or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Q701 impressions thread - Page 202

post #3016 of 9490

This is now my favorite headphones :)

post #3017 of 9490

I live in Florida, and I was in need of a protective case or bag for my Q701. I took forever to find something that was actually big enough. I finally found it and they fit perfectly.

 

http://www.amazon.com/GoodCans-Protective-Headphone-Sided-Pouch/dp/B007VGMAQI/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1368564791&sr=1-2&keywords=headphone+bag

post #3018 of 9490

I have a lot of people who tell me that I need a bassy headphone for electronic music, and I still don't get this. Electronic music, especially dubstep, is driven by treble, not bass. You still hear the detail of the kick without the bass, but you lack the power of the instruments without the treble.
 

post #3019 of 9490

I listen to electronic with the Q701 but I boost up the sub-bass frequencies by 4 - 5db using an equalizer. It provides an overall weightier sound that, in my opinion, does improve the listening experience with electronic. I'm no basshead but it's no secret that the 701 is a little lean on bass when compared to most other headphones.


Edited by Stalker81598 - 5/15/13 at 10:13am
post #3020 of 9490

My 280s are starting to make a squeaky noise when a bass drum kicks. Its really, really quiet, so I can't hear it unless nothing is happening but the quick drums. Still, I need to hurry up and get these before my current headphones die.
 

Is it acceptable to give your headphones a funeral, though? I may bury them in the back yard in a box. Hopefully a headphone tree grows!


Edited by daleb - 5/14/13 at 10:07pm
post #3021 of 9490
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleb View Post

My 280s are starting to make a squeaky noise when a bass drum kicks. Its really, really quiet, so I can't hear it unless nothing is happening but the quick drums. Still, I need to hurry up and get these before my current headphones die.
 

Is it acceptable to give your headphones a funeral, though? I may bury them in the back yard in a box. Hopefully a headphone tree grows!

 

The headphone tree thing:

No, I don't think it works like.

But try it out and let us know what happens.wink_face.gif

post #3022 of 9490

My Q701 has really spoiled me. I can't really enjoy my Vsonic GR01 (in ears) that much anymore. My modded T50rp in comparison just sounds so stuffy and congested. I think the only other headphone I'd probably enjoy as much or more would be the HD800. I bring my GR01 to work to listen with on my lunch break and they just don't compare to the Q701. The top end on the GR01 just does not sound as crystal clear and of course the soundstage is tiny in comparison. 

post #3023 of 9490
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb View Post

My Q701 has really spoiled me. I can't really enjoy my Vsonic GR01 (in ears) that much anymore. My modded T50rp in comparison just sounds so stuffy and congested. I think the only other headphone I'd probably enjoy as much or more would be the HD800. I bring my GR01 to work to listen with on my lunch break and they just don't compare to the Q701. The top end on the GR01 just does not sound as crystal clear and of course the soundstage is tiny in comparison. 

Have you tried the GR07? The Q701 spoiled me as well so I was having trouble finding a nice IEM for my taste. The GR07 does a great job of filling this need, at least for me. 

post #3024 of 9490

No, but people have called the GR01 a more refined GR07 with a bit less bass. I still like my GR01, but its just that nothing will match the Q701. The big open and detailed sound of the
Q701 is just impossible to match in an IEM or closed can. 

 

I see you have the SRH840, how does that compare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Change is Good View Post

Have you tried the GR07? The Q701 spoiled me as well so I was having trouble finding a nice IEM for my taste. The GR07 does a great job of filling this need, at least for me. 

post #3025 of 9490

I believe I may be getting some Vsonics to accompany these, too. I don't believe I'll have problems appreciating them, though. I'm (compared to most audiophiles) not very picky about the sound quality being overly good. As long as I can enjoy my music, I'll be at least relatively happy. Still able to see the problems, of course. I'm more worried that I won't be able to stand the comfort of them (the IEMs).
 


Edited by daleb - 5/15/13 at 8:39pm
post #3026 of 9490

So this is my humble opinon of my new Q701's. I am running them off a Little Dot 1+ hybrid with an iPod in a Dynex doc. all files ripped to apple lossless. Being a musician for 30 years (Drums & bass) I have to say these headphones sound great, I have only been running them for about 4 days 24 hrs and I can hear a slight change. The upper and low mid range is beautiful with plenty of detail and a very forward presentation. The upper frequencies can be a bit hard with syllabus quite prominent at times but maybe that will change over time. being a bass player (5 string Yamaha) I must say although a tad bass light, the detail is incredible, especially listening to some Pino Palladino work on his fretless. I think its easy to mistake them for not having a lot of bass, I find them very detailed only lacking that "full" sound although I can hear the nuances in the notes, just lacking weight (for my taste)


 

I am running the stock valves so I will be excited to listen when my new Russian Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV Matched Pair arrive in a couple of weeks.

 

 


Edited by Rossy007 - 5/15/13 at 8:28pm
post #3027 of 9490
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb View Post

No, but people have called the GR01 a more refined GR07 with a bit less bass. I still like my GR01, but its just that nothing will match the Q701. The big open and detailed sound of the
Q701 is just impossible to match in an IEM or closed can. 

 

I see you have the SRH840, how does that compare?

 

I was on the fence about buying the GR01 because, like you, I want all my headphones/IEMs to reflect that 701 sound signature. Here is what I was told  when I asked for advice on joker's IEM thread on p.663. He recommended the GR07 instead of the GR01 and also mentioned the Fidelio S1/S2 having a similar sound, as well. Let's just say I was very pleased with my decision.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-281-iems-compared-vsonic-gr07-be-and-r02-silver-added-05-15-13-p-688/9930#post_9341156

 

Now, mind you, I believe it is difficult to find the kind of soundstage of the 701 in a closed headphone or IEM (at least in my budget). Still, I am extremely happy with my SRH840 and GR07 as my alternates to my Q701. I enjoy all of them for what they are and their price point. If you notice my prior headphones, you can see I went through a couple while trying to find that distinct sound signature that I like in each category (open/closed/IEM). I am now satisfied with my current cans and don't plan on switching anytime soon.

 

As for comparing the Q701 and 840, I am sorry my friend. My ears are not trained enough to distinguish specific differences between headphones. All I can say is it is a pretty neutral closed headphone (my kind of sound) and I absolutely love it. The soundstage doesn't compare to the 701 but it is far from terrible. If I can compare the sound of the 840 to another can it would be the M50 with slightly less bass and a slightly larger soundstage.

 

I hope this helps

post #3028 of 9490
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleb View Post

I believe I may be getting some Vsonics to accompany these, too. I don't believe I'll have problems appreciating them, though. I'm (compared to most audiophiles) not very picky about the sound quality being overly good. As long as I can enjoy my music, I'll be at least relatively happy. Still able to see the problems, of course. I'm more worried that I won't be able to stand the comfort of them (the IEMs).
 

 

You should be very pleased with this choice, as I was... biggrin.gif

post #3029 of 9490

More specifically, I am getting the VC02s. I think they shall fit my needs very well.
 

post #3030 of 9490

Actually, I'm not getting the IEMs anymore. I'm getting the HA-S500s, A bass-leaning can for portability. I think these 2 will compliment each other way better.
 

Edit: Oh no, I just called it a can... oh no.. I'm being converted into an audiophile ;_;


Edited by daleb - 5/17/13 at 5:01pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread