Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Q701 impressions thread - Page 165

post #2461 of 7719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodhifi View Post

I think most in this thread would agree that the DT880 is a superior headphone to the K701 in terms of clarity, transparency, and soaring highs. I don't have a K701 to compare against .......

 

Actually I'd totally disagree with this statement.  I have the K701 and DT880 - and for clarity and transparency I'd say they were both very similar.  If anything - the edge on clarity would go marginally to the K701 - but that may be more to do with the lower bass quantity.

post #2462 of 7719

if u would compare q701 against hd600

which one has less clamp pressure? and has more comfort around the ears in cupsize (wide and depth)

 

does somebody here wear this headphone with glassen on?

IF yes, is the cupsize big enough that it wont touch your ears and

glassen on the back of your ear?
 

post #2463 of 7719
Quote:
Originally Posted by jontornblom View Post

I just got my q701s in the mail yesterday. I noticed they were too sibilant when I demoed them. Its a little off putting, but for me it is a win win. I bought them as a second reference for mastering since they resembled the sound signature of my paradigm studio reference 80s startlingly well. They too, have a tendency to be a bit spitty/overly sibilant. I WANT that. Why? here's the key: not on all recordings. If I dial my top end so it juuuust sits under that sharp sound of the studio 80s tweeter, and I assume with my q701s, I know I have a perfect reference for my 7-8kHz range. An extremely crucial range, IMO.

I say win/win because if breaking them in mellows them a bit, well, that's good too. wink.gif

But I am curious...does a break in period chill out the treble spike, in anyone's experience? Should I be blasting pink noise for a week before I start getting used to them?

 

IMHO..............break-in does nothing to the Q701 sound.

post #2464 of 7719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensen View Post


Another question: How much do you amplify them? I run them at the hottest level of the M-Stage at +20db gain and at 9-10 o'clock they have a good volume, It is surprising me that I have to turn the knob that "far" because of the relatively low impedance of the cans.

 

Thanks for any answers!

Cheers, Ben
 

 

After much playing about with gain settings I have left the gain at 10 dB for my Q701.

 

Volume control is at approx. 10-11-12 o'clock

post #2465 of 7719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post

 

?

 

Maybe more mid-bass on the Q's (marginal) and slightly more in the lower mid section - but not more sub-bass.   Graphs say same .....

 

 

 

Curious about your choice of words too.  You state the Q701 has more bass than the DT880 - then in the next sentence you say you are excited to audition a DT880?  Curious - because if you haven't heard the DT880 yet - how can you make that statement .... ?

 

Just my opinion here.........

My 600 Ohm DT880s definitely have more bass than my Q701.

My Q701s definitely sound brighter, thinner and lighter than my DT880s.

 

But I like them both, different 'phones for different recordings and moods.

post #2466 of 7719

i can buy a q701

it has a signature of : Q701BLK

 

i quess it stands for ''black'' right?

 

 

is it also possible to bent the q701 slightly to get less clamp pressure ?


Edited by Nion - 2/5/13 at 3:51pm
post #2467 of 7719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nion View Post

i can buy a q701

it has a signature of : Q701BLK

 

i quess it stands for ''black'' right?

 

 

is it also possible to bent the q701 slightly to get less clamp pressure ?

Yes it's black.

The Q701s do not have a lot of clamp pressure, you should be OK without having to bend the headphones! wink_face.gif

post #2468 of 7719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post

Yes it's black.

The Q701s do not have a lot of clamp pressure, you should be OK without having to bend the headphones! wink_face.gif

 



ok but i wear glasses so maybe i need too bent it if it pushes my ear against my glasses. I had the dt880 before and i read

everywhere is was also a comfort phone, but not for me. So i need to be sure. It is possible to bent it

without braking it ? And i know from pictures the cupsize is very big, but has it also more depth than the dt880? (coz

my right ear was always touching the driver side causing aitchy feeling)

post #2469 of 7719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nion View Post

 



ok but i wear glasses so maybe i need too bent it if it pushes my ear against my glasses. I had the dt880 before and i read

everywhere is was also a comfort phone, but not for me. So i need to be sure. It is possible to bent it

without braking it ? And i know from pictures the cupsize is very big, but has it also more depth than the dt880? (coz

my right ear was always touching the driver side causing aitchy feeling)

 

I wear glasses too.

The Q701 is very flexible and bends quite easily when you put it on your head.

Not much clamping pressure and doesn't interfere with my glasses.

post #2470 of 7719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post

 

I wear glasses too.

The Q701 is very flexible and bends quite easily when you put it on your head.

Not much clamping pressure and doesn't interfere with my glasses.

 

I second this. I wear my Q701s with glasses as well. I can sometimes forget they're even on my head. The clamp force is certainly less than some other big names out there like Sennheiser and Ultrasone. I feel the clamp on these is exactly how I want.

post #2471 of 7719
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Bones View Post

 

The Q701's have more bass than the DT880's? I was under the impression that they were heavier than the Q's, the 770's even heavier than the 880's as well?

 

Without applying any EQ, the Q701 emphasizes the bass more than my 880's do. They both have great extension down to 18hz but the 701's are a little more pronounced in their delivery. I wouldn't say either are very bass heavy, just a light edge in love of bass with the 701's.

 

The 770's are much more bass heavy than the 880's from what I've heard but I haven't listened to them myself. That is probably a result of their being closed backed where as the 880's are semi open. But who knows, the 701 is fully open and it sounds bassier than the semi open 880.

 

Both headphones need a little EQ to make the best use of their bass for me. I would mostly do this with games, and loud rock and electronic music. For classical music and jazz they sound great with zero EQ.

 

To give you an idea of where I'm coming from, the Sony MDR-V6 has the perfect amount of bass for me, and it runs about +10db from 100hz down to 30. In fact when I EQ the V6 I usually cut 120 by 3db and boost 16000 by 4 to clean up their midrange and add a little sparkle back in it's veiled highs.


Edited by Kodhifi - 2/5/13 at 9:37pm
post #2472 of 7719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post

 

?

 

Maybe more mid-bass on the Q's (marginal) and slightly more in the lower mid section - but not more sub-bass.   Graphs say same .....

 

 

 

Curious about your choice of words too.  You state the Q701 has more bass than the DT880 - then in the next sentence you say you are excited to audition a DT880?  Curious - because if you haven't heard the DT880 yet - how can you make that statement .... ?

Ahh you're comparing the 600ohm version of the 880. I have the 250ohm version, it has less bass than the 600ohm version.

post #2473 of 7719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post

?

Maybe more mid-bass on the Q's (marginal) and slightly more in the lower mid section - but not more sub-bass.   Graphs say same .....

Curious about your choice of words too.  You state the Q701 has more bass than the DT880 - then in the next sentence you say you are excited to audition a DT880?  Curious - because if you haven't heard the DT880 yet - how can you make that statement .... ?
Ah, yes, I haven't heard the DT880 yet, I based my statement off that 25 headphone review round-up that was recently posted on Head-Fi's first page. I have heard the different Ohm versions have different signatures (though I read the DT990s have only very slight differences between the ohm versions), and didn't think about whether you were talking about the same version as reviewed in the 25 headphone round-up. Also, the broad majority of my music rarely dips into the sub-bass region, so I honestly wasn't counting that range, nor writing a full review of the headphone sight-unseen.

I'm not in the business of reviewing most headphones that come out, so I have to make assumptions based on the reviews of others. I fully reserve the right to change my assumptions as I learn more wink.gif No offense intended against your headphone or anything, and I think most people would realize I was making an assumption as I hadn't heard the DTs yet.
smily_headphones1.gif
Edited by Evshrug - 2/5/13 at 10:50pm
post #2474 of 7719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post


Ah, yes, I haven't heard the DT880 yet, I based my statement off that 25 headphone review round-up that was recently posted on Head-Fi's first page. I have heard the different Ohm versions have different signatures (though I read the DT990s have only very slight differences between the ohm versions), and didn't think about whether you were talking about the same version as reviewed in the 25 headphone round-up. Also, the broad majority of my music rarely dips into the sub-bass region, so I honestly wasn't counting that range, nor writing a full review of the headphone sight-unseen.

I'm not in the business of reviewing most headphones that come out, so I have to make assumptions based on the reviews of others. I fully reserve the right to change my assumptions as I learn more wink.gif No offense intended against your headphone or anything, and I think most people would realize I was making an assumption as I hadn't heard the DTs yet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Never any offence taken.  Will be interesting to see your impression once you can side-by-side both.  I like both - but personally feel that the quality of the bass is slightly better on the DT880s.  Quantity is pretty even - although the mid-bass on the Q's can sometimes give the impression of 'more'.  I guess it really will depend on what you're listening to.

post #2475 of 7719
so the q701 has a boosted bass compared with the k702? That makes the k702 more natural ? Which of the k serie is the most realistic one, most natural flat one q701 or k702 or k701 when i hit the search button i see so many different opinions. I dont know which one is the truth i want the most natual sounding of these three or is the hd 600 even more natual sounding?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread