Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Q701 impressions thread - Page 121

post #1801 of 8267

ABOUT ASGARD

How does Asgard compare to (insert competitive product name here?)
It probably sounds better.

No, really, how does Asgard compare to (competitive product?)
Okay, we’ll stop being flip. If it’s around the same price point, Asgard probably sounds better.

Now you’re pissing me off!
Do you really think we’re going to tell you it sounds worse? Or that we’ve listened to every headphone amp on the market? We’ve listened to a lot of them, and Asgard is a credible competitor even to products that cost much more. However, we do not comment specifically on any head-to-head comparisons. That’s for reviewers.

But hey, it’s a really cheap amp, how can it be any good?
If you take a look at the parts we use—Alps RK27 pot, custom transformer, over 20,000uF of filter capacitance, low-noise 2SK170 JFETs—you may start asking, “Why the hell are the other guys so pricey?” We even have a 20-second slow start relay with fast shut-off, so you don’t have to plug and unplug your headphones when you turn it on and off.

What headphones does Asgard work particularly well with?
Grado. Sennheiser. Denon. All amazing. And yes, Asgard is perfectly fine with the high-impedance Sennheisers.

You know, Asgard runs really hot?
You know, Asgard’s chassis is its heat-sink, and that it is a Class-A amplifier? Yep, it runs hot.

Like, very hot?
Like, very hot. It’s OK. We’re well within the limits of the output devices. Remember, there’s a 5-year warranty on our products. We have to be damn certain they’ll survive.

You said “damn.”
And our name is Schitt. So sue us.

post #1802 of 8267

Is it me or does it seem funny that they didnt put AKG as headphone that the asgard work well with since that Q702 incident ?

post #1803 of 8267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodiuh View Post

Has anyone ever had to order replacement ear pads from AKG? I need the twisty part too.

Would this Ebay offering work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/AKG-K-701-K-702-Q-701-OEM-replacement-ear-pad-K702-cushion-2458M12020-/320967409309#vi-content is that what you mean by twisty part ? I thought it was a whole unit  pad and plastic piece that twisted in

post #1804 of 8267
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxDobermanxX View Post

Is it me or does it seem funny that they didnt put AKG as headphone that the asgard work well with since that Q702 incident ?

 

 

It's you.  The reason they added the relays was to fix those issues.  Why are you dragging this up again?  From what I see Schitt stands behind their products and they seem to have pretty good service standards.

post #1805 of 8267
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrwatch View Post

Would this Ebay offering work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/AKG-K-701-K-702-Q-701-OEM-replacement-ear-pad-K702-cushion-2458M12020-/320967409309#vi-content is that what you mean by twisty part ? I thought it was a whole unit  pad and plastic piece that twisted in

 

That twisty ring comes built into all pads BTW. I sure wish the Q701 sounded better with K601 pads. It's amazing how if you don't add angled pads the Q701 is much more fatiguing.

 

I think the Q701 pads may be slightly harder and less soft than the K601 pads.

 

BTW if you guys ever need a portable Q701, just get the KRK KNS-8400 and replace the internal felt dampening with Bounty. I'm going to be doing a comparison soon I think.

 

Stock my 8400 has less bass than the Q701. Maybe more sub-bass or some sort of upper bass hump.

 

Q701 and KRK KNS-8400 get my votes for the best gaming headphone biggrin.gif Especially with Skyrim.

post #1806 of 8267

Wow I had over 500 hours in Skyrim, wish I owned the Q701 then. I'm playing Borderlands 2 now so I need to be able to play co-op on my PS3 , the 701 wont be an option.

post #1807 of 8267
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrwatch View Post

Wow I had over 500 hours in Skyrim, wish I owned the Q701 then. I'm playing Borderlands 2 now so I need to be able to play co-op on my PS3 , the 701 wont be an option.

I played 370 hours of obivion (xbox360) on a passable 17" CRT tv with composite cables and onboard sound. I couldn't even make out the icons.

post #1808 of 8267

I need to grab a pair of these soon, to report back. Im looking for a good price, but its hard here in toronto. I've only seen green ones for a good price here, but im no ninja turtle.
 

post #1809 of 8267
Quote:
Originally Posted by msz87 View Post

I need to grab a pair of these soon, to report back. Im looking for a good price, but its hard here in toronto. I've only seen green ones for a good price here, but im no ninja turtle.
 

if you dont mind buying used check out canuck audio, you can snag a pretty cheap pair of q's there

post #1810 of 8267
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscythe View Post

if you dont mind buying used check out canuck audio, you can snag a pretty cheap pair of q's there

 

do you mean the user for sale postings? I actually have an ad there "wanting" Q701's White or Black :D

 

or am i missing some other section ? ^_^

post #1811 of 8267

It sucks every store here sells them for 399.99. i KNOW they're not worth that much, they go for almost half that in other places around the world. Canadian premium *rolls eyes*

post #1812 of 8267
Quote:
Originally Posted by msz87 View Post

I need to grab a pair of these soon, to report back. Im looking for a good price, but its hard here in toronto. I've only seen green ones for a good price here, but im no ninja turtle.
 

I love my neon green pair they go so well with the green stitching and cables !  Green  was cheaper  on Amazon and at first I figured  I don't wear them anywhere but home so who cares. Now I actually love em now and I've noticed that there are some sellers that charge a premium for the green ones  in Europe. In a few years when these are not being made its the Green ones that will be remembered and be the "collector" color most desired.

post #1813 of 8267
Quote:
Originally Posted by msz87 View Post

 

do you mean the user for sale postings? I actually have an ad there "wanting" Q701's White or Black :D

 

or am i missing some other section ? ^_^

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649018632-akg_q701_black_and_dr_dre_beats_studio/

 

this right here lol

post #1814 of 8267
post #1815 of 8267

can we just buy the leather headband...?

wink_face.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread