Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › Is anyone building the KGSSHV?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is anyone building the KGSSHV? - Page 13

post #181 of 475

ignore list expanded

post #182 of 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin gilmore View Post

Noise at full volume is usually fixed with 100 ohms in series with the wiper of the volume control.

To maintain full signal to noise, the volume control is usually a good idea. Then you turn up to

full blast the dac, and adjust the volume control for just past your maximum listening level.

a detail but noise from the 400 Ohms of source degen/feedback R is larger

 

and while many source may still work best with analog volume control the picture is changing

 

several DACs with >120 dB dynamic range are available now - for some of these it no longer makes any difference as long as 24 bit PCM is driving the DAC - and even Windows can now be set for 24 bit output even with 16 bit source: the digital volume control math quantization at 24 bits output is way below any electronics noise floor

 

and headphone listening doesn't reach the 0 dB SPL anechoic chamber threshold due to mechanical motion "microphonics"

 

since ES headphones can't reach 120 SPL, hearing noise floor with headphones on is ~ 10 dB SPL then we really don't even "need" 120 dB dynamic range with good system gain structure

post #183 of 475

IMG_20120519_143600.jpg

IMG_20120519_143610.jpg

IMG_20120519_143617.jpg

IMG_20120519_143635.jpg

post #184 of 475
Neat smily_headphones1.gif
post #185 of 475

El_Doug, your amp is beautiful!

post #186 of 475

Very nice indeed. 

 

I was doing some inventory and I found 3 KGSSHV transformers so I guess I'll have to get cracking on some more amps.  redface.gif  First we need to finish these two new volksamp projects though... 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubliss View Post

ignore list expanded

 

Been on mine for years but this was too stupid to ignore. 

post #187 of 475
Nice amp indeed, definitely like the back panel

Hopefully production Teflon stax jacks soon


Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx View Post

a detail but noise from the 400 Ohms of source degen/feedback R is larger

 

I was referring to the noise some dac's make when they drive the input capacitance of the jfet directly

with no series resistance. Reading HDman's comments now, i think he was talking about something else.


Edited by kevin gilmore - 5/19/12 at 3:16pm
post #188 of 475
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Doug View Post
 

This looks very nice, refined, sober, with the name on the back! How many of them are you planning to build again?biggrin.gif


Edited by verwandlung - 5/19/12 at 11:19pm
post #189 of 475

Thanks for your kind words, everyone!  There actually will be a "KGSSHV" on the front, it is on the faceplate of the power supply (same size box).  However, just like the amp, the PSU front panel will be covered with black enamel and a matte clearcoat (just primed it tonight, actually) - thus the engraved "KGSSHV" will appear as a textured relief, but will not be a different color. 

 

It'll look even better once I get my wife to use her camera + photography skills, instead of my point-and-shoot technique with my cell phone

post #190 of 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Doug View Post

Thanks for your kind words, everyone!  There actually will be a "KGSSHV" on the front, it is on the faceplate of the power supply (same size box).  However, just like the amp, the PSU front panel will be covered with black enamel and a matte clearcoat (just primed it tonight, actually) - thus the engraved "KGSSHV" will appear as a textured relief, but will not be a different color. 

 

It'll look even better once I get my wife to use her camera + photography skills, instead of my point-and-shoot technique with my cell phone

 

Is this an onboard or offboard build? Pics of the insides too please o2smile.gif

post #191 of 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Pak View Post

 

Is this an onboard or offboard build? Pics of the insides too please o2smile.gif

 

offboard, of course ;) 

 

IMG_20120520_105815.jpg

post #192 of 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Doug View Post

 

offboard, of course ;) 

 

 

 

Very nice, what relay switching board are you using for the input selection?

post #193 of 475

I like it even more after that last picture.

post #194 of 475

Very nicely done.  Wow!  L3000.gif

post #195 of 475

Very nice :). Any PS pictures?


Edited by Victor Chew - 5/20/12 at 8:41pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › Is anyone building the KGSSHV?