Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Q701 impressions thread - Page 354

post #5296 of 8308
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62ohm View Post
 

Ashade,

 

 

How does the HD700 compares to the Q701? Have you posted it? I think I missed it. In terms of similarity, would you say the HD700 is closer to the HD600/650, or HD800? And how does the soundstage compares to the Q701? Thanks

 

I didn't post my impressions yet but I am going to give some insights, as I am still exploring this new headphone. My impressions are mainly based on the O2+ODAC combo that I finished building this week.

 

Short story: Is the HD700 an upgrade to the MODDED Q701? Yes! Is it worth the money? Mmmmm... Definitely not $1000 nor $850, but in the $650 bracket... It's gonna depend...

 

My experience: Disclaimer, this is just my personal opinion and may differ from others opinions.

 

I will start saying that the modded Q701 and the HD700 are more similar than different, and I'm not even kidding. That said, first time I put on the HD700 I said... BRRRRRR, me don't like this!! But I decided to keep them a little bit more and keep comparing them, and they've been growing a lot on me for several reasons. Going point by point:

- The HD700 is definitely darker/warmer than the MODDED Q701. The bass is more emphasized in the former in all the range of frequencies, but specially on the subbass. I didn't like this at first, but when I put the Q's back I miss some of that subbass in some recordings, even though I don't consider myself a basshead. The bass can be overwhelming at the beginning coming from the Q's.

- Vocals: The Q's have a really funny effect on female vocals due to that peak in the treble around the 2kHz. Although I have to admit I enjoy that  peak and sometimes even miss it, the truth is that sometimes it can be painful at medium-high listening volumes. In other words, you cannot reach the same volumes with the Q's because female vocals are so prominent that somehow take the main role in the songs masking other instruments. The HD700 feels weird in comparison at the beginning but in the end is more natural and the voices sound more integrated in the music.

- Soundstage: Due to these two previous points the soundstage is slightly bigger in the HD700 and positioning is better. On the other hand, the soundstage presentation is different as well and somebody might not like it.

- Instrument separation: The clear winner here is the HD700, although some instruments may lay a little bit in the back due to that valley around the 2kHz.

- Detail retrieval: I found the HD700 to scale better with the source than the Q's. The detail is very slightly better. I would need to check other sources but it seems I am not making this up.

- Compared to other headphones: The HD700 is just in between the HD650 and the HD800. HD600 is more similar to the Q's. Just for the ones wondering, the HD800 is above, way above the HD700 (specially soundstage and detail retrieval).

 

As a conclusion: The HD700 is a better all rounder than the Q's. There are songs (not all) that just sound better in the HD700. It is very very difficult to justify the $450 (or $650 or $800) of difference. The Q701 is a great headphone at the great price ($200 or less used). For those thinking between the HD700 and the HD800, I would consider the HD700 between $450 and $650, and at a higher price, I would consider saving for the HD800 if you could get it between the $900 and $1250. I wouldn't pay retail price for none of them.

 

Final note: Even more and more curious about the HE-500 right now. The more and more I read I consider the Hifiman more as the real contender.

 

Let me know if I left anything in the inkwell.

 


Edited by Ashade - 1/17/14 at 10:47am
post #5297 of 8308

Comfort wise, would you say the HD700 is more comfortable than Q701? Or is it the other way around?

post #5298 of 8308
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62ohm View Post
 

Comfort wise, would you say the HD700 is more comfortable than Q701? Or is it the other way around?

 

While all the rest can be very subjective (you know, everybody listen somewhat different), the HD700 is much more comfortable than the Q's (and probably more comfortable than the HD800 because it is more reasonably sized, although I didn't use them that much). These are the reasons:

- The HD700 headband doesn't move around, it's fixed by increments, which leaves the headphones very well positioned in your head. It doesn't have bumps, but we know this is not a problem anymore. ;)

- The HD700 is completely opened as opposed to the semiclose Q701. This makes that your ears don't get that hot, although they do leak more sound and isolate less (this is subtle but noticeable).

- The pads are more proportionate in the HD700 and the material is nicer. As you don't have that much area in contact with your face, there are less points prone to sweat. It's not that I don't like velour either, but the pads in the HD700 are premium and better shaped.

- The clamping force is similar, but the bigger size of the pads in the Q701 makes that your jaws get tired in long listening sessions.

 

The HD700 is the most similar thing I have experienced to not wearing nothing in your head, another reason why I tend to use them more.

 

The only annoyance I found with the HD700 is the cable. They only provide a very long, stiff and with proprietary connector cable that ends in a 1/4 connector. There are alternatives to replace it but... Apparently is worth $200, they would have been better putting a cheaper cable and lowering the price.


Edited by Ashade - 1/17/14 at 11:08am
post #5299 of 8308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashade View Post

 

Final note: Even more and more curious about the HE-500 right now. The more and more I read I consider the Hifiman more as the real contender.

