a headphone amp such as the O2.
post #5469 of 9490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Krama View Post

The problem with receivers as headphone amps is that their impedance isn't suited for inefficient headphones. I would highly recommend a headphone amp such as the O2.

The problem with following rules-of-thumb is that they don't always apply (and IMO NwAvGuy is a questionable source), AND the AKG flagships are an exception to the rule because they have a rather flat impedance curve. Unlike many Sennheisers, the Q701 doesn't have frequency spikes when there isn't much dampening, so the sound quality is more dependent on the rest of the audio components.


FuzzyKiwi,
That pioneer looks decent, I say try it (won't hurt). You may have to turn up the volume a bit more, but the solid-state amps in receivers like that produce more than enough current to create smooth, strain-less/effortless sound. I used my Q701 with my $200 Yamaha receiver, I bet you'll like it with yours too.
post #5470 of 9490
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmers View Post
 


Needs BOTH, approx 1.6x Voltage, 8x current, (therefore approx 13x power) as in post.

 

Don't know why people assume 701 are easy to drive just because they are not high impedance.

 

Edit: @Ahade Sorry, I missed your post.

 

They are far from being an inefficient headphone.

 

They only need 1 Volt to generate approx. 105 SPL.

They don't pull tons and tons of current like an LCD.

This works out to 16 mWatts @ 105 dB SPL.

16 mA @ 105 dB SPL.

 

In real terms, 105 dB SPL is LOUD!

Average listening level usually works out to 90 dB. 

If your amp can provide 1 Volt RMS to a pair of Q701s without clipping, then it can be argued that there is a good amount of headroom available.


Edited by Chris J - 2/3/14 at 5:24pm
post #5471 of 9490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post


The problem with following rules-of-thumb is that they don't always apply (and IMO NwAvGuy is a questionable source), AND the AKG flagships are an exception to the rule because they have a rather flat impedance curve. Unlike many Sennheisers, the Q701 doesn't have frequency spikes when there isn't much dampening, so the sound quality is more dependent on the rest of the audio components.


FuzzyKiwi,
That pioneer looks decent, I say try it (won't hurt). You may have to turn up the volume a bit more, but the solid-state amps in receivers like that produce more than enough current to create smooth, strain-less/effortless sound. I used my Q701 with my $200 Yamaha receiver, I bet you'll like it with yours too.

 

I think NWAVGuy's biggest problem is that he is a strictly by the numbers kind of guy.

If you can't measure it, then it doesn't exist.

Period.

 

Which does not explain why we often hear slight differences between two amps that both measure very well.

post #5472 of 9490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
 

 

They are far from being an inefficient headphone.

...

They don't pull tons and tons of current like an LCD.

...

 

Suggest you look at:

 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AllGraphs.pdf

 

before you compare sensitivities (maybe you meant HiFiMAN HE-6, not LCD?)

 

 And at question was "Easy to drive", e.g. something you can plug into phone, or weak mp3 player etc.

 

(it's like deja vu, all over again)

 

"sometimes I think I'm an Electrical Engineer........probably because I am!"


Edited by jimmers - 2/3/14 at 6:53pm
post #5473 of 9490

Hi, I'm thinking of getting a pair of Q701's and I'm wondering if my Sony STR-DH710 receiver would be able to power them well enough.

Thanks!

post #5474 of 9490
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmers View Post

Suggest you look at:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AllGraphs.pdf

before you compare sensitivities (maybe you meant HiFiMAN HE-6, not LCD?)

 And at question was "Easy to drive", e.g. something you can plug into phone, or weak mp3 player etc.

(it's like deja vu, all over again)

"sometimes I think I'm an Electrical Engineer........probably because I am!"



BTW,
I think I must been thinking of the HE-6.
They are both Planars, I get them mixed up.
Edited by Chris J - 2/4/14 at 4:59pm
post #5475 of 9490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasydude View Post

Hi, I'm thinking of getting a pair of Q701's and I'm wondering if my Sony STR-DH710 receiver would be able to power them well enough.
Thanks!

Deleted...useless post on my part....
Edited by Chris J - 2/4/14 at 4:51pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread