or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Q701 impressions thread - Page 282

post #4216 of 9490

Any comments on Matrix M-Stage vs. Asgard with these headphones?

post #4217 of 9490

Hi Head-Fi, I'm new here and just want to share a bit of my experience and perhaps ask for some opinions (I posted this before in the introductions section, no response was given so might as well try to post it here) :D

 

I recently bought a set of my first proper audio gear (Q701 + Schiit Magni/Modi), which I've been planning to achieve for the last year. The original plan was to get a DT880 600ohm + FiiO E09/E17, but now it turns out that I can actually get the Schiit Magni/Modi for not much more than the FiiO pair which I believe should be better. The Q701 combined with the Schiit duo is a major leap forward from my Bose QC15, but I have to say I am a bit disappointed with the under-performing bass and the very hard foams which hurts the top of my head. I'm really enjoying the Q701 and have no intention of putting on my QC15 ever again frankly, but currently I have a distinct impression that the DT880 would be better for movies?

 

Do you think I made the right choice by getting the Q701 + Magni/Modi instead of DT880 + E09/E17? Thanks

post #4218 of 9490
62 ohm,
One thing I've noticed about the Bose house sound in the headphones I've spent time with, they don't JUST have a lack of detail... They're usually quite dark headphones with a major tilt up in the bass. Going from that to the AKG's (which have a sound based off of studio monitoring intent) or almost any of the classic hi-fi brands is quite a change. Bass, even bad bloated blooming bass, is addictive, and you'd need some major mental rebooting to transition away from very colored.

I haven't listened to the DT880 myself, but from what I've read, it has less mid bass but rolls off sub-bass slower (so it extends into the bass better/more), and the treble has a spike that overall makes the DT880 sound like a brighter headphone than the Q701... and even further away from what you're used to with the Bose. I'm not saying don't try it, I'm saying I bet you'd have an even harder time adjusting. It's sharper, so much clarity that you may find it uncomfortable or fatiguing.

I may make a weird suggestion in your case... Do you watch movies with an Xbox or something with an optical-out? I think you ought to keep the Schiit Stack for music, because you'll grow to appreciate it's strengths (until you upgrade, maybe something like the iCan amp would combine fidelity and fun in a nice way for you), but for now, with movies, consider going a little low-fi with a Turtle Beach DSS from eBay. About $30, it's not going to be the last word on clarity, BUT it has a sub-bassy boosting dial that may be perfect for you with movies, low hiss (dampened even better by the AKG's 62 ohm impedance and sensitivity), plus it simulates surround into stereo headphones so the movie will seem to happen around you. Does it make sense why I'm suggesting this? You could even experiment with double-amping into the Magni. But again, I think you should keep the Modi for music and your computer, and the Magni for at least a while, because as your brain gets used to them you'll like them more and more.

Easy fix for the headband bumps (which, even after having the headphone for a year, still big me): get baby's seatbelt covers, I got a nice thick one and wrapped it around my Q701 headband, fits perfectly and greatly improved comfort. You can also find other solutions if you're feeling creative/brave enough.

By the way, help a fellow head-fi'er out; you seem to have found a deal on the Schiit gear, do you have a tip for where I should look to get a Modi for myself? Thanks!
Edited by Evshrug - 10/13/13 at 9:01pm
post #4219 of 9490

Hi Evshrug,

 

I actually listened to the B&W P3 & P5 before deciding that I must get a phones that emphasize more on mids rather than lows, and found myself preferred my C5 earphone for walking around rather than the QC15, so I may have a little bit of experience with weak bass before getting the Q701, though I didn't expect it to be this...less frankly (don't get me wrong, I love the Q701, all I'm saying is that it's not without flaws)

 

Do I need to get a tube amp for the Q701? It sounds kind of bright to me with the Schiit stack. In the case of movies, I plug the Magni directly to the blu-ray player, leaving the Modi out of the equation. It does make the movie livelier. 