 

 

I think you should wait to hear comparisons between the HE-500s and HE-560s, once the latter are out.  I base this solely on my perception of your preferred sound signature, so take it FWIW.  The HE-560s or the OPPO PM-1s.  Those two should be close in price, with the OPPO a bit more.  Some reviewer who heard the OPPOs at CES said it was his fav of those he heard (I think he heard the HE_560s).  Anyway, food for thought.

post #5300 of 8308
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post
 

 

I think you should wait to hear comparisons between the HE-500s and HE-560s, once the latter are out.  I base this solely on my perception of your preferred sound signature, so take it FWIW.  The HE-560s or the OPPO PM-1s.  Those two should be close in price, with the OPPO a bit more.  Some reviewer who heard the OPPOs at CES said it was his fav of those he heard (I think he heard the HE_560s).  Anyway, food for thought.

 

:rolleyes:

:beerchug:

post #5301 of 8308

Ashade,

 

 

Thanks for the impressions. I'm actually looking to get myself a warm pair of cans (age old plan lol) and the HD700 seems like a must-try for me.

post #5302 of 8308
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62ohm View Post
 

Ashade,

 

 

Thanks for the impressions. I'm actually looking to get myself a warm pair of cans (age old plan lol) and the HD700 seems like a must-try for me.

 

Nice! Try them, for sure. But try the HE-500 as well if you can. :beerchug:

post #5303 of 8308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashade View Post


No problem man, everybody has been new to something at some point. To build one of those you would need some soldering skills, a soldering station and some parts. I think there's not a guide for that but it's not something super difficult if you know some tricks. I could help you through PM if you are into that but there are other solutions if all you want is a micro attached to the cable. You already pointed one out. The other one is to buy an adaptor 3.5mm female stereo to male from which the micro comes out. It's not as neat but it works.

I guess I'm not sure what you mean about the the "3.5mm female to male from what the micro comes out". I wish I could find the one I posted for sale by the piece and not in bulk. I also don't really know what it's called. Thanks again for your help. I might consider making my own if I can buy the parts right in my area.

post #5304 of 8308
Quote:
Originally Posted by hajabooja View Post
 

I guess I'm not sure what you mean about the the "3.5mm female to male from what the micro comes out". I wish I could find the one I posted for sale by the piece and not in bulk. I also don't really know what it's called. Thanks again for your help. I might consider making my own if I can buy the parts right in my area.

 

It's similar to the one below but instead of having the connector in the microphone side it has the male-female adaptor at the bottom, in a way in which you don't end with a ridiculously long cable, but instead you have tow cables and you can put the microphone wherever you prefer. I'll send you a PM during the evening and we can keep on with the discussion.

 

post #5305 of 8308

Does anyone know if this is a mini-XLR cable?

 

http://www.amazon.com/HOSA-GXP-143-Female-Balanced-Adapter/dp/B000068O4H/ref=pd_bxgy_MI_img_z

post #5306 of 8308
Quote:
Originally Posted by hajabooja View Post
 

Does anyone know if this is a mini-XLR cable?

 

http://www.amazon.com/HOSA-GXP-143-Female-Balanced-Adapter/dp/B000068O4H/ref=pd_bxgy_MI_img_z

 

For the size of the adaptor, I would say it's not...

post #5307 of 8308
Quote:
Originally Posted by hajabooja View Post
 

Does anyone know if this is a mini-XLR cable?

 

http://www.amazon.com/HOSA-GXP-143-Female-Balanced-Adapter/dp/B000068O4H/ref=pd_bxgy_MI_img_z

That is a regular XLR F to 1/4 M cable.

post #5308 of 8308

Not sure why I bought these for wearing outdoors. The cable is stupidly long for a 62 OHM headphone, and they can't be worn comfortably around the neck. They do sound good even without an amp on my Note 3, though.

 

Does anyone have any ideas for a shorter replacement cable that won't break the bank? I've found only one link: http://best-tronics.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BMI&Product_Code=MIC32-XX&Attributes=Yes&Quantity=1

post #5309 of 8308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith View Post

Not sure why I bought these for wearing outdoors. The cable is stupidly long for a 62 OHM headphone, and they can't be worn comfortably around the neck. They do sound good even without an amp on my Note 3, though.

Does anyone have any ideas for a shorter replacement cable that won't break the bank? I've found only one link: http://best-tronics.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BMI&Product_Code=MIC32-XX&Attributes=Yes&Quantity=1

Why don't you braid it? That cable is gonna put a lot of stress in your headphone jack.
Edited by Ashade - 1/18/14 at 9:44am
post #5310 of 8308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith View Post
 

Not sure why I bought these for wearing outdoors. The cable is stupidly long for a 62 OHM headphone, and they can't be worn comfortably around the neck. They do sound good even without an amp on my Note 3, though.

 

Does anyone have any ideas for a shorter replacement cable that won't break the bank? I've found only one link: http://best-tronics.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BMI&Product_Code=MIC32-XX&Attributes=Yes&Quantity=1

You can cut it then reinstal  a new 1/4 or 1/8 plug i did this for my DT8##.


Edited by i luvmusic 2 - 1/18/14 at 9:47am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread