Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Favorite piece of 20th/21st Century Classical Music?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Favorite piece of 20th/21st Century Classical Music? - Page 4

post #46 of 68

6222.jpg Stravinsky: Symphony of Psalms - Herreweghe

6656rev1.jpg Bartok: Violin Concertos Nos. 1 & 2 - Steinbacher, Janowski

6588rev2.jpg Prokofiev: Piano Concertos Nos. 3 & 5 - Gavrylyuk, Ashkenazy

2808rev1.jpg Martin: Concertos - Jac van Steen

16rev1.jpg Poulenc: Concerto for Organ etc - Gillian Weir


Edited by Arnaldo - 12/8/11 at 5:57pm
post #47 of 68
Thread Starter 


 


Thank you for these recs but what I should have mentioned in my original post...not looking for any choral music.

 

post #48 of 68

MMmmm

 

Howard Hanson, Symphony No. 2 - "Romantic".

 

Has one of most beautiful melodies/main themes I've ever heard.  The whole thing is good, one of my favorite pieces of music.

 

It was used in the movie "Alien".  Listening to it makes me think of Sci-Fi Epics.


 

post #49 of 68
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olias of Sunhillow View Post

My favorite 20th Century composition is Bartók's Concerto for Orchestra. I will finally see it performed live by the Colorado SO in early January!

 

 


OOS-

 

Thank you!

I listened to this for the first time yesterday and ordered it immediately.

 

I picked this up off of Ebay for about $5: http://www.amazon.com/Bartok-Concerto-Orchestra-Percussion-Hungarian/dp/B000003FEJ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324365674&sr=8-1

 

post #50 of 68

''Classical'' is a broad term.Are you asking about actual Classical style music or does this include Romantic style,Baroque ect.If you are using the word in a very broad sense (Anything Itunes defines as classical) my favourite piece from the last 50 years is a minimalist composition , ''Electric Counterpoint'' by Steve Reich

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #51 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrcrazy View Post

''Classical'' is a broad term.Are you asking about actual Classical style music or does this include Romantic style,Baroque ect.If you are using the word in a very broad sense (Anything Itunes defines as classical) my favourite piece from the last 50 years is a minimalist composition , ''Electric Counterpoint'' by Steve Reich

 

With classical we refer to what is "technically" called Art music. At least, I got it this way.

post #52 of 68

Here's one I really enjoy Copland Conducts Copland, the London Symphony Orchestra, it's an amazing SACD

 

Copland Conducts Copland [SACD]

post #53 of 68
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrcrazy View Post

''Classical'' is a broad term.Are you asking about actual Classical style