Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 appreciation thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Q701 appreciation thread - Page 319

post #4771 of 7318
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYabbz View Post
 

I'm interested in getting these cans and wondering if it is the best time to buy them or this is their new street price @ $220? They are going for around $220 on Amazon and the cheapest I have seen them else where was around $300 in Bestbuy. I will be pairing them up with a Fiio E17 in the mean time, until I get a proper home amp/dac combo as I need something more portable for the time being. I also read that these cans are made in China now and wondering if there are any negative cons compared to the made in Austria cans. 

Watch on here and buy a used pair!  Cheaper and probably not made in China either.  Look in the for sales section and save some $

post #4772 of 7318
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post
 

Watch on here and buy a used pair!  Cheaper and probably not made in China either.  Look in the for sales section and save some $

 

Thanks but I'm only interested in getting a new pair. Is the $220 price the new street price or is it just a temporary sale price? Any ideas to get them for cheaper on a different site?

 

Again any difference between the Chinese and Austrian version?

post #4773 of 7318
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYabbz View Post
 

 

Thanks but I'm only interested in getting a new pair. Is the $220 price the new street price or is it just a temporary sale price? Any ideas to get them for cheaper on a different site?

 

Again any difference between the Chinese and Austrian version?

 

Waiting for the answer to this myself..

post #4774 of 7318

Ouch not too happy that these will be made in China. Regardless of the price, I think the low price betrays how good the cans really are. I'm of the opinion these these are still very high-end even when compared to the new stuff.

post #4775 of 7318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Himself View Post

Ouch not too happy that these will be made in China. Regardless of the price, I think the low price betrays how good the cans really are. I'm of the opinion these these are still very high-end even when compared to the new stuff.
My estimation is the quality build will dramatically decrease, and will be a filmsy headphone,although driver might be the same
post #4776 of 7318

FWIW, my cans lack the Made In Austria (MIA) label, yet I've taken apart the grills to mod, un-mod, re-mod, etc., at least six times, as well as a headband mod, and switching pads a few times.  I've never noticed any degradation in the sound.  I also never had any poorly assembled part break on me.  YMMV, of course, and I can't compare them to the MIA version.  As was discussed here a while back, it's all about quality control.  If AKG cares, they will have implemented pretty strict quality control measures on the assembly line.  Did they?  Who can say.

 

For the USD $234 I paid for them, I'm quite satisfied.  If the MIA label matters, hopefully you can find a used pair (I know you said you wanted new), or can see them in a shop to confirm the label.

 

Good luck!

post #4777 of 7318
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYabbz View Post
 

I'm interested in getting these cans and wondering if it is the best time to buy them or this is their new street price @ $220? They are going for around $220 on Amazon and the cheapest I have seen them else where was around $300 in Bestbuy. I will be pairing them up with a Fiio E17 in the mean time, until I get a proper home amp/dac combo as I need something more portable for the time being. I also read that these cans are made in China now and wondering if there are any negative cons compared to the made in Austria cans. 

Best Buy might do a price match if you show them the Amazon advertised price. 

post #4778 of 7318

I've just bought some brand new K701's again from Amazon and they are still made in Austria. 

 

Incidentally, I've now bought 3 K701's over the last couple of years. Two were from the latest batch and one was from 2011. The sound of the 2011 one was completely different from the newer ones. Nothing subtle either, the older one had wider soundstage with less bass and sharper treble. I had to really EQ it. The newer ones don't need eq-uing unless you want to add a notch down at 2k. The bass on my new ones is perfect for me. A smaller but much more cohesive soundstage. I'm guessing that they are pretty much the Q701's in sound.  

post #4779 of 7318
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post
 

FWIW, my cans lack the Made In Austria (MIA) label, yet I've taken apart the grills to mod, un-mod, re-mod, etc., at least six times, as well as a headband mod, and switching pads a few times.  I've never noticed any degradation in the sound.  I also never had any poorly assembled part break on me.  YMMV, of course, and I can't compare them to the MIA version.  As was discussed here a while back, it's all about quality control.  If AKG cares, they will have implemented pretty strict quality control measures on the assembly line.  Did they?  Who can say.

 

For the USD $234 I paid for them, I'm quite satisfied.  If the MIA label matters, hopefully you can find a used pair (I know you said you wanted new), or can see them in a shop to confirm the label.

 

Good luck!

 

Thanks appreciate it. The made in Austria label does not matter at all to me. I was just caught a little off guard at the latest review of the Q701 on Amazon where the reviewer bashed the headphones because of the label. I was just concern if the quality went down but with your input, it looks like AKG's QC is still apparent on these headphones.

 

Any thoughts on the bang for your buck? I see that these cans compete in the mid-fi category and wondering if they are great for the price. They seem to be a great buy @ their current price on Amazon.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonb View Post
 

Best Buy might do a price match if you show them the Amazon advertised price. 

 

Thanks. I already know about Bestbuy's price match policy. I rather go the Musician's Friend Route as they price match plus offer an extra 10% off the price match with no sales tax in my state.


Edited by JYabbz - 11/23/13 at 9:51am
post #4780 of 7318
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobandroid View Post


My estimation is the quality build will dramatically decrease, and will be a filmsy headphone,although driver might be the same

that a very wrong, out-dated and narrow look, China is not the same country anymore.  Their production/quality capability is top notch now but just like any other countries, there are factories/manufacturers that will put out inferiors/bad products for certain price points.  Made in USA or Austria is not always = top quality, even though the chance could be higher.  If iPhone, iPad are made in China to Apple quality in the millions, a pair of HPs is quite simple.  Design aside, the HE500 on my head right now is made in China and built like a tank.  It will be all up to AKG to set the expected standard and quality control the products.  So try to open your horizon and step into the reality of the new century.  

If you happen to have an android phone as indicated in your name, it's probably made in China too.  ;)

post #4781 of 7318
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYabbz View Post
 

 

The made in Austria label does not matter at all to me. I was just caught a little off guard at the latest review of the Q701 on Amazon where the reviewer bashed the headphones because of the label. I was just concern if the quality went down but with your input, it looks like AKG's QC is still apparent on these headphones.

 

In fact, there is apparently more quality problems on the current "made in Austria" K712 than in the new batch of "made in China" Q701. Just read around in the forums and you'll be surprised.

 

It will be fix with time like for every new product in market, but it is just an example of how wrong are some prejudices.


Edited by Ashade - 11/23/13 at 10:30am
post #4782 of 7318
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYabbz View Post

 

Any thoughts on the bang for your buck? I see that these cans compete in the mid-fi category and wondering if they are great for the price. They seem to be a great buy @ their current price on Amazon.

 

I can echo what lots of people have said recently: great bang for the buck.  I mean, if a modded Q701 is putting people off the HD-800, primarily due to the bang-for-the-buck/ROI (Return-On-Investment) angle, that says a lot.  I'd love to hear the HD-800, but I'm not tempted to buy one at its retail price.

 

The Q701 is my go-to for certain styles of music or recordings.  It excels at acoustic music, and I gather classical specifically.  Can't speak to that myself.  But for most pop and rock of many varieties, I reach for the HE-500.  But the I can drive the Qs with my JDS Labs C5, so they become in-house portable, whereas the HE-500 is tied to my Lyr.

 

HTH.

post #4783 of 7318

Thanks guys, looks like I'm leaning closer in getting these cans because of the rave reviews and great performance to price ratio. I just hope they don't sound to similar to the Grado SR225i as I am getting them for Xmas or the Sennheiser HD 598.

 

Hopefully the E17 will be okay enough to drive these cans until I can afford to get the Schiit Magni and Modi Stack.

post #4784 of 7318
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYabbz View Post
 

Thanks guys, looks like I'm leaning closer in getting these cans because of the rave reviews and great performance to price ratio. I just hope they don't sound to similar to the Grado SR225i as I am getting them for Xmas or the Sennheiser HD 598.

 

Hopefully the E17 will be okay enough to drive these cans until I can afford to get the Schiit Magni and Modi Stack.

 

I've got the older SR-225, and the two cans have very different sound signatures, not to mention comfort levels.  The Grados are good, to be sure.  I use them for ROIOs mostly.  They can help that bootleg sound  :D  The Qs, not so much.  But for jazz or New Orleans blues, it's the Qs all the way, even over the Papa HE-500.

 

See, what you need is a tube amp... I kid ;-)

 

Hope you dig your Qs, if you get 'em.

post #4785 of 7318
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post

I can echo what lots of people have said recently: great bang for the buck.  I mean, if a modded Q701 is putting people off the HD-800, primarily due to the bang-for-the-buck/ROI (Return-On-Investment) angle, that says a lot.  I'd love to hear the HD-800, but I'm not tempted to buy one at its retail price.

The Q701 is my go-to for certain styles of music or recordings.  It excels at acoustic music, and I gather classical specifically.  Can't speak to that myself.  But for most pop and rock of many varieties, I reach for the HE-500.  But the I can drive the Qs with my JDS Labs C5, so they become in-house portable, whereas the HE-500 is tied to my Lyr.

HTH.

I had a question for you regarding the HE500: How difficult to drive are they actually? I mean, I suppose the O2 should be able to drive them just fine (or at least I hope so) but, what about something like an E17/E18? Would that be just horrible? How much power do you estimate they need?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 appreciation thread