Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Q701 impressions thread - Page 134

post #1996 of 7693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post

 

I think it's fantastic that they include two lengths of cables...I have a 20' extension cable here, but it's a cheapo....the AKG one is much better.  I love my T1s for movies, but I dont' like dragging them with me when I come over to spend the night at my lady friends place...so these are great...I just leave them there and they're ready for me when I listen to movies at night so I don't disturb her. I can't see paying $400 for these, but at the current price of $235 they're a very solid buy

 

What kind of HT gear do you have in the basement? biggrin.gif

 

Here on Q701 Thread .


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post

 

I don't know how similar or different my Q701s are to your AKGs, but honestly, this is one of the most disappointing headphones ever. If I had picked these up back when the price was closer to full retail, I would have sent them back for sure. I'm keeping them mainly for movies since they are comfortable, and since I only paid a little over two bills for them, but I'm really amazed when I hear someone say they like their AKGs better than the T1s. In my opinion, the T1s are in a completely different league.

 

 

Very different story on T1 Thread .

 

rolleyes.gif

 

The Q701 Fan's should mark him as traitor and burn him on public place . 

 

(Just joking with you Focker biggrin.gif)


Edited by HaVoC-28 - 11/10/12 at 12:36pm
post #1997 of 7693

Focker is ok. At $1350 the T1s better be in a different league. Until I get something like that I am enjoying my Q701s, just like F. k701smile.gif

post #1998 of 7693

Thought I would start my time here in the proper thread biggrin.gif. Have been a long time lurker but finally jumped into the madness. Still waiting on the Schiit LYR to test them out but had to snap a couple shots in the meantime.

 

Setup will be Essence ST -> Emotiva S/PDIF -> Emotiva XDA-1 -> PYST Cables -> Schiit LYR -> Q701

 

Hope you guys like...

 

xda1q701_2.jpg

xda1q701.jpg

post #1999 of 7693
Quote:
Originally Posted by deftronix View Post

Hope you guys like...

 

 

Nice photos!  Do you have an aftermarket cable?

post #2000 of 7693

Thanks for the pics. I wonder if the Anniversary pads can be purchased separately. The memory foam would be a nice option for the Q701.

post #2001 of 7693

Damn, I love these. I am really really enjoying this Q701 + E17 combination. My music has never sounded so good. Such speed and clarity. L3000.gif

post #2002 of 7693

hi guys, finally come out after diving deep in the forum for a while. i have using my q701 + yulong D100 MK2 for several weeks and am really impressed by this combination.
 

before D100 arrived, i tried q701 directly connecting to my PC and it sounds like some craps with untolerable sibilance. but after using the amp, it is a totally different story.

 

this baby is so transparent and clear. sound stage is wide and open with clear instrument separation. however, i think it is a little bit unrealistic with only left and right image while lacking front image. i think q701 has accurate and full scale bass. But it is not powerful to have some "boom" effect. so when i am in some "rock and roll" mood with q701, i am disappointed.

 

i plan to get an amp see if i can further extend my q701 potential. anyway, i think q701 is not that hard to drive like some said, what really need  is a good DAC.

.

post #2003 of 7693

I'm not sure exactly what bands or style of music you listen to, but I listen to progressive rock and prog metal on mine 90% of the time and with a very slight bass boost they are great with these genres. I use the +2db bass boost setting on my E17 and it adds just the perfect warmth and perfect amount of punch to the bass. The speed and clarity for this type of music is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by incrediblejian View Post

hi guys, finally come out after diving deep in the forum for a while. i have using my q701 + yulong D100 MK2 for several weeks and am really impressed by this combination.
 

before D100 arrived, i tried q701 directly connecting to my PC and it sounds like some craps with untolerable sibilance. but after using the amp, it is a totally different story.

 

this baby is so transparent and clear. sound stage is wide and open with clear instrument separation. however, i think it is a little bit unrealistic with only left and right image while lacking front image. i think q701 has accurate and full scale bass. But it is not powerful to have some "boom" effect. so when i am in some "rock and roll" mood with q701, i am disappointed.

 

i plan to get an amp see if i can further extend my q701 potential. anyway, i think q701 is not that hard to drive like some said, what really need  is a good DAC.

.

post #2004 of 7693

i like night wish and within temptation. i think their music can be described as symphonic metal. in my set, the vocal part is awesome and airy, but i just can not feel the ”power“ that blow my  head. it is just too bright and sometime grainy. maybe i should try some warm amps. or Q701 is just not that style. perhaps HE500 will be a candidate.

post #2005 of 7693

Within Temptation is one of my favorite bands. I don't think I have tried them on my Q701 yet though. They are definitely symphonic metal, you are right on there. I'd imagine it would sound good on my setup, E17 with +2db bass boost. 

 

If you are listening through your computer you can always try some EQ to make them warmer and bassier. All the good music players will have at least a basic EQ. 

 

Of course the Q701 may just not have enough ooomph for you. I think with my setup they have plenty of warmth and bass. I do not desire anymore bass. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by incrediblejian View Post

i like night wish and within temptation. i think their music can be described as symphonic metal. in my set, the vocal part is awesome and airy, but i just can not feel the ”power“ that blow my  head. it is just too bright and sometime grainy. maybe i should try some warm amps. or Q701 is just not that style. perhaps HE500 will be a candidate.

post #2006 of 7693

software EQ is the least thing i would like to use. it is almost equivalent to say "distort all". and q701 is also quite unforgivable. it only makes things even worse. maybe a hardware EQ is a different story. actually i am quite curious how good the little E17 can be. maybe i should find one and try it.

post #2007 of 7693
Quote:
Originally Posted by incrediblejian View Post

software EQ is the least thing i would like to use. it is almost equivalent to say "distort all". and q701 is also quite unforgivable. it only makes things even worse. maybe a hardware EQ is a different story. actually i am quite curious how good the little E17 can be. maybe i should find one and try it.

 

Yes - definitely try it. The only time I experienced distortion was from clipping when setting volumes to the max. Notebook (90%) -> E17 DAC with bass boost sounds quite amazing imo.

post #2008 of 7693
Quote:
Originally Posted by incrediblejian View Post

software EQ is the least thing i would like to use. it is almost equivalent to say "distort all". and q701 is also quite unforgivable. it only makes things even worse. maybe a hardware EQ is a different story. actually i am quite curious how good the little E17 can be. maybe i should find one and try it.

Thats why you should boost the bass by having the bass bands at +0dB and the rest of the bands at -2dB, so stuff doesn't clip :)

post #2009 of 7693

I have been heavily considering this can, but the whole "no proper central imaging" thing has me weary. What do you guys think?

post #2010 of 7693
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanamaHat View Post

I have been heavily considering this can, but the whole "no proper central imaging" thing has me weary. What do you guys think?

 

If you've noticed, that's just a ridiculous claim by one person that doesn't like them. How many others say this? Any? Probably zero. If they had no proper center image, nobody would like them! To me that would be more like a manufacturing defect!

I actually think this is done better than even the HD-600 and 598. The thing also about the Q701 is that it's true to the recording and vocals will NOT sound forward or in your face if it's not that way in the recording.

Got a song with vocals that are cave-like? Well, the Q701 is not doing to fix that.

 

I think long ago I had this idea that a dac/amp couldn't possibly improve imaging, but with the ODAC I might think otherwise.

 

Now I do think the K702 has some issues with it's soundstage and imaging, but then again I no longer have the K702. Best thing I can see is that it's soundstage didn't quite seem as accurate.

Some don't think there is much difference between the two, but I do. The Q701's soundstage does feel a tiny bit more closed in and accurate. Still large when the recording calls for it.

 

I do have this crazy believe that the angled pads on the Q701 play a role in it's imagine. I know this sounds weird. I know it's all in my head. I only got this idea when I used my FLAT K601 pads on the Q701!

Maybe this is why the K601 has better imaging than the Q701? Not that much better. It sure was smart of AKG to give the 65th anniversary edition non-angled pads. The angled pads also reduce comfort slightly.

Unless you have the K501 or K601 you can't really notice this.

 

BTW I think the HD-650's imaging and soundstaging (not size) might be some serious competition to the K601/Q701. Just got an HD-650. I'll know more soon. But what does it matter? The Q701 and K601 are never going anywhere.

I guess that's a sign of a good headphone. Many people rave about a headphone and then it's gone in a few months. I sometimes do this a lot too.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread