Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 appreciation thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Q701 appreciation thread - Page 313

post #4681 of 7167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairspray View Post
 

 

We could talk about FR for ages but, beyond this question, the most important thing is that the mod makes the Q701 much more involving, fun and musical, thus making it a fantastic audiophile all-rounder.

I found the bass a little too loose the first few days, but not anymore (post-mod burn-in? LOL). Plus, I did the foam tweak, which takes 5 minutes and is 100% reversible.

 

Does the mod make some frequencies sound artificial? Not at all. IMO, it makes the Q701 more balanced and natural sounding.

It slightly changes the presentation though, a tad less intimate and forward (possibly due to a better imaging according to Tdock). But this is NOT a deal breaker.

I'm pretty sure I won't go back to the original Q701 (I would love to have both versions though).

Since it is easily reversible, I say "Just mod it!"

:gs1000smile:


I'm kinda jealous that most of the users here are able to maintain this mod. For me, removing the sticker really did balance out the entire chart, but it was fatiguing to listen to. Is there something I can do to maintain this mod but reduce the fatigue?

post #4682 of 7167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nec3 View Post
 


I'm kinda jealous that most of the users here are able to maintain this mod. For me, removing the sticker really did balance out the entire chart, but it was fatiguing to listen to. Is there something I can do to maintain this mod but reduce the fatigue?

 

Have you tried foam over or in the port?  There are a few of us who've gone that route.  When I did it (foam over port), I had to try different types of foam (porosity/density, stiffness) before I found the one I like.  It was the perfect middle ground for my ears.  The process can be tedious, as it requires disassembling and reassembling a few times, unless you get lucky on the first attempt.

 

Anyway, may be worth a try for you.

post #4683 of 7167
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post
 

 

+1

 

To add to that, if you can do the mod, you can reverse the mod.  It's that easy.  I'd say it's easier to reverse, as those stock round stickers can be tough to remove (but totally doable, if you're careful and patient).  Reversing the mod is as simple as applying an appropriately sized piece of tape and making sure it adheres properly.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

re: certain recordings sounding bad on the Q701 vs. other cans, I experienced this recently with Rush's Exit... Stage Left.  It's not a great live recording to begin with, but on the modded Q it was god-awful.  EQ helped only slightly.  Perhaps the mod affected the presentation that much, but I'll never know, as I won't be unmodding :D  When I listened to it on my HE-500 (same amp, same tubes, same everything), it was a totally different experience.  Still not a great recording, of course, but at least it was enjoyable, and the sound wasn't all out of whack.  To satisfy my mind, I switched back to the Qs for a studio album: just fine.

 

(Apologies if I told that tale in this thread the other day.  I know I posted it somewhere, but I'm still waking up :p )

 

As always, YMMV.

Can't compare to HE500 cuz  HE500 makes almost everything sound good.  :D

post #4684 of 7167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nec3 View Post
 


I'm kinda jealous that most of the users here are able to maintain this mod. For me, removing the sticker really did balance out the entire chart, but it was fatiguing to listen to. Is there something I can do to maintain this mod but reduce the fatigue?

Yes, it might cost you.  A good tube amp is one possible answer that might partially smooth things out a bit.  The other answer is find the trouble frequency range and EQ.

I am not saying your ears are not normal but if you find the modded Q701 to be that out of balance, your ears do response different to sound frequency than quite a few of us here.  In any case, modded Q701 might not be the headphone for you then.  Gluck.

post #4685 of 7167
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post
 

 

Have you tried foam over or in the port?  There are a few of us who've gone that route.  When I did it (foam over port), I had to try different types of foam (porosity/density, stiffness) before I found the one I like.  It was the perfect middle ground for my ears.  The process can be tedious, as it requires disassembling and reassembling a few times, unless you get lucky on the first attempt.

 

Anyway, may be worth a try for you.

Foam only helps with the high FR.  Unless that's exactly what he's finding to be out of balance and the cause of his fatigue, foam will not be the answer.  I personally did not find/hear any audible increase in the high with the modded Q701.

post #4686 of 7167
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post
 

 

Have you tried foam over or in the port?  There are a few of us who've gone that route.  When I did it (foam over port), I had to try different types of foam (porosity/density, stiffness) before I found the one I like.  It was the perfect middle ground for my ears.

 

^^^ THIS ^^

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post
 

The process can be tedious, as it requires disassembling and reassembling a few times, unless you get lucky on the first attempt.

 

I've never disassembled my Q701.

Everything can be done with a pair of scissors and tweezers, carefully of course.

Just remove the grid cover with a pair of scissors and then use the tweezers to mod or tune your Q701:

- remove the stickers (bass port mod)

- slide little pieces of foam over the open bass port to tune the bass response (foam tweak)

(do what ThurstonX said: try different types of foam: density, size, shape, etc.)

post #4687 of 7167
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post
 

Can't compare to HE500 cuz  HE500 makes almost everything sound good.  :D

 

They do, don't they.  Now basically fully jerg-certified-modded, complete with custom red grills (:darthsmile:), I'm really enjoying them.  In fact, I don't think about them anymore, just which tubes sound best with which sources.

 

BUT, not to get off-topic from the wonderful Q701, I'm also trying to find the right tubes for them.  The Super Cryo'd OTK Reflectors ain't it.  They're a bold, brash tube, and pretty good with the HE-500, but I'm thinking the Qs need something tamer.  Later I'll try them with the 1966 RTC E188CCs.  Those tubes are ridonkulous.  If not them, maybe the bong pipe-worthy (sez Upscale Audio) Matsu****as will do the trick.

 

Do you have any tubes you especially like with the Q701?  Did you used to have the Lyr?  Well, regardless, let me know.  Also, if you can comment on them (and anyone else, of course!), would you get mid-60s Bugle Boys or mid-60s Orange Globes?  Either would be used primarily with Q701 and Grado SR-225.  I read a comment about how the BBs might be better with Grados, but maybe the Orange Globes would pair well with those two, and work all right with the HE-500, as well.  I'm just guessing based on reading a lot of posts.  Both are the same price.

 

Cheers :beerchug:

post #4688 of 7167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairspray View Post

 

I've never disassembled my Q701.

Everything can be done with a pair of scissors and tweezers, carefully of course.

 

 

Yeah, but I really like to disassemble stuff!  ;)

post #4689 of 7167
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post

 

Do you have any tubes you especially like with the Q701?  Did you used to have the Lyr?  Well, regardless, let me know.  Also, if you can comment on them (and anyone else, of course!), would you get mid-60s Bugle Boys or mid-60s Orange Globes?  Either would be used primarily with Q701 and Grado SR-225.  I read a comment about how the BBs might be better with Grados, but maybe the Orange Globes would pair well with those two, and work all right with the HE-500, as well.  I'm just guessing based on reading a lot of posts.  Both are the same price.

Cheers :beerchug:

I didn't have a Lyr but so far on my WA22, the modded Q701 like the higher power tubes (TS 7236).  For driver, the more mellow/darker sounding RCA 6s7n GT seem to smooth things out nicely.  I tried some Raytheon gtb but found them a little harsh in the high.  The stock GE 6S7N's are a little dull.  Rectifier is Sophia Princess.  As u probably read about the WA22 having very strong/forward mid.  I found this to be very true especially with the higher pwr tubes.  With HD800, I found the forward/strong mid to be a bit much for my taste at my normal listening volume but for the modded Q701, this worked out perfectly to bring back some of the lost forwardness/focus mid.  The HD800 sounds great with regular pwr tubes and RCA 6s7n GT grey glass(volume at 12 o'clock).  For Q701, I swap in TS 7236 (volume around 10ish or a touch higher)

post #4690 of 7167
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post
 

I didn't have a Lyr but so far on my WA22, the modded Q701 like the higher power tubes (TS 7236).  For driver, the more mellow/darker sounding RCA 6s7n GT seem to smooth things out nicely.  I tried some Raytheon gtb but found them a little harsh in the high.  The stock GE 6S7N's are a little dull.  Rectifier is Sophia Princess.  As u probably read about the WA22 having very strong/forward mid.  I found this to be very true especially with the higher pwr tubes.  With HD800, I found the forward/strong mid to be a bit much for my taste at my normal listening volume but for the modded Q701, this worked out perfectly to bring back some of the lost forwardness/focus mid.  The HD800 sounds great with regular pwr tubes and RCA 6s7n GT grey glass(volume at 12 o'clock).  For Q701, I swap in TS 7236 (volume around 10ish or a touch higher)

 

Thanks for the info.

post #4691 of 7167
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post
 

 

Have you tried foam over or in the port?  There are a few of us who've gone that route.  When I did it (foam over port), I had to try different types of foam (porosity/density, stiffness) before I found the one I like.  It was the perfect middle ground for my ears.  The process can be tedious, as it requires disassembling and reassembling a few times, unless you get lucky on the first attempt.

 

Anyway, may be worth a try for you.

 

I actually have quite the amount of foam lying around, I might just try it out. Thanks for the suggestion =D

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post
 

Yes, it might cost you.  A good tube amp is one possible answer that might partially smooth things out a bit.  The other answer is find the trouble frequency range and EQ.

I am not saying your ears are not normal but if you find the modded Q701 to be that out of balance, your ears do response different to sound frequency than quite a few of us here.  In any case, modded Q701 might not be the headphone for you then.  Gluck.


Heh, when I graduate from college and get a better job than working at Walmart, I'll go for a good tube amp. I found the dip in the q701's that raised back up after the mod in the 2.5-4khz range to be tiring. I found it to be female vocals that this presence to be fatiguing. Which might be why I can't listen to the ATH-CKM500's over a long period of time. Darn. :(

post #4692 of 7167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nec3 View Post
 

 

 


Heh, when I graduate from college and get a better job than working at Walmart, I'll go for a good tube amp. I found the dip in the q701's that raised back up after the mod in the 2.5-4khz range to be tiring. I found it to be female vocals that this presence to be fatiguing. Which might be why I can't listen to the ATH-CKM500's over a long period of time. Darn. :(


how about the shiit vali amp? $120-130

post #4693 of 7167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nec3 View Post
 

 

 


Heh, when I graduate from college and get a better job than working at Walmart, I'll go for a good tube amp. I found the dip in the q701's that raised back up after the mod in the 2.5-4khz range to be tiring. I found it to be female vocals that this presence to be fatiguing. Which might be why I can't listen to the ATH-CKM500's over a long period of time. Darn. :(

Bad mastering?  When I mix and master, a gentle cut in that range is a must.  :D

post #4694 of 7167

how does the Q701 with the bassport mod + annie pads sound?  I have a pair of Q701's with annie pads and that increased the bass on them.  Would doing the bassport mod be too much?

post #4695 of 7167
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSire View Post
 

how does the Q701 with the bassport mod + annie pads sound?  I have a pair of Q701's with annie pads and that increased the bass on them.  Would doing the bassport mod be too much?

 

I had the Annie pads (flat/non-angled, super comfy memory foam) on the modded Q701 and couldn't stand the sound.  I tried with different sources, but ultimately I sold the pads.  I think if you like the sound from the Qs with the Annie pads, the bass port mod might not hurt, may even help.  As I'm sure you've read, the mod is easily reversed, so why not try it.

 

HTH.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 appreciation thread