Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Most Neutral Amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Most Neutral Amp - Page 2

post #16 of 30

I meant objective, not subjective. He's a electrical engineer who made O2 possible.

post #17 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Atrocity View Post

and my question about the Clip PA2V2 Fischer? :P (are you going to kill me now? :P)


PA2V2 can output 200mW according to the maker, which is more than enough to drive 003. I suspect even your Clip+ will give you adequate volume.

 

post #18 of 30
Thread Starter 

To "drive" something means to drive it without causing any deviations in the elements of audio? I am still somewhat of a noob here. Still learning.

post #19 of 30

There's really no point in investing a lot of money in the perfect amp for your tiny Clip+ without upgrading the DAC at the same time. For portable use, you're covered IMHO.

post #20 of 30
Thread Starter 

Okie dokie. Thanks :)

post #21 of 30
Thread Starter 

Well, I understand what you're saying. But my attitude is that fidelity (a flat frequency response) is most important. While I recognize I may not get the bang-for-my-buck factor the same I still want a flat frequency response. I don't like the concept of a coloured sound. I'm really against it. 

 

If my current setup (minus the Pro 900 I have now and add in the Fischer Audio 003) will be of a flat response then that's great. Otherwise I need to change something up.

post #22 of 30

You need to understand frequency response is only one factor in fidelity. This is a very simplistic way of looking at sound reproduction. You can still hear different sounds, even FR is the same, due to differences in impulse, square-wave, distortions, etc.

 

O2 will give you total technicality ($135+shipping), but a bit bulky. E11 is just as flat, less powerful (not that you will need it), and much more portable at about $65. These have been measured by Voldemort for me to comment on.

 

As good as your Clip+ is, it might be the weakest link in the chain after your upgrade (or even before it). Clip+ doesn't have a line-out, which means you will be double amping and whatever amp you get will be limited by the internal amp inside your player.

 


Edited by kingpage - 12/4/11 at 3:31am
post #23 of 30

Fiio E9 amp. Very neutral sounding to me.

post #24 of 30

As kingpage has said the clip+ would do just find, if you really need a good frequency response, I too suggest you look out for pre-build or diy yourself an Objective 2 or if that is too troublesome, get a cmoyBB. Those are the best options I can think of under $200. If you don't know already, it is almost impossible to look for a commercial product that does not have a completely flat response and even if you do, other factors will come in play and ruin that neutrality you seek. Like for the E9, with a output impedance of 10 ohms, is a terrible match for anything up to 80 ohms just looking at frequency response. 

post #25 of 30
Thread Starter 

Hmm, interesting. What other factors should I be concerned about in regards to fidelity? 

 

If I have my Clip+ (Rockboxed) leading into my PA2V2 and plugged into 64 ohm cans will the frequency response remain flat?

 

Fidelity is important. I don't understood the desire to have a coloured set up. It's not what was intended to be heard so why listen to something that has been artificially altered?

 

Edit: I also think that transparency is an integral component to fidelity. 


Edited by Sonic Atrocity - 12/4/11 at 5:27pm
post #26 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Atrocity View Post

Hmm, interesting. What other factors should I be concerned about in regards to fidelity? 

 

If I have my Clip+ (Rockboxed) leading into my PA2V2 and plugged into 64 ohm cans will the frequency response remain flat?

 

Fidelity is important. I don't understood the desire to have a coloured set up. It's not what was intended to be heard so why listen to something that has been artificially altered?

 

Edit: I also think that transparency is an integral component to fidelity. 


Some headphones/IEMs benefit from some coloration to bring balance. Some headphones may be recessed in mids and would do better with a source that has some emphasis on mids. Some may be recessed in bass and will do better with a source that accentuates bass etc.

 

post #27 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


Some headphones/IEMs benefit from some coloration to bring balance. Some headphones may be recessed in mids and would do better with a source that has some emphasis on mids. Some may be recessed in bass and will do better with a source that accentuates bass etc.

 

 

But why would one want to do that? Why not just have it flat all the way through instead of figuring it out like a puzzle? I think that sources and amps should be entirely flat - they are reference pieces. Meanwhile headphones should be what brings character. I must admit though that I think the headphones should be flat too. 

 

Anyhow, it'd be a bigger pain to balance out the frequency spectrum the way you suggested.

post #28 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Atrocity View Post

 

But why would one want to do that? Why not just have it flat all the way through instead of figuring it out like a puzzle? I think that sources and amps should be entirely flat - they are reference pieces. Meanwhile headphones should be what brings character. I must admit though that I think the headphones should be flat too. 

 

Anyhow, it'd be a bigger pain to balance out the frequency spectrum the way you suggested.



Some may not want a completely flat source but still and amp can fix the issue in synergy. Some like fun in their music while still trying to maintain balance as well.

post #29 of 30
Thread Starter 

Yeah, I definitely want complete fidelity. I currently own the antithesis to fidelity: the Ultrasone Pro 900. I have really grown to hate it.

post #30 of 30

The Clip+ already by itself has pretty good specs already, you wouldn't want to put an amp to it at all if possible since 

 

1. The clip+ has no line outs means you will be double amping(reduced fidelity) if attaching a amp to it, or you have to disable the amp section one way or another(I won't know)

2. The amp section on the clip+ is pretty cable, with a flat response, great output impedance and should pack enough power for that 003.

 

If you do insist on amping it, those I recommend will be fine.

 

As for the issue of "Fun", just use some DSP. Buying amps for synergy does not sit well with what limited resources I have, nor will I ever consider it. Synergy means more distortion after all.

 

As for amp fidelity, you may want to do some searching Innerfidelity where you can find some recommendations on amp measurements or you-know-who's blog which is most informative. Picking up some diy for amps may also be a good idea to get to know what specs and where to look for them. There is really too much to explain with amp specs.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Most Neutral Amp