 

Regarding the Schiit deal, I didn't found a deal, it's just FiiO might be overpriced here in NZ (got mine from www.computerlounge.co.nz). The FiiO E09 + E17 costs $370 NZD, while the Schiit stack is $100 NZD more expensive I believe it is the better choice since other Schiit products are solid and of high standards.

post #4220 of 9490
Well 62 Ohm,
I don't want to mislead you, the Q701 bass is/was fine for me (I recently bought a K712, not for the +3 dB bass increase but because of the headband, coiled cable, reports of improved mid tone, and largely to celebrate my new job), but I have read a fair number of people who hear the Q701 and desire more bass. Thankfully, it does cleanly respond to EQs such as those from the DSS or FiiO portables... the E09k isn't an EQ, it wouldn't change the Q701 signature much. That said, a fair number of people think the Magni is a bit of a bright pairing with the Q701... It measures flat, but there is enough people with that perception so perhaps there is something to it? So, at least you're not alone.

A tube amp can definitely color the sound, I use a tube amp myself most of the time with my Q701 (haven't put the K712 through it's paces yet), though I'm not sure which tube in which amp does a great job to boost and warm the bass, because that's not been a personal goal of mine. I got a Rock 'n Glass tube amp from Zigis here on Head-Fi, my favorite tube so far was a Sylvania JAN 6DJ8 tube that honeyed the mids and highs while enhancing the perception of soundstage to the best I've ever heard. I first used an Amperex (white letters), which had more bass but seemed to me to make the sound too dark, and right now I have in one of the famous Amperex tubes with the "bugle boy" picture on it, but it has problems with microphonics (bump the table, touch the amp, wiggle the cable, maybe even talk loud and the vibration makes the tube produce an irritating ringing sound), maybe I have a mediocre sample, but I have another "Bugle Boy" to try and a bunch of Voskhod tubes. Buying NOS tubes second hand is kind of a crapshoot IMO, and some amps require you to re-bias for new tubes, but it + my Q701 has produced the best sound I've ever heard.

Solid-State amps, they're more reliable what you get and less finicky, although I don't think tubes are a major pain (easy to stick with one you like for a long time). I use my Yamaha receiver and FiiO E12, used to have an E5 that did surprisingly well for $25 USD, they're great options (I always wanted to try an E11 as a budget option, FWIR I was about to recommend you try one, but then I thought I ought to stick to gear I've personally tried and thus suggested the Turtle Beach DSS, I still wanna try an E11 though). Before you spend a lotta extra money though, I stand by my original recommendation, try adding a DSS with your blu-Ray player and play with a little bass boost while you acclimate to your new purchase. You could also try the bass mod people have been talking about on this thread the past several pages, though I haven't tried it myself.
post #4221 of 9490

well I guess I'll give the turtle beach DSS a shot for movies, though for he long run it seems I would have to aim for a tube amp. Thanks for the help mate!

 

 

PS: do you think I should deviate from Schiit AMP/DAC products for future upgrades? or does the Bifrost/Valhalla combo suits a Q701 well?

post #4222 of 9490

Has anyone had a look at the bass port in the K712? Open, foamed or taped like the rest?

post #4223 of 9490

Taped. There is a picture provided by Chicolom in this thread i think.

 

EDIT:

No, sorry, its here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/659251/the-akg-k712-pro-support-and-appreciation-thread/1155


Edited by Redshift Rider - 10/14/13 at 10:56am
post #4224 of 9490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post

A tube amp can definitely color the sound, I use a tube amp myself most of the time with my Q701 (haven't put the K712 through it's paces yet), though I'm not sure which tube in which amp does a great job to boost and warm the bass, because that's not been a personal goal of mine. I got a Rock 'n Glass tube amp from Zigis here on Head-Fi, my favorite tube so far was a Sylvania JAN 6DJ8 tube that honeyed the mids and highs while enhancing the perception of soundstage to the best I've ever heard. I first used an Amperex (white letters), which had more bass but seemed to me to make the sound too dark, and right now I have in one of the famous Amperex tubes with the "bugle boy" picture on it, but it has problems with microphonics (bump the table, touch the amp, wiggle the cable, maybe even talk loud and the vibration makes the tube produce an irritating ringing sound), maybe I have a mediocre sample, but I have another "Bugle Boy" to try and a bunch of Voskhod tubes. Buying NOS tubes second hand is kind of a crapshoot IMO, and some amps require you to re-bias for new tubes, but it + my Q701 has produced the best sound I've ever heard.
 

