or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Q701 impressions thread - Page 240

post #3586 of 9490

Well, the thing about Silver is it is the most electrically capacitive metal (least resistance?) on the periodic table. Copper is second, gold's not particularly amazing. The best thing that can be said about a gold-coated plug is that it doesn't oxidize (corrode, rust, tarnish) so that the contact is solid, but an all-gold cable wouldn't work very well.

 

Gold as a raw material may be more valuable, but I don't remember which is rarer. A silver cable with a chrome plug would be fine/happy for me.

post #3587 of 9490

Heynice,

looks like you're making a bag of popcorn. Don't let that burn a hole in your house, Aliens-Blood style!

post #3588 of 9490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post


The 1/8 rule means you ought to buy an amp costing 8x as much as the headphone.

 

LOL

:D

post #3589 of 9490
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heynice View Post

Just put an order for JDS ODAC since the batter on my d10 is about to explode, probably be a month + before I get new batteries for it, I can't wait that long!



Anyways, can't wait to see how it sounds with the q701!


 



These guys from JDS Labs are pretty fast. I got my posts in two days both of the times.

I got mine in Friday and I'm planning to upgrade during the weekend. The challenge is to keep the batteries inside. I'll let you know my impressions if I don't mess up building it. biggrin.gif

post #3590 of 9490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post

The 1/8 rule means you ought to buy an amp costing 8x as much as the headphone.
No, just kidding.

There was a post on Head Fi where a Q701 and Bryston BHA-1 owner said the Bryston makes the Q701 sound even more amazing.
So maybe it should be the 4X rule?

Hey, just kidding, but I sure woud like to try this theory out someday!
post #3591 of 9490
I throw jokes out all the time, gotta say though I love it when others enjoy wink.gif
post #3592 of 9490
Maybe K712 pro with a shorter silver cable would be just the thing... LOL I haven't even bought the thing yet and I'm already contemplating an upgrade path!

(Sorry for double posting, I forgot myself)
post #3593 of 9490

Alright, so I have a set of AKG Q701s which I run on my desktop. I have an Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card; my question is should I consider an investment in a dedicated amp for my cans, or just run with the sound card. Also if I should go amp, what would be ideal for the Q701s. Thanks in advance for any help.

post #3594 of 9490

This song just made me fall in love with my Q701's omg this is exactly what I wanted them for

 

post #3595 of 9490
Krazor,
The amp inside the STX, from all reports, is already quite good and above average. Personally, straight out from an iPod or the surround processor I bought for my Xbox 360 (a Recon3D USB), the headphone sounded better than what I owned before but somehow it still sounded like it was being held back... Just try it straight into the STX, and see if you feel that way. The STX has an above-average (better than I started with) amp in it already. I didn't have to spend more money on an amp before I found one I was happy with between the Q's and my iPod/console, for me it was a tube amp with a signature I liked, but many people prefer the sound of Solid State amps anyway. Side note:sometimes (like now), I still plug the headphones straight into my iPod/iPad, and still enjoy them.

Advil,
I got a kick out of that, even despite YouTube (and the sound broke up for me twice?), I also enjoyed the photography. Thanks very much for the share ^_^
Edited by Evshrug - 9/7/13 at 10:35pm
post #3596 of 9490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazor View Post
 

Alright, so I have a set of AKG Q701s which I run on my desktop. I have an Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card; my question is should I consider an investment in a dedicated amp for my cans, or just run with the sound card. Also if I should go amp, what would be ideal for the Q701s. Thanks in advance for any help.

 

 

I have the Q701 that I mainly use for gaming.

 

I am using the same soundcard and they sound great with gaming and music.....I also have a Little Dot 1+ amp....and they sound alittle better with music, when plugged into the amp.

 

That being said, the soundcard has a very nice headphone amp in it....I don't think you will be disappointed at all with that combo....it should sound very nice, indeed.

post #3597 of 9490
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlwind View Post
 

 

 

I have the Q701 that I mainly use for gaming.

 

I am using the same soundcard and they sound great with gaming and music.....I also have a Little Dot 1+ amp....and they sound alittle better with music, when plugged into the amp.

 

That being said, the soundcard has a very nice headphone amp in it....I don't think you will be disappointed at all with that combo....it should sound very nice, indeed.

This is kind of where I'm coming from. I have had this sound card for over a year now, and don't get me wrong I love it. As for the Q701s they are about a month or two old. I do a considerable amount of gaming and it provides plenty when it comes to that;  the amp would be focused on improving my music quality and I'm just curious if an amp would be a good investment, or if the gain in experience for music would be near negligible. Thanks for the feedback.

post #3598 of 9490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazor View Post
 

Alright, so I have a set of AKG Q701s which I run on my desktop. I have an Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card; my question is should I consider an investment in a dedicated amp for my cans, or just run with the sound card. Also if I should go amp, what would be ideal for the Q701s. Thanks in advance for any help.

 

This is probably an apples to oranges comparison, but my old M-Audio Revo 5.1 has a decent headphone amp and DAC, but it's a little under-powered for the Q701s. Just about drives the K550s. Since I got the JDS Labs C5 for a portable rig, I tried it with the Revo 5.1, and, as with most sources, the C5 does its job admirably. I got a nice long patch cable to run from the Revo 5.1 to the top of my desk just so I can chain the C5 to the PC. It's a right proper li'l amp.

 

You could compare the h/w specs

http://www.m-audio.com/images/global/manuals/060317_Rev51_UG_EN01.pdf

vs.

http://www.asus.com/Sound_Cards_and_DigitaltoAnalog_Converters/Xonar_Essence_STX/#specifications

 

but the only way to tell for sure is to try an amp with it. If you've got a need for a portable HP amp, there's your option for comparison.... once you decide on the amp  ;)

post #3599 of 9490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazor View Post

This is kind of where I'm coming from. I have had this sound card for over a year now, and don't get me wrong I love it. As for the Q701s they are about a month or two old. I do a considerable amount of gaming and it provides plenty when it comes to that;  the amp would be focused on improving my music quality and I'm just curious if an amp would be a good investment, or if the gain in experience for music would be near negligible. Thanks for the feedback.
IMO the power and minimal distortion will be a suitable match for the Q701, once you've got that most solid state amps sound about the same. There's every reason to be happy with what you have, unless you just want to change the sound of your amping, in which case I've had a pleasant experience with a tube amp, but I still use SS amps from time to time for the sake of convenience.
post #3600 of 9490
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlwind View Post
 

 

 

I have the Q701 that I mainly use for gaming.

 

I am using the same soundcard and they sound great with gaming and music.....I also have a Little Dot 1+ amp....and they sound alittle better with music, when plugged into the amp.

 

That being said, the soundcard has a very nice headphone amp in it....I don't think you will be disappointed at all with that combo....it should sound very nice, indeed.

 

Just curious here.......just looking for opinions:

Would you mind explaining the difference in sound (as you hear it) between the Little Dot 1+ and your STX card?

thx, C

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread