Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 appreciation thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Q701 appreciation thread - Page 174

post #2596 of 7287
I liked mine out of my last-gen PowerBook G4! My newer MacBook Pro has a deceased battery right now, though, and I haven't tried it straight out from my tower yet because the headphone jack is in an awkward place to plug and unplug. I got used to just playing my Q701's through my E5 at first, sounded great, but you're going to be in for a treat once your Schiit arrives on your doorstep wink.gif
post #2597 of 7287

Can't wait! I thought that I may have a terrible time using these headphones without the Schiit gear, but I'm glad that's not the case. The way these sound by themself makes the waiting a lot more bearable. beyersmile.png

post #2598 of 7287
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceInvaders View Post

I now think I have found my headphone amp. Then again, I got the Yamaha receiver at home so I might try the phones out with it first. The amp (+DAC) I've set my eyes on is the Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2D! Costs 187£. Any experiences on how this goes with the Qs?

The question now would be if I really need to get a specialized headphone amp and does it make that much difference over the receiver?


Bumb...

Edit: I have this receiver: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882115389 YAMAHA RX-V371 3D 5.1-Channel AV Receiver or a VERY similar one, can't check this now.


Edited by SpaceInvaders - 2/21/13 at 11:41pm
post #2599 of 7287
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceInvaders View Post

I now think I have found my headphone amp. Then again, I got the Yamaha receiver at home so I might try the phones out with it first. The amp (+DAC) I've set my eyes on is the Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2D! Costs 187£. Any experiences on how this goes with the Qs?
The question now would be if I really need to get a specialized headphone amp and does it make that much difference over the receiver?

That amp is the O2.
Some like it with Q701s and some folks don't.
I've never heard one.
post #2600 of 7287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post


That amp is the O2.
Some like it with Q701s and some folks don't.
I've never heard one.


Thank you. I was going for the O2D which has a DAC to boot. Now I'm wondering if to get a different cheaper DAC to go with just the amp... Decisions, Decisions... Again, any comments about this are most welcomed.

post #2601 of 7287

Does anyone have a review or insight on these cables from Oyaide? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oyaide-HPC-X62-2-5m-Cable-for-Mini-XLR-Headphone-1-4-TRS-mini-XLR-/300788077369?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item46085dd339
 

I don't have the materials to make a DIY cable, nor do I really want to learn or have the patience for it, so I'm looking for somewhere to order some (or if one of you fine gentleman could make something up real nice for me, send me a PM!)

 

Cheers!

post #2602 of 7287

Just got my Qs re cabled to dual entry balanced.  Playing them on a fully balanced B22.  Man the soundstage and the imaging and the detail is that of the HD800s.  This truly a good balanced headphone.   I feel like I'm getting the most out them now.  

 

Trying to contact AKG (Harmon) now to see if they sell the ring without the connector for the Qs.

 

 

 

post #2603 of 7287
How is the bass attack on them with the new cabling?
post #2604 of 7287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post

How is the bass attack on them with the new cabling?

 

 

You got to come over and hear for yourself.  

 

Well - good but not as good as the HD800s but better that the K701s

post #2605 of 7287
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

Just got my Qs re cabled to dual entry balanced.  Playing them on a fully balanced B22.  Man the soundstage and the imaging and the detail is that of the HD800s.  This truly a good balanced headphone.   I feel like I'm getting the most out them now.  

 

Trying to contact AKG (Harmon) now to see if they sell the ring without the connector for the Qs.

 

 

Wowza! looking good. I want tongue_smile.gif

post #2606 of 7287
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post

Wowza! looking good. I want tongue_smile.gif

 

 

Thanks Lug,  That dag on connector sticks out like a sore thumb.  The 65th anvs are next..biggrin.gif

post #2607 of 7287
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

Just got my Qs re cabled to dual entry balanced.  Playing them on a fully balanced B22.  Man the soundstage and the imaging and the detail is that of the HD800s.  This truly a good balanced headphone.   I feel like I'm getting the most out them now.  

 

Trying to contact AKG (Harmon) now to see if they sell the ring without the connector for the Qs.

 

 

 

 

I just read that Norse audio thread and know your big into his cables. I can't say i'm sold, as its quite an investment. I guess there is only one way to find out if it's worth the money to upgrade...

post #2608 of 7287
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-MiC View Post

 

I just read that Norse audio thread and know your big into his cables. I can't say I'm sold, as its quite an investment. I guess there is only one way to find out if it's worth the money to upgrade...

 

 

Nothing to be sold on.  I buy cables for flexibility, functionality and looks..  

post #2609 of 7287
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

 

Thanks Lug,  That dag on connector sticks out like a sore thumb.  The 65th anvs are next..biggrin.gif

There is a possibility that the 65th's balanced like this could equal or overtake the HD800's eek.gif  

 

go for it!

post #2610 of 7287
Just now listening to HE-400 after Q701. HE-400 are "more fun," greater sense of drama, but sounds like listening to media rather than getting lost in it and immersed like "being there" in the musician's fantasy. A very good headphone, overall they are close for quality, but side by side I prefer the Q's despite new toy syndrome.

Very first impressions tho.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Q701 appreciation thread