 

Dude, you're making me squirm.  I just ordered a Schiit Lyr and a couple of matched pairs to supplement the tubes that come with it.  I didn't want to spend a small fortune, so I opted for the Matsu****a / National PCC88 / 7DJ8 based on the review, thinking that might be really sweet for the Q701.  I also figured I'd try the Reflector 6N23P-EV Military Cryo.  From the Lyr tube rolling thread: "Another alternative would be Saratov/Reflektor 6N23P/6N23P-EV they have rolled off treble which should play nice with overly bright headphones."  Also, someone said they're good on his K701.  They require a fair amount of burn-in, apparently.  I'm really looking forward to both.

 

From reading a lot in the past few days to educate myself about tubes (maybe the true rabbit hole of this wonderful hobby ;) ), microphonics decrease as price (for NOS) increases.  That may be a "Duh..." comment, but it's important.  This page has some really good info, at least for the 6DJ8 lineage.  Not saying you should buy there, though apparently it's quite reputable.  I was tempted to try the white box/job box Bugle Boys he has, as the price seems good, but your comment about microphonics makes me think I'll wait, play with what I (will soon) have, and then try to find something really nice in the 6922/E88CC line.

 

So yeah, even though I've also got an HE-500 coming, I've been thinking about the Q701 on the Lyr.  Thanks for sharing your knowledge and impressions.

post #4225 of 9490
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post
 

 

Dude, you're making me squirm.  I just ordered a Schiit Lyr and a couple of matched pairs to supplement the tubes that come with it.  I didn't want to spend a small fortune, so I opted for the Matsu****a / National PCC88 / 7DJ8 based on the review, thinking that might be really sweet for the Q701.  I also figured I'd try the Reflector 6N23P-EV Military Cryo.  From the Lyr tube rolling thread: "Another alternative would be Saratov/Reflektor 6N23P/6N23P-EV they have rolled off treble which should play nice with overly bright headphones."  Also, someone said they're good on his K701.  They require a fair amount of burn-in, apparently.  I'm really looking forward to both.

 

From reading a lot in the past few days to educate myself about tubes (maybe the true rabbit hole of this wonderful hobby ;) ), microphonics decrease as price (for NOS) increases.  That may be a "Duh..." comment, but it's important.  This page has some really good info, at least for the 6DJ8 lineage.  Not saying you should buy there, though apparently it's quite reputable.  I was tempted to try the white box/job box Bugle Boys he has, as the price seems good, but your comment about microphonics makes me think I'll wait, play with what I (will soon) have, and then try to find something really nice in the 6922/E88CC line.

 

So yeah, even though I've also got an HE-500 coming, I've been thinking about the Q701 on the Lyr.  Thanks for sharing your knowledge and impressions.

 

Looking forward to your comments. Did you get the Sabre DAC?

 

I might post later some pictures with the Q´s on the acrylic Brainwavz stands I just got, plus the final headband mods of the Q´s.

 

By the way, I go the K271 and... :/ I was actually expecting more for the reviews I read of them. Anyway, waiting for some velour pads from Hifiman to see what happens with the sound; the stocks ones are just unweareable.

post #4226 of 9490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashade View Post
 

 

Looking forward to your comments. Did you get the Sabre DAC?

 

I might post later some pictures with the Q´s on the acrylic Brainwavz stands I just got, plus the final headband mods of the Q´s.

