Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Q701 impressions thread - Page 117

post #1741 of 7697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisenhower View Post

 

I should start a new thread, despite the topic being beaten to death? You really just don't want me to post any more, I think.

FYI 99.999% of the topics in audio have been beaten to death. Of all the topics discussed to death, concern over silent headphone changes is not one I've encountered often.

Sorry if I was getting in the way of the highly constructive discussion about how much everyone appreciates their headphones.

 

Just a reminder: you called me out.

 

Frankly, I'm just wondering why you are so hell bent for leather to convince us that ALL K701s sound the same as ALL K702s sound the same as ALL Q701s despite too much anecdotal evidence to the contrary that SOME do sound different?

 

I'm sick of talking about it, I'm out.frown.gif

post #1742 of 7697

Eisenhower:

Until there's definitive evidence that the 'Q' and the 'k' are identical, there's nothing to discuss other than people's subjective impressions. Until someone sets up a dbt or has evidence to prove they are identical sounding there's only subjective impressions. Not sure what would be proof that they're the same other than a dbt. I don't think we can take the manufacturer's word for it for the reasons already discussed. Graphs probably have too much margin of error to prove anything one way or the other.

post #1743 of 7697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisenhower View Post

Of all the topics discussed to death, concern over silent headphone changes is not one I've encountered often.

 

 

You could make a new thread on silent updates to different headphone lines.  That would be good.  But there's not much else to say about it in THIS thread. 

 

Yes, AKG has most likely updated the x70x line.  Yes, there is probably variation between different models from different time periods. 

 

Companies do this.  Current Samsung LCD TVs don't have enough panel supplies, so they outsource to 4 different panel manufacturers (several of them chinese made with inferior picture) to fill in the rest of the supply.  You have a 1/4 chance of actually getting a Samsung screen when you buy a Samsung TV.  Some reviewers may get a Samsung screen and review the TV highly, where other reviewers may get one with a Chei Mei Chinese panel and give it a mediocre review.    What's the point of reading reviews of these TV's when there are 4 different panels in circulation and you have no idea which one you'll end up with anyways.  At least headphones aren't this bad.

 

 

BTW, when you say:

Quote:
"...My issue with incorrectly calling the Q701s different sounding than the K702s is that people might be convinced to go out and purchase a pair of Q701s based on your assertions when they already own a pair of K702s. You have wasted their money by doing this..."

 

  ^  this was EXACTLY the reason I went out of my way to go buy a K702 and compare it to the Q701 I already owned.  I didn't want to be blindly recommending the Q701 as being different than the K702 not having heard both of them. The pair I tested was clearly different.  I don't know what else I can say other than what I already said in my comparison thread and numerous times on this and other threads. 

 

I don't think any of us have the funds to a-b-c-d-e... compare multiple AKG headhphones together.  Some of us (like me) have compared two models together and heard a difference. Some of us haven't.

 

 

I mean really - without someone rounding up a bunch of various AKG's and running tests, what more is there to say?  This isn't something that's going to be solved on this thread. 


Edited by chicolom - 9/18/12 at 6:42pm
post #1744 of 7697
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicolom View Post

 

  ^  this was EXACTLY the reason I went out of my way to go buy a K702 and compare it to the Q701 I already owned.  I didn't want to be blindly recommending the Q701 as being different than the K702 not having heard both of them. The pair I tested was clearly different.  I don't know what else I can say other than what I already said in my comparison thread and numerous times on this and other threads. 

 

 

No, no, no!

 

It was all placebo and expectation bias........(chuckle, chuckle, chuckle)! very_evil_smiley.gif

post #1745 of 7697

I just realised my earpads were put on the wrong way, maybe that explains why the previous owners wanted to sell them? xD

post #1746 of 7697

Hey all...i'm a Beyerdynamic/Grado guy, but I have a pair of Q701s arriving tomorrow...Im in the market for an uber-comfortable headphone with a nice sized sound stage primarily for movie use. I have other headphones that I prefer for music and critical listening, so if these fit the bill in terms of comfort and sound stage I'll be pretty happy. If not, then I'll ship their sorry green arse back to Amazon. 

 

So who is using these for movies? 

post #1747 of 7697

tbh, the comfort level of these doesn't reach sennheisers comfort level (the two headphones i've used mostly)

post #1748 of 7697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misios View Post

tbh, the comfort level of these doesn't reach sennheisers comfort level (the two headphones i've used mostly)

 

There are a lot of Sennheisers, my friend....which ones are you referring to

post #1749 of 7697

Hd 598/360 g4me! (sorry I was half asleep when I wrote that!)

post #1750 of 7697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misios View Post

Hd 598/360 g4me! (sorry I was half asleep when I wrote that!)

 

I think the sennheiser are more comfortable if you use them under and hour, but after that I start appreciating the roomier AKG cups more.  You've got more play in shifting the pads around to different spots while the sennheisers only shift a little bit.

 

Of course, the Sennheiser headband is more comfy then the stock AKG one, no doubt.

post #1751 of 7697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post

Hey all...i'm a Beyerdynamic/Grado guy, but I have a pair of Q701s arriving tomorrow...Im in the market for an uber-comfortable headphone with a nice sized sound stage primarily for movie use. I have other headphones that I prefer for music and critical listening, so if these fit the bill in terms of comfort and sound stage I'll be pretty happy. If not, then I'll ship their sorry green arse back to Amazon. 

 

So who is using these for movies? 

 

 

I do, but for movies, I prioritize the lows and mids (for dialogue). Software that allows you to tweaks levels and virtual surround settings is necessary for the cinema experience imo. For that reason, most mid to high end phones should be fine for movies. Comfort is also another factor. Closed cans can get too warm (although that could be a benefit during the winter months).  However, the Q701 coupled with Virtual Surround is quite freaky.. I have great difficulty distinguishing sounds from the movie and outdoors.

post #1752 of 7697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post

Hey all...i'm a Beyerdynamic/Grado guy, but I have a pair of Q701s arriving tomorrow...Im in the market for an uber-comfortable headphone with a nice sized sound stage primarily for movie use. I have other headphones that I prefer for music and critical listening, so if these fit the bill in terms of comfort and sound stage I'll be pretty happy. If not, then I'll ship their sorry green arse back to Amazon. 

 

So who is using these for movies? 

OMG!

A Beyer Grado guy!

What are you doing here?

Arrgghhhh!blink.gif

post #1753 of 7697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post

OMG!

A Beyer Grado guy!

What are you doing here?

Arrgghhhh!blink.gif

 

I came to corrupt everyone!

post #1754 of 7697
Quote:
Originally Posted by talisman42 View Post

 

 

I do, but for movies, I prioritize the lows and mids (for dialogue). Software that allows you to tweaks levels and virtual surround settings is necessary for the cinema experience imo. For that reason, most mid to high end phones should be fine for movies. Comfort is also another factor. Closed cans can get too warm (although that could be a benefit during the winter months).  However, the Q701 coupled with Virtual Surround is quite freaky.. I have great difficulty distinguishing sounds from the movie and outdoors.

 

Okay that works...I have a little virtual surround/amp that I use for movies that I was planning to use with the 701s anyway, so Im glad you mentioned that.

post #1755 of 7697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post

I came to corrupt everyone!

 

I've got my eye on you Focker.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 impressions thread