Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Q701 impressions thread - Page 334

post #4996 of 9514

I'm looking for gaming, primarily. I  want to use something that will get me the best positional cues and immersion. Music and movies are secondary.

post #4997 of 9514
All of those combos are nice options for gaming. Maybe the E07K/E09K being very slightly less suitable but with a very subtle margin IMO.
post #4998 of 9514
Quote:
Originally Posted by theOmni View Post
 

Sorry if this question has been asked a thousand times, but what is the best DAC/AMP or sound card for these headphones specifically for gaming? I'm looking to spend under $225.

My friend built his computer around the Q701 and the Asus MAXIMUS VI IMPACT. Which is way out of your price range, but from what I've listened to on his computer (no gaming sadly, not yet) it preforms pretty well.

post #4999 of 9514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashade View Post

All of those combos are nice options for gaming. Maybe the E07K/E09K being very slightly less suitable but with a very subtle margin IMO.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOmni View Post
 

I'm looking for gaming, primarily. I  want to use something that will get me the best positional cues and immersion. Music and movies are secondary.



I'm going to sum up these two quotes together in one reply, since I am very experienced in the gaming field with the E07K, and how amping will benefit your experience. I have yet to order an ODAC+O2 from a local headfier when I get my paycheque, but anywho, I don't want to get into details about that.

The E07K and the Q701 is a great combination, especially if you can get the E07k for less than $80 and the Q701's used by a local headfier or under $250. Forget Astro/Razer headsets, forget all those marketted headsets. They will NEVER, EVER, compare to the Q701's immersive soundstage from what I've personally compared them to. (Astro A40's, Siberia V2, Turtlebeach X12).

I first thought my A900X had a big soundstage for gaming, it had a 2D immersive soundstage, meaning I could tell where sounds came from and in which direction that merged in with a nice bassy the theater effect. In fact, the a900x had as much soundstage as my friends' gaming headset (Storm Sirius 5.1) that had 5 speakers built in for surround sound experience.

Now here came the Q701, which totally dominated.

The A900X unfortunately did not match the 3D immersive soundstage the Q701's had. Battlefield 3 was the best benchmark for graphics and audio alike. And guess what, I was able to tell that bullet SOUNDED like it came from 3 meters in front of my face, bullets whizzing by; I could tell how far it was from my ear and I could pop someone in the face instantly just by audio cues. When flying jets, I no longer need an air radar, I just needed to follow the audio cues that would eventually loop me back into the tail of the enemy jet, and I'd be firing away. Gunshots sound very sharp, and using "Wartapes" sound option on Battlefield 3, I was in for the greatest experience I've had. Nevermind bass, I didn't need punchy bass from my a900x when I had environmental awareness.

I found that the Q701's unrealistically wide soundstage is that it compliments the highly compressed audio you get from video games nowadays. (Except games by Valve in which their soundstage is oh so heavenly through Q701's with the "Headphone" option enabled).

Now when I upgraded to the E11, it was a bit troublesome. I currently have to charge it overnight since the buzzing from charging it is a bit annoying. However though, what the amping does do for gaming, is that it makes everything sound faster and the second layer of the soundstage is cleared up. It's not a difference between day and night, it was a more "felt" upgrade rather than an upfront upgrade.

If it's something I learned, it's that it's better you save up your money. Just hold on a bit longer if you need money for better parts, it's worth it in the end. 
 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
My Primary Gaming Rig:
Motherboard: Crosshair IV(?) Formula-Z
CPU:  AMD FX-8350 4.4ghz
GPU: Asus GTX 660ti OC SLI
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4x4gb 1333mhz
PSU: Corsair AX760w (Unfortunately I need at least 850watts if I ever plan to overclock my CPU any higher than 4.4ghz)
And fancy cooling that kept all these parts from overheating, since I'm pretty sure some of my parts would have fried if it wasn't.
Audio parts: E07K + E11 Mont Blanc w/ AKG Q701's 

Steam ID: Necrok3
Battlelog for PC (Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 4): Necrok3 

Edited by Nec3 - 12/18/13 at 8:03pm
post #5000 of 9514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashade View Post

All of those combos are nice options for gaming. Maybe the E07K/E09K being very slightly less suitable but with a very subtle margin IMO.

 

I've said this before, Fiio E17/E09K combo drive my Q701 very nicely and does give it a touch of needed warmth.  This evaluation still holds even after I acquired the Woo WA22.

post #5001 of 9514
The Q's are awesome for gaming, but honestly, the E07K doesn't deliver the full potential. You need something more powerful. That's why you need to combine it with the E09K or other amp, or choose another combo.

You have budget so go for it. E17 is definitely a better option for the Q's although I would go with E18, specially with the new version that will charge over PC USB. If portability is not an issue, O2/ODAC or other desktop set up, specially if you are thinking in eventually upgrade to some better headphones.

By the way, A900X is not even close to the Q's in my humble opinion. The bass is pretty loose when compared to a pair of modded Q's properly driven. The modded Q's sound similar to the A900X under the E07K (loose bass and a little bit of lack of detail) but with a little less amount of sub bass.
Edited by Ashade - 12/18/13 at 8:50pm
post #5002 of 9514
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post
 

 

I've said this before, Fiio E17/E09K combo drive my Q701 very nicely and does give it a touch of needed warmth.  This evaluation still holds even after I acquired the Woo WA22.

 

Yes, but did you put those Q701 pads on your HE-500s?!!?  :p

post #5003 of 9514
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post
 

 

Yes, but did you put those Q701 pads on your HE-500s?!!?  :p

I tried a little but got kind of mixed feeling.  Maybe, cuz I didn't spend the time to do it 100% properly like you did. However, it did change the imaging on the HE500 quite a bit.  It was very surprising to find out how much angled pads make a difference.


Edited by koiloco - 12/18/13 at 8:53pm
post #5004 of 9514
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post

Yes, but did you put those Q701 pads on your HE-500s?!!?  tongue.gif

LOL, I don't think Koiloco did but as soon as I get some money to get the HE500: I will!
post #5005 of 9514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashade View Post

The Q's are awesome for gaming, but honestly, the E07K doesn't deliver the full potential. You need something more powerful. That's why you need to combine it with the E09K or other amp, or choose another combo.

You have budget so go for it. E17 is definitely a better option for the Q's although I would go with E18, specially with the new version that will charge over night. If portability is not an issue, O2/ODAC or other desktop set up, specially if you are thinking in eventually upgrade to some better headphones.

By the way, A900X it's not even close to the Q's in my humble opinion. The bass is pretty loose when compared to a pair of modded Q's properly driven. The modded Q's sound similar to the A900X under the E07K (loose bass and a little bit of lack of detail) but with a little less amount of sub bass.

Haha yeah, I like the quantity the a900x gives off in bass (a headphone that fulfills my techno genre). Although I do agree the Q701 does have a clean solid bass, once I get ODAC/O2 I'll see to peeling off the stickers from the Q's in the driver earcups. That's why I'm trying to mod the Fostex T50rp's to have a flat bass range. I really did fall in love with solid bass that orthodynamics have to offer.

post #5006 of 9514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nec3 View Post

Haha yeah, I like the quantity the a900x gives off in bass (a headphone that fulfills my techno genre). Although I do agree the Q701 does have a clean solid bass, once I get ODAC/O2 I'll see to peeling off the stickers from the Q's in the driver earcups. That's why I'm trying to mod the Fostex T50rp's to have a flat bass range. I really did fall in love with solid bass that orthodynamics have to offer.

Do it! The bass come out in a tight way you wouldn't imagine would be possible in the Q's. I think I've only heard that tight bass in the M-100 (which lacks mids everywhere...).

I was considering Foxtex or MadDogs till I realized they were semi-open. I need something close that sounds amazing. A900X is almost there. So much bass in my opinion. I think I'm going to try NAD VISO HP50.
post #5007 of 9514
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post
 

I tried a little but got kind of mixed feeling.  Maybe, cuz I didn't spend the time to do it 100% properly like you did. However, it did change the imaging on the HE500 quite a bit.  It was very surprising to find out how much angled pads make a difference.

 

Yeah, I was just giving you a li'l Schiit, since I didn't hear back from you ;)

 

I'm certainly not saying it's for everyone (hope I've qualified most of my comments that way; see other thread), but if you're into modding, esp. jerg's magick recipe(s), and given he recently did an angled pad mod about which, probably rightly, he is reluctant to publish in-depth (I can't imagine the numbers of photos and accompanying verbiage required to portray it accurately for sewing noobs like me ;-), I figured I'd share my neophyte venture into modding.

 

Where was I?  Right.  So ya gotta have things against which to compare the Q701 pads on the HE-500s.  jergulor 2.5 pads are a fine example, as are either of the stock pads.  And there are variables to consider, comfort being a big one, but also soundstage, and finally stock Q701 pads vs. all those holes I made in the jergulor pads.  Are the Q701 pads overly bright by comparison?  Dunno, as I haven't done a proper comparison yet, mostly cuz my #@$%*!& Lyr is still out for repairs (should have it back pre-Xmas).

 

All that said, I'm still enjoying the Q701 pads on that other HP.  After Xmas I hope to do some proper comparisons, though I'd be surprised if I ditch my particular mod.  I'll keep an open mind, and at least I have two to which I can turn.

 

Glad you tried them, at least.  For me, it was a no-brainer to drop $35 on new Q pads for the HE-500s.  But I have the luxury of getting that price in the US.  Not sure where you are, swimming with the koi  :D 


Edited by ThurstonX - 12/18/13 at 9:25pm
post #5008 of 9514

Could anyone do a video for the bass mod? Kinda bad with stuff like this.

post #5009 of 9514

Joined the Q701 family with my recent purchase on Amazon (some time after the thanksgiving).

 

Mine were still Austria Made.

 

AppleMark

post #5010 of 9514
Quote:
Originally Posted by duyu View Post
 

Joined the Q701 family with my recent purchase on Amazon (some time after the thanksgiving).

 

Mine were still Austria Made.

 

AppleMark

Nice picture! I don't know why but the picture just looks beautiful. Even better if it wasn't shot on a potato.

 And welcome. \o/ (Not that I'm actually part of the Q701 family)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread