or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Q701 impressions thread - Page 286

post #4276 of 9507

Also tried using a rubber pad, but still no luck opening it.

Mine is 702 by the way.

post #4277 of 9507
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainRazer View Post
 

Is it just me or getting the grills off is almost impossible?

I had difficulty too (Q701),tried sticky pads,screws and toothpicks - ended up using 2 Kilometrico ballpoint pens!

It was a bit of a worry as nobody had mentioned any great trouble removing them.

Since then 2 strong toothpicks work OK.

post #4278 of 9507
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmers View Post
 

I had difficulty too (Q701),tried sticky pads,screws and toothpicks - ended up using 2 Kilometrico ballpoint pens!

It was a bit of a worry as nobody had mentioned any great trouble removing them.

Since then 2 strong toothpicks work OK.


So are you implying that the first time you do it would be the hardest and then it loosen up afterwards?

I'm afraid of scratching the paint so I used a rubber pad but it won't even move budge.

post #4279 of 9507
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmers View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainRazer View Post
 

Is it just me or getting the grills off is almost impossible?

I had difficulty too (Q701),tried sticky pads,screws and toothpicks - ended up using 2 Kilometrico ballpoint pens!

It was a bit of a worry as nobody had mentioned any great trouble removing them.

Since then 2 strong toothpicks work OK.

 

The first time is really difficult for some reason. After that is pretty easy. If it's really budged I use 2 mechanical pencils. Maybe 2 papeclips might work?

post #4280 of 9507

been trying to open the grills for at least 6 hours and still, it won't budge.

tried using watch needles, rubber pad, mechanical pencils, and even ballpoints.

I think I'm missing something here, everyone else doesn't seems to have difficulty opening the grills.

I can't even open 1 of them, how am I suppose to open both sides?

post #4281 of 9507
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainRazer View Post
 

been trying to open the grills for at least 6 hours and still, it won't budge.

tried using watch needles, rubber pad, mechanical pencils, and even ballpoints.

I think I'm missing something here, everyone else doesn't seems to have difficulty opening the grills.

I can't even open 1 of them, how am I suppose to open both sides?

 

Next time you're at the post office snag some of those rectangular priority mail tags if they still exist. Those work extremely well.

Obviously you need to rotate counter clockwise and press down a little.

 

Maybe AKG now glues them in place so we don't mod them!

 

I think someone said using two toothpicks work well too.


Edited by tdockweiler - 10/18/13 at 4:45pm
post #4282 of 9507


even the paper clips starts to bend, I bought this November 2012 by the way.

post #4283 of 9507
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainRazer View Post
 


even the paper clips starts to bend, I bought this November 2012 by the way.

 

Sounds like your only option is duck tape or..gorilla tape!

 

Regular packing tape doesn't really work that well at all.

post #4284 of 9507
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainRazer View Post
 


even the paper clips starts to bend, I bought this November 2012 by the way.

 

Yea, if you've never opened the first time is definitely hard. Give the mechanical pencils a try?

post #4285 of 9507
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post
 

 

Sounds like your only option is duck tape or..gorilla tape!

 

Regular packing tape doesn't really work that well at all.


I doubt it will work, I tried using the bottom part of my mouse pad and....

as you can see, it's quite shredded but that doesn't even move a tiny bit of the grills.

post #4286 of 9507
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainRazer View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post
 

 

Sounds like your only option is duck tape or..gorilla tape!

 

Regular packing tape doesn't really work that well at all.


I doubt it will work, I tried using the bottom part of my mouse pad and....

as you can see, it's quite shredded but that doesn't even move a tiny bit of the grills.

 

A mousepad? Noooo don't use a mousepad or anything like that. If the grills have never been turned you need more force to release them. May sound silly but you are turning them the right way, correct? 

 

Try to grip those paperclips closer to the bottom and try to wiggle the grill back and forth a bit. Try it on each cup. Maybe one will budge. 

post #4287 of 9507
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post
 

 

A mousepad? Noooo don't use a mousepad or anything like that. If the grills have never been turned you need more force to release them. May sound silly but you are turning them the right way, correct? 

 

Try to grip those paperclips closer to the bottom and try to wiggle the grill back and forth a bit. Try it on each cup. Maybe one will budge. 


yeah, its counter clockwise, and the mouse pad is just a back up so it's fine.

I tried on both cups and even changing the radius on the grills "with the paper clips"

still, no luck...

all the tools I've used.

post #4288 of 9507
You have to slightly push down while turning, not just turning. Those black tweezers look like the perfect tool.
post #4289 of 9507
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainRazer View Post


yeah, its counter clockwise, and the mouse pad is just a back up so it's fine.

I tried on both cups and even changing the radius on the grills "with the paper clips"

still, no luck...

all the tools I've used.

 

It's like a tool graveyard! 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashade View Post

You have to slightly push down while turning, not just turning. Those black tweezers look like the perfect tool.

 

I agree those black tweezer looking things look perfect.

post #4290 of 9507

Use the holes closest to the edge. Also try to use one at 12 o' clock and the other at 6. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread