or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Q701 impressions thread - Page 232

post #3466 of 9490

My ears are getting used to it and it's getting better and better for every hour! **** yes baby! :D

 

I think it was just that I got so focused on the "soundframe" of the DT 990 that my ears just went all retard when I listened to something different :P

post #3467 of 9490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtri View Post

My ears are getting used to it and it's getting better and better for every hour! **** yes baby! :D

 

I think it was just that I got so focused on the "soundframe" of the DT 990 that my ears just went all retard when I listened to something different :P

 

 

Shouldnt happen. DT990 and Q701 are very close. In fact, I can switch between the DT990pro and Q701 and there really isnt much difference other than DT990 having maybe 10% more bass and Q701 having a slightly bigger soundstage. Other than that they're very very similar, they have about the same levels of transparency, dynamics, detail, etc. Also, to me switching from DT990 to Q701 or K701 makes the AKG sound a bit plasticky. It definitely doesnt have as natural timbre as the DT990, but that goes away after 2 minutes of listening.


Edited by derbigpr - 8/23/13 at 2:35pm
post #3468 of 9490

Wierd, because It's very different from listening to my DT 990 compared to the Q701.. Hmm.. It's a very different soundstage for me, it was very exhausting in the start to listen to the Q701, but it has gotten a lot better now. But it's not at all like the DT 990.

 

You have the DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm?


Edited by Xtri - 8/23/13 at 3:09pm
post #3469 of 9490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtri View Post

Something about the treble.. It's just so.. Sharp? Maybe it's just that I am so used to the DT 990's.


I've never got used to that treble, I'm finally giving up and getting rid of mine. I think I hear what others like about the Q701, but that treble ruins it for me.

post #3470 of 9490

For me it isn't so much the treble as the ringing in the earcup. It creates a very uncomfortable and fatiguing feeling inside my ears. When I listen to music with the Q701, regardless of how quietly I listen, it feels as though the muscles in my middle ear just will not relax. After a short time (30-60 minutes), I have to stop listening to give my ears a rest. Aside from that, there is a definite lack of bass presence and the mids are extremely dry. The peak at 2khz makes female vocals sound plasticky and artificial. I don't have any of these problems with my HD800. Admittedly, this is a pretty silly comparison, but still, I find it difficult to enjoy my Q701 anymore.

post #3471 of 9490

I really like the Q701 with my vintage Pioneer SX-750. I'm feeding it from my laptop and an E17, I have a JDS Labs ODAC on the way to replace the E17 for DAC duty. Hopefully it improves the sound even more. I can't wait.

post #3472 of 9490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalker81598 View Post

For me it isn't so much the treble as the ringing in the earcup. It creates a very uncomfortable and fatiguing feeling inside my ears. When I listen to music with the Q701, regardless of how quietly I listen, it feels as though the muscles in my middle ear just will not relax. After a short time (30-60 minutes), I have to stop listening to give my ears a rest. Aside from that, there is a definite lack of bass presence and the mids are extremely dry. The peak at 2khz makes female vocals sound plasticky and artificial. I don't have any of these problems with my HD800. Admittedly, this is a pretty silly comparison, but still, I find it difficult to enjoy my Q701 anymore.

Ok. This looks like a summary of all those negative opinions about AKG x70x we have had opportunity to read on this forum. I wonder if this is your own opinion or an opinion based on the influence of other people's negative opinions. Comparing Q701 to HD800 is not a silly thing, why would it be? Those two headphone models are on a quite similar level of performance, technically speaking. The price of course is another measure which is completely unimportant when it comes to the quality of equipment. It is quite certain that Sennheiser headphones are overpriced. 


Edited by bracko - 8/23/13 at 10:50pm
post #3473 of 9490
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmers View Post


I've never got used to that treble, I'm finally giving up and getting rid of mine. I think I hear what others like about the Q701, but that treble ruins it for me.

What other headphones are you comparing to?

post #3474 of 9490
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxamed View Post

Ok. This looks like a summary of all those negative opinions about AKG x70x we have had opportunity to read on this forum. I wonder if this is your own opinion or an opinion based on the influence of other people's negative opinions. Comparing Q701 to HD800 is not a silly thing, why would it be? Those two headphone models are on a quite similar level of performance, technically speaking. The price of course is another measure which is completely unimportant when it comes to the quality of equipment. It is quite certain that Sennheiser headphones are overpriced. 

 

I'm not simply repeating what others have said. I own both of these headphones and my assessment is my own, based on many hundreds of hours of listening. I frankly do not like the Q701. I'm sorry if that upsets or offends you.

 

In my opinion, the Q701 and HD800 are absolutely not similar in technical performance. Not even close. I can see how, to an untrained ear, they can sound similar on first listen. However, any amount of time spent with both headphones will make it apparent that the HD800 is much more refined in every aspect and the difference is most definitely not subtle. IMO

 

As I said, my opinions are my own and I respect the opinions of others. There are many people that like the Q701 and many that do not. I am one of the latter. Don't presume to tell me that I am simply imitating the words of others just because my opinion differs from your own and you don't like it.

post #3475 of 9490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalker81598 View Post

 

I'm not simply repeating what others have said. I own both of these headphones and my assessment is my own, based on many hundreds of hours of listening. I frankly do not like the Q701. I'm sorry if that upsets or offends you.

 

In my opinion, the Q701 and HD800 are absolutely not similar in technical performance. Not even close. I can see how, to an untrained ear, they can sound similar on first listen. However, any amount of time spent with both headphones will make it apparent that the HD800 is much more refined in every aspect and the difference is most definitely not subtle. IMO

 

As I said, my opinions are my own and I respect the opinions of others. There are many people that like the Q701 and many that do not. I am one of the latter. Don't presume to tell me that I am simply imitating the words of others just because my opinion differs from your own and you don't like it.

I am on a similar boat.

 

When I got the Q701, I read reviews and all I read is "this headphone is so comfortable, I could listen to it for hours".

However, I am puzzled by how people can use this for hours.

 

For myself, I cannot stand more than an hour wearing these continiously. The velour pads are too dense that ends up putting way too much pressure on my jaw bone. I owned both the K701 and Q701 and suffer from the similar problem. However, I love the sound of these headphoens so I'll endure some pain if I have to biggrin.gif

post #3476 of 9490
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxamed View Post

What other headphones are you comparing to?


It's not really comparison - it's absolute. It's not that it's different it's just unacceptable to me. Main phones HD650, main portable Momentum previous work/portable phones PX100 and PX200 (also have Jays VJays but never use them, don't like the roughness).

It has nothing to do with what others might put as a negative, it's what I hear - guess I'm too treble sensitive.


Edited by jimmers - 8/24/13 at 4:04am
post #3477 of 9490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalker81598 View Post

As I said, my opinions are my own and I respect the opinions of others. There are many people that like the Q701 and many that do not. I am one of the latter. Don't presume to tell me that I am simply imitating the words of others just because my opinion differs from your own and you don't like it.

Of course  I understand and accept your opinion but this thread you see, is a "Q701 appreciation thread", not "Q701 depreciation thread" so ...

post #3478 of 9490
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilsont View Post

I am on a similar boat.

 

When I got the Q701, I read reviews and all I read is "this headphone is so comfortable, I could listen to it for hours".

However, I am puzzled by how people can use this for hours.

 

For myself, I cannot stand more than an hour wearing these continiously. The velour pads are too dense that ends up putting way too much pressure on my jaw bone. I owned both the K701 and Q701 and suffer from the similar problem. However, I love the sound of these headphoens so I'll endure some pain if I have to biggrin.gif

 

Sounds like some modding is in order wink.gif  I haven't had mine long enough to think about modding, but I don't have the problem of too much pressure. The pads are definitely stiff, esp. compared to the K550, though I reckon that's by design. With the K550 being closed, I guess AKG wanted to get the best seal they could. I quite like it, though they do sit close to the ears. The semi-open nature of the Q701 and its sound stage seem to do well with these pads, but I wonder how the bass and sound stage would change - if at all - with slightly snugger pads. I vaguely recall a post or thread comparing the K701/2 with the Q701, and noting the pads were different, and thus colored the sound differently, all else (esp. drivers) being equal. Guess I need to do some (more) research wink.gif

 

Cheers.

post #3479 of 9490
I have owned the K702, which I thought was a great headphone. When the Q came out, I preferred it's sound signature and gave the 702 to my son. From there I ended up with the HD800, which I found to be extraordinary. But I still preferred the Q on many classical and acoustic jazz cd's. I recently bought the new K712, and I generally prefer it over the Q and in many cases over the HD800.
If you love your Q701's, try to hear the 712. It has deeper, fuller bass without bloat, spot on mids and a smooth and detailed treble. To my ears these are the ultimate headphone in the AKG 700 series stable.
post #3480 of 9490

As I was getting back into phones and shopping for some new headphones, I spent quite a bit of time exploring various threads herein. In the past I was an avid headphone enthusiast but had drifted back to my first love, a regular 2 channel analog stereo. My Audio Note E SPx speakers in a predominantly Audio Note system kept me pretty busy as  I have limited free time due to work and family responsibilities. In the past, though, I had Sennheiser HD 600 and 650s, AKG K601 and 701s, and currently have Grado SR 125s and Audio Technica  ATH AD 700s. I recently tried AKG K240's and while they were enjoyable, they seemed closed in and veiled, even after break-in. They were returned. Some good soul on this site posted that there was a good deal on Amazon for Q701s( the lime green ones, Gosh I love that color!) After reading about them and becoming very interested because of my prior experiences with the K701s (but too thin in the bass and a little too much treble), I jumped on them. They were returns to Amazon Warehouse Deals and were $146 and change. What a deal! Well, they arrived the other day and to my disappointment, they were without the shorter cable and adapter. I contacted Amazon and they wowed me with amazing customer service and offered me an additional 25% off. So  I got what looked to be an as new AKG q701s for about $110 shipped. Double wow on that deal!  But the really good news is that I love the sound of the Q701s and would love them even if I had paid close to list price. To my memory, they have many of the traits I admired about the K701s without the characteristics I hated. They sound great with my Marantz 2230 receiver and Bravo v2 12au7 amp. They seem fairly easily driven with both of these amps and have satisfying but not overwhelming bass, great midrange, excellent detail, are almost as spacious as my AD700s in soundstage, and I find them musical, natural,  and non-fatiguing. They are fairly comfortable, much more so than the Grados, but somewhat less so than the AD700s. They seemed to benefit a little from break-in but only a bit. After 96 hours I really haven't heard much change. I was prepared for these to be fairly finicky about amplification but even with my Qinpu hybrid, they sound pretty good. These are overall  the best headphones I've yet owned, or possibly more correctly, the most enjoyable. And, in the final analysis, isn't that the bottom line? For me, at least, it is!


Edited by BillyBenBilly - 8/24/13 at 1:17pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread