Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Q701 impressions thread - Page 350

post #5236 of 7584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nec3 View Post
 

Since we're on the path of tabling about the headbands.

The headband is freaking me out. Bumps are being left on my head and it feels like my scalp might be stuck like this forever.

Exactly why I cut the bumps off after 3 days of ownership.  

post #5237 of 7584
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post
 

Exactly why I cut the bumps off after 3 days of ownership.  

I did it exactly after 3 days of getting it too :D

 

was a little apprehensive about it, but the moment I put it on my head, I knew it was the right decision.

post #5238 of 7584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nec3 View Post
 

Since we're on the path of tabling about the headbands.

The headband is freaking me out. Bumps are being left on my head and it feels like my scalp might be stuck like this forever.

 

Do it!

post #5239 of 7584

I am one of those who thinks that a thread without pictures is not a thread, and as I am just enjoying my last DIY project (not finished yet by the way), I thought I would share with you some pictures of the HD700, the Q701 (bass port and headband mod, take note Nec3 :wink_face: and remove those bumps!), and the Fiio E18 paired with the O2. I chose some more adventurous colors this time.

 

I don´t feel confident to share comments about the HD700 - modded Q701 comparison but I'll just advance that they are closer than I thought. The HD700 is slightly darker to my surprise, and sonic comments apart is definitely much much more comfortable. My ears get less warm with them. On the other hand they isolate much less. Even though they are open back, the Q701 covers more background noise. A funny point, while the Q701 is not very much affected by covering the back with the hand, the HD700 is. More comments next week. Hope you like the pictures. :)

 

 

 

post #5240 of 7584

Your are fools. It's an honor to have the AKG bumps on my dome.

post #5241 of 7584
Quote:
Originally Posted by DADDYDC650 View Post
 

Your are fools. It's an honor to have the AKG bumps on my dome.

Marks of power...Like Shaolin monks ?

post #5242 of 7584
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post
 

Marks of power...Like Shaolin monks ?

 

Jajaja!! Me gusta!

post #5243 of 7584

Anyone interested in Q701 they are on sale at NCIX.ca

post #5244 of 7584
Quote:
Originally Posted by i luvmusic 2 View Post
 

Anyone interested in Q701 they are on sale at NCIX.ca

http://products.ncix.com/detail/akg-by-harman-q-701-quincy-jones-signature-line-reference-class-premium-headphones-black-ce-86792-1437.htm

$250 CAD is far from a good price.  That's equal to $230 USD.   The standard price on Amazon is $200 USD.

 

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-Signature-Reference-Class-Premium-Headphones/dp/B004444O3W

 

You can also get a good deal by buying them used on Amazon.  I bought mine used from amazon with a "like new" grade for $175 USD.  They came in flawless condition and included the box.

post #5245 of 7584

Hollllyyyy SCHIIIIIIIIITT, wait no, holy JDS Labs?

The Objective2 and DAC came in the mail from TunnelVision42. In all honesty, I was expecting more clarity.

I got EVERYTHING. Deeper bass, faster sound, a full-bodied soundstage, a soundstage that took up the entire headphone, more depth. 

I know for some, an upgrade from the E12 to an ODAC/O2 is very small. But for me this upgrade was quite substantial. I have selective hearing, I don't think I have golden ears though, so don't try to call my name from a mile away.

Now that these are properly amped, I don't think these are bass anemic at all. They have almost as much punch as my a900x, but it's a more solid punch indeed!
Amping from the E12 made my Q701's sound cold, compared to actual warmth that I know what people are talking about when used with the ODAC.

Techno is enjoyable, there's instruments in a THIRD LAYER of soundstage, who knew?

When a female singer is screaming her D6 note, I was so surprised I actually felt she moved away from the mic. In which her voiced moved back into my Q701's. 

Compressed music has a place in the Q701's, and it's plopped right in the center of the soundstage. This made it a huge deal in being able to tell more easily what's compressed or not.

I kind of hated the O2 though, it revealed a lot of sibilance; destroying half of my anime/japanese playlist D:

post #5246 of 7584
Quote:
Originally Posted by btarb24 View Post
 

http://products.ncix.com/detail/akg-by-harman-q-701-quincy-jones-signature-line-reference-class-premium-headphones-black-ce-86792-1437.htm

$250 CAD is far from a good price.  That's equal to $230 USD.   The standard price on Amazon is $200 USD.

230$US (250$cdn) is what they've sold for the last year or so on amazon.com, so not a horrendous price...   And don't forget, add 20$ of shipping for US to CA, 10$ of brokerage,  250$cdn isn't all that bad, actually probably comes down to the exact same thing, actually maybe a bit more from ncix because if I recall it's like 10$ of shipping, but still, maybe 10$ difference in the end.

post #5247 of 7584

So has anyone heard the Aune T1 with a Q701 yet?  I've tried to find a better value than the Q701 and short of going to the far more expensive HD800, I cannot even get close to how much I like these cans.

 

No, rather, I have been considering sidegrading to a warmer sounding amp that could possibly make them more dynamic and impactful to match their slightly pronounced upper mid / lower treble with source material that is less than perfect.  Currently running Nuforce Icon HD and it is known to be bright in the amp section (wonderful DAC, though).

 

If not Aune, then what else could be warmer with enough power to make this happen short of a vintage receiver?  I guess I could try ODAC.  Sadly, I wasn't a fan of the bass mod as I only perceived an uncomfortable low frequency boost and additional SPL without much heft added to the mid-bass area where the toe-tapping first half of a kick drum's waveform resides.


Edited by discombob - 1/10/14 at 12:50am
post #5248 of 7584
Quote:
Originally Posted by discombob View Post
 

So has anyone heard the Aune T1 with a Q701 yet?  I've tried to find a better value than the Q701 and short of going to the far more expensive HD800, I cannot even get close to how much I like these cans.

 

No, rather, I have been considering sidegrading to a warmer sounding amp that could possibly make them more dynamic and impactful to match their slightly pronounced upper mid / lower treble with source material that is less than perfect.  Currently running Nuforce Icon HD and it is known to be bright in the amp section (wonderful DAC, though).

 

If not Aune, then what else could be warmer with enough power to make this happen short of a vintage receiver?  I guess I could try ODAC.  Sadly, I wasn't a fan of the bass mod as I only perceived an uncomfortable low frequency boost and additional SPL without much heft added to the mid-bass area where the toe-tapping first half of a kick drum's waveform resides.


+1 to this. I also wanna know..

post #5249 of 7584
Quote:
Originally Posted by discombob View Post
 

So has anyone heard the Aune T1 with a Q701 yet?  I've tried to find a better value than the Q701 and short of going to the far more expensive HD800, I cannot even get close to how much I like these cans.

 

No, rather, I have been considering sidegrading to a warmer sounding amp that could possibly make them more dynamic and impactful to match their slightly pronounced upper mid / lower treble with source material that is less than perfect.  Currently running Nuforce Icon HD and it is known to be bright in the amp section (wonderful DAC, though).

 

If not Aune, then what else could be warmer with enough power to make this happen short of a vintage receiver?  I guess I could try ODAC.  Sadly, I wasn't a fan of the bass mod as I only perceived an uncomfortable low frequency boost and additional SPL without much heft added to the mid-bass area where the toe-tapping first half of a kick drum's waveform resides.

Have you tried a tube amp for warmth? Something like a Little Dot MKIII?

post #5250 of 7584

Just started researching other threads... this one was pretty informative:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/432185/tube-amp-for-k701

 

They talk about how lower end tube amps tend to lack the expensive transformers required to keep an impedance mismatch from connecting directly to the tube (which tend to have high impendance naturally) from robbing all the power delivered to a lower impedance headphone like Q701, and that this "OTL" design is really only an inexpensive way to get smooth tube sound for higher impedance phones.  Some people were recommending a Woo 6 to retain the power with 701s, as it has the transformer required to be compatible with a wider range of headphones of various impedance.

 

On the Aune spec page, it says: Suitable headphone Impedance : 30ohm~600ohm

http://en.auneaudio.com/html/en_products/NewDesign/T-Series/154_20.html

 

Really?  Has anyone heard it and is it indeed warmer?  I cannot determine if this design incorporates the kind of transformer that could make this particularly price competitive amp able to properly drive the 701s.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread