Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 appreciation thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Q701 appreciation thread - Page 277

post #4141 of 6623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post

I think the Modi uses a Sabre branded DAC too? Implementation is part of the story too, of course.

 

Oh, absolutely.  Implementation is key.  It was helpful to find a few reviews where people compared the ODAC to the HiFimeDIY.  Since this is my first external DAC, I think the biggest difference I will hear with either is the jump from the Realtek in the laptop, as opposed to any subtle difference between the ODAC and HiFimeDIY.  Because of that and the price difference, I figured I'd save some money, and even get the isolator (who knows, that may be a $30 placebo.... Mmmmmmm, sugary ;-)

 

Oh yeah, and they ability to send the few 24/88.2 FLACs I have to the external DAC.  That was a key selling point.

 

re: the Modi, pulled this from Amazon's page:
"C-Media CM6631 USB 2.0 asynchronous input receiver and 24-bit AKM4396 DAC"

 

It does handle 24/88.2.  I kind of prefer the 3.5mm out.  Gives my "fancy" short FiiO cable something to do now.  The Modi, while sleek and stylish, is a bit large for where I want to use it, whereas the HiFimeDIY units can be stuck together and maintain a ridiculously small footprint.

 

Schiit's still on my list... haha!... for the Lyr to drive my dream cans: HE-6.  All that and a 24/192 DAC to boot... when I win the lottery ;-)

 

 

Maybe someone can enlighten me.  The HiFimeDIY has an optical out, too.  That should be an S/P-DIF, yes?  So if I needed or wanted to send a digital signal out to my AVR for decoding - say, for watching a movie with AC3 or DTS when the laptop is using an HDTV as an external monitor - the HiFimeDIY would allow for that.  I've got at least one 3.5mm optical adapter left over from my ancient iRiver DAP that had the same dual Out functionality.

 

Cheers, and sorry for the seriously OT post.  I've no doubt the Q701 will soar with this DAC.  There :p   :wink: 


Edited by ThurstonX - 10/5/13 at 10:32am
post #4142 of 6623
Just traded for a pair of these and so far am impressed but cautious as I am not sure they may be to fatiguing for my ears to to the added treble. I love their open sound though much bigger than the K550. I am starting to think them and the K550 would be a great tandem to cover all genres except hip hop and that line which I actually don't listen to. I find them very comfortable as well but find them creaky.

I have an audioengine DAC coming in as well as a Bravo Ocean tube amp as well as an Indeed tube amp and my current RWAudio amp and Little Dot DAC1 to drive them. I think I will be using my tube amps the most with these to help add some warmth to them.

I have been reading about the mods for these but am not sure I will bother as I have other headphones to cover different needs including a pair of Shure SRH1440 and Monster nPulse (I know I know polar opposites LOL). To fill in for when I want something different.
post #4143 of 6623
@dweaver Yea I felt that a tube amp helped with that harsh treble. It was fatiguing for my head, so I actually went and got myself hd650, still going to keep both since q701 still have amazing sound imo :)
post #4144 of 6623

Ok guys, question:

 

  I am getting rid of all my closed back headphones because I want to get something impressive, something that I can enjoy everywhere, not necessarily ultra portable, but I want it to have a similar sound signature to the Q´s, preferably the modded Q´s. What I want is detail, detail, detail, and a fairly flat FR.

 

I came across with the AKG K271 mkII, and I am in the search for a contender. Any suggestions? Opinions on the K271s? 

post #4145 of 6623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashade View Post
 

Ok guys, question:

 

  I am getting rid of all my closed back headphones because I want to get something impressive, something that I can enjoy everywhere, not necessarily ultra portable, but I want it to have a similar sound signature to the Q´s, preferably the modded Q´s. What I want is detail, detail, detail, and a fairly flat FR.

 

I came across with the AKG K271 mkII, and I am in the search for a contender. Any suggestions? Opinions on the K271s? 

 

I really like my K550.  It doesn't have the soundstage of the Q701, but for completely closed, easy to drive, somewhat portable (it folds flat), I dig 'em.  I considered the K271 MKII.  Not sure the K550 is worth the bump in price, but if you can demo both...  one plus with the K271 MKII is the detachable cable.

....

Been reading reviews of the K271 MKII and the K550 at Amazon.  Found this in the K550 thread:

 

"Picked these up as a replacement for my AKG K271 MKIIs and am totally impressed."


Edited by ThurstonX - 10/6/13 at 4:26pm
post #4146 of 6623
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashade View Post
 

Ok guys, question:

 

  I am getting rid of all my closed back headphones because I want to get something impressive, something that I can enjoy everywhere, not necessarily ultra portable, but I want it to have a similar sound signature to the Q´s, preferably the modded Q´s. What I want is detail, detail, detail, and a fairly flat FR.

 

I came across with the AKG K271 mkII, and I am in the search for a contender. Any suggestions? Opinions on the K271s? 

 

Try the KRK KNS-8400. It has a little more low bass presence, a little more treble and tons of detail. I miss mine but I accidentally destroyed them. It's a long story...

 

8400 is perhaps one of the best closed headphones I found when I was playing Skyrim.

 

8400 IMO is even better than the K550 and SRH-940 to my ears. Some will prefer the SRH-940 though.

 

I don't really like the lean mids of the K550. I did think it had pretty good bass though.

 

8400 is one of the clearest headphones i've heard and not due to extra treble.

 

I really only need one closed headphones so I doubt i'll buy another pair but it's tempting.

post #4147 of 6623

Eih, those are in amazon at $130. It looks like a no brainer! 

post #4148 of 6623
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashade View Post
 

Eih, those are in amazon at $130. It looks like a no brainer! 

 

Can also possibly demo them at Guitar Center first.

Be careful because some of those locations don't accept returns if you don't like them.

 

The KRKs are certainly not for everyone, but I loved them and had both the 6400 and 8400.

post #4149 of 6623

I´ll try to demo them but i would definitely buy from amazon unless the difference in price is big. These Q's have spoiled me...


Edited by Ashade - 10/6/13 at 5:26pm
post #4150 of 6623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashade View Post
 

I´ll try to demo them but i would definitely buy from amazon unless the difference in price is big. These Q's have spoiled me...

 

One thought I came across in reading reviews is that manufacturers tend to have a similar sound signature across all their cans.  There was an interesting comparison of the ATH-900X and K550.  He expected them to be very similar, with only subtle differences to notice, but when he got down to listening to music it became apples to oranges, rather than apples to apples.  Overall he preferred the ATHs, but it was a close thing.

 

I'm listening to my K550 atm, and I still love 'em, but then I've only the Qs and SR225 with which to compare.

 

Anyway, accepting the premise that each manufacturer has a signature sound, it would definitely pay to compare as many as possible.  Take your Q701 with you, too, even though you're looking for a closed can.  Didn't you say you want something with a similar sound?

 

Good luck!  It's making me want to do that, but I gotta save up for the HE-6 :-)

post #4151 of 6623

I just got the K271 because I got a good deal with them used, let´s see how it goes. I might get the KRKs as well to compare and keep the best ones. :k701smile:

post #4152 of 6623
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashade View Post
 

I just got the K271 because I got a good deal with them used, let´s see how it goes. I might get the KRKs as well to compare and keep the best ones. :k701smile:

 

I think i've read of a few people preferring the K271 to the KRK KNS-8400. I've never tried the K271 but just the K240 Studio. K271 has always been on my radar but the bass rolloff on the graphs had me worried. I bet they actually have very good low bass extension and the graphs are not correct.

 

There's quite a few out there that actually think the K271 is better than the K240 Studio...I believe the only difference is that the 240 is semi-open.

post #4153 of 6623

That low bass roll off is scary... But I needed to try them by myself. I read velour pads can solve it in part. Maybe it is possible to do another mod to these. :bigsmile_face:

post #4154 of 6623

Guys, what´s happening, this is so quiet. My second Q´s arrived today but I couldn´t take them from the office... :( Maybe tomorrow evening. My K271s are on their way as well. :k701smile: 

post #4155 of 6623
Used the Q701 while working from home yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed them. They are a great headphone when used at lower volumes. I find the treble a bit to brittle with some classic rock but works well with Jazz and classical.

these things are very comfy om the noggin and I like that they remove a smidge of the ambiant noise around me as they remove some of the fan noise from my PC in my office.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 appreciation thread