 

By the way, I go the K271 and... :/ I was actually expecting more for the reviews I read of them. Anyway, waiting for some velour pads from Hifiman to see what happens with the sound; the stocks ones are just unweareable.

 

Ordered it, and it finally made it to the US.  Ought to be here this week.  Long trip from China ;)

 

I ordered the head-shaped Brainwavz stand (Peridot).  Which did you get?  I might have to get another for the Q701.  That or a headphone hook that screws into the wall.  Flat space is at a premium in my laboratory.  But pics of the Q701 with the Hippie Dream Headband mod sounds like a good idea.

 

Bummer about the K271.  I guess all reviews are relative to the listener and what they're used to.  Maybe coming from some Bose NC cans, the K271 would sound pretty sweet.  One thing I'm learning about Head-Fi, it's a robust community.  If you don't mod it and keep it in excellent condition, you could list it in the "classifieds" forum.  That's where I found my HE-500, and hope to unload my AKG pads.  Just need to get off my ***** and do it :D

 

Hope the new pads help!  I'm getting psyched to whip out the X-Acto knife and slice and dice my HiFiMan pads.

post #4227 of 9490

Hi are there anyone else here experiencing a change in sound characteristics on their Q701 after a week? Strange mine changed after a week, but not for the worse... The once a bit harsh highs has become much warmer

post #4228 of 9490
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62ohm View Post

Hi are there anyone else here experiencing a change in sound characteristics on their Q701 after a week? Strange mine changed after a week, but not for the worse... The once a bit harsh highs has become much warmer
Sound felt like it have improved all the time I had it imo. I had it for a year so far.
post #4229 of 9490
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62ohm View Post
 

Hi are there anyone else here experiencing a change in sound characteristics on their Q701 after a week? Strange mine changed after a week, but not for the worse... The once a bit harsh highs has become much warmer

 

This is the concept of burn-in or break-in.  You can read all sorts of funny threads about it.  Some swear it's true, others say: Placebo.  I think the general consensus is that the Q701 will improve over time, esp. in the ways you've observed.  For me, I listened to it briefly when I got it, then stuck it in a closet and burned it in for at least 100 hours.  And of course plenty of use since.  To my ears it improved, but as some will tell me, it could be the placebo effect.  Well, they wouldn't say "could be"  ;)

 

So yeah, you should notice it improve.  You can speed the process along, just don't run it 24/7.  I ran it a few hours (no more than 12), gave it a rest, ran it some more, etc.  One way to do it is play a variety of music on shuffle at levels slightly louder than those at which they'd normally listen.  Others use pink noise.  Some, both.

 

HTH.  Enjoy your cans!  :k701smile:

post #4230 of 9490
Hi 62ohm,

Can't believe nobody said this yet, but welcome to Head Fi and sorry about your wallet!

The K/Q701 series always sounds a bit harsh & plasticky out of the box. It definitely does improve & smooth out over the first hundred hours or so. I also like to put mine in a closet just burn it in for a few days before I hear a new pair. But it will improve over time regardless, and you'll probably end up getting used to the bass because it is clear and precise, rather than bloated. It's just kind of a habit thing, like enjoying too much salt on your food than you really should.

Schiit always recommends the Lyr for this series of headphones, period.

I have always used a tube amp with mine. I think the headphones sounds terrible coming out of the solid state amp, no matter how many I tried. Its just too harsh and analytical, while a tube amp softens & warms it up and makes it beautiful and musical again. So that's my advice, definitely shoot for a tube amp in the future.

I agree with the DSP idea if you really need it, but I think over time you will really appreciate the headphone's sound signature just how it is.

The Q/K and the DT 880 are variations of a theme. Also, the DT comes in 3 models which are all quite different. The 600-Ohm is by far my favorite. If you really want to know for sure, you really need to listen to them side by side. Both headphones have their weaknesses and strengths, and in the end I chose the AKG because of its much better soundstage and instrument separation, and let go of the DT which had more impactful bass. The AKG goes deeper and is more controlled, but the DT had much more force. It was something I just learned to live with.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread