Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Q701 impressions thread - Page 213

post #3181 of 7423
Quote:
Originally Posted by qbroid View Post

I just found it is really necessary to change the cable for Q701, not for sound quality, but the original ones are TOO long

if not for sound quality, why not just braid it up to the length you want.  This worked for me.

post #3182 of 7423

really enjoying these cans so far.....best headphone I have ever used for gaming....just awesome.

 

Somebody suggest me some good music that these will shine on.....any genre is fine by me.

post #3183 of 7423
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post


Aww. I got all excited whilst reading your earlier post. Sad face. D'you think all of that seller's cables have that malfunction, or is quality too suspect anyway?

I just found my 6m cable biggrin.gif
Somehow it fell behind the ottoman with the secret compartment of audio and cinema goodies. Wonder how it got there?



1-MiC,
I tried the HE-400. While I think many will like it, I think it's LESS versatile than the Q701. Objectively speaking, the mids are pretty recessed, upper mids are almost clouded over, but it's also fair to say that it has a very "complimentary" (opposite?) sound signature in contrast to the Q701. But who am I to talk, I think I'm about to add a M-100 to my "collection."

 

I know this is a bit off-topic, but the HE-400 has been on my radar for about forever. The graphs of it look ugly but I never go by graphs at all, especially since my DJ100 has a huge dip in the upper mids and actually has FORWARD upper mids.

 

Do female vocals on the HE-400 ever sound distant or recessed? If so I would definitely pass. The Q701 has slightly forward sounding female vocals (but still very accurate). They're even more forward than my HD-598 and 650. About the same as my DJ100 maybe.

 

I don't know if it's true, but someone once told me that dips in a frequency graph are much harder to hear than peaks.

 

I think i'd love a Q701 with more low bass and still retaining those nice upper mids. Probably impossible! It's definitely not the "Annie". Maybe AKG can make a closed Q701!

post #3184 of 7423
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

 

I know this is a bit off-topic, but the HE-400 has been on my radar for about forever.

 

Do female vocals on the HE-400 ever sound distant or recessed? If so I would definitely pass. The Q701 has slightly forward sounding female vocals (but still very accurate). They're even more forward than my HD-598 and 650. About the same as my DJ100 maybe.

 

I don't know if it's true, but someone once told me that dips in a frequency graph are much harder to hear than peaks.

 

I think i'd love a Q701 with more low bass and still retaining those nice upper mids. Probably impossible! It's definitely not the "Annie". Maybe AKG can make a closed Q701!

 

 

 

The Q701 has more mids, darker treble, and less bass quantity. The HE400 sounds slightly "V" shaped next to the Q701, with more recessed mids and upper mids and stronger and clearer treble.  The bass quantity is higher and the extension is better.

 

I think you will probably miss the Q701s mids when listening to the HE400.

post #3185 of 7423

I have been listening to many instrumentals by The Alan Parsons Project, with these headphones and they sound beautiful...I mean jaw dropping.

post #3186 of 7423
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicolom View Post

 

 

 

The Q701 has more mids, darker treble, and less bass quantity. The HE400 sounds slightly "V" shaped next to the Q701, with more recessed mids and upper mids and stronger and clearer treble.  The bass quantity is higher and the extension is better.

 

I think you will probably miss the Q701s mids when listening to the HE400.

 

Yeah i think that sounds about what i'm looking for as a  "complimentary" headphone, something a little more polite then the Q701. I know my Q701 is a keeper, but for a second main set i'm a little up in the air. It seems to come down to how much are you willing to sacrifice for a deeper bass?

post #3187 of 7423

New guy here showing appreciation for my only decent headphones so far, the Q701!  Love these so far.  I'm waiting on an Objective2 in the mail to power them, but the internals of my laptop make them sound great as well.  Perfect for jazz, trippy hip-hop production, and Bioshock.  Currently seeking recommendations for a really creepy ass, atmospheric game to try them out with.  

post #3188 of 7423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesthehooligan View Post

New guy here showing appreciation for my only decent headphones so far, the Q701!  Love these so far.  I'm waiting on an Objective2 in the mail to power them, but the internals of my laptop make them sound great as well.  Perfect for jazz, trippy hip-hop production, and Bioshock.  Currently seeking recommendations for a really creepy ass, atmospheric game to try them out with.  

Stalker Shadow Of Chernobyl

post #3189 of 7423
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlwind View Post

Stalker Shadow Of Chernobyl


I was just about to say Call of Pripyat, lol.

post #3190 of 7423
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-MiC View Post

 

Yeah i think that sounds about what i'm looking for as a  "complimentary" headphone, something a little more polite then the Q701. I know my Q701 is a keeper, but for a second main set i'm a little up in the air. It seems to come down to how much are you willing to sacrifice for a deeper bass?


I went with HE500 for 2nd HPs.  Very happy so far.  Still using both daily.  Warning : the HE500 could be quite addictive :)

post #3191 of 7423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesthehooligan View Post

New guy here showing appreciation for my only decent headphones so far, the Q701!  Love these so far.  I'm waiting on an Objective2 in the mail to power them, but the internals of my laptop make them sound great as well.  Perfect for jazz, trippy hip-hop production, and Bioshock.  Currently seeking recommendations for a really creepy ass, atmospheric game to try them out with.  

Half-Life 2 is still a timeless classic, great for testing out headphones. And it has no shortage of creepy ass, atmospheric segments.

post #3192 of 7423

My second headphone is a self modded T50rp. The beauty of modding it myself is that I can keep tweaking until it sounds the way I want it. I haven't measured it, and I wouldn't want to. All I know is that it sounds great to me, and is now actually my reference headphone. Tuned only by trial and error using my own ears.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-MiC View Post

 

Yeah i think that sounds about what i'm looking for as a  "complimentary" headphone, something a little more polite then the Q701. I know my Q701 is a keeper, but for a second main set i'm a little up in the air. It seems to come down to how much are you willing to sacrifice for a deeper bass?

post #3193 of 7423
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb View Post

My second headphone is a self modded T50rp. The beauty of modding it myself is that I can keep tweaking until it sounds the way I want it. I haven't measured it, and I wouldn't want to. All I know is that it sounds great to me, and is now actually my reference headphone. Tuned only by trial and error using my own ears.  

Jasonb,

You are costing me $ again :)

Now that I have the HE500 and like the sound signature.  I am thinking about the T50rp.  If I do, you will get a lot of PMs from me.tongue.gif

post #3194 of 7423
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-MiC View Post

Now that I've added the M-stage, i'm really enjoying my Q's so much i think i'm done with looking for amps currently. I know the m-stage isn't end game, but i'd rather focus on some new phones to see what i like. I love the Q's but i really want a different flavor for general listening, the Q's don't play nice with everything in my library. 


I'm really thinking i'll end up with a pair of HE-400's or maybe HD600's. I'd rather have the HE's but someone is selling the 600's locally for $250 and if i can bargain that price down, it'd be a good value on a new flavor. I'll be able to demo both the 600 and 650 to see if i even like them first, so that's a blessing. I'm looking for something a little smoother, with a more pronounced low-end. Something a little forgiving and fun. I THINK the HE-400's are what i'm looking for but without listening i wont know. If anyone could compare it would be great for me.


Anyways this is all down the road, i just bought a new computer desk, chair, and amp so i'll need to save a bit.

Just my opinion, but I find that my DT880 are a nice compliment to the Qs.
They have a more neutral sound, with fuller, deeper bass.
Don't get me wrong, I still think the Qs sound great, especially for jazz.
post #3195 of 7423

I'll try to help as much as I can. If you have the patience for modding then they really are fun to play with.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post

Jasonb,

You are costing me $ again :)

Now that I have the HE500 and like the sound signature.  I am thinking about the T50rp.  If I do, you will get a lot of PMs from me.tongue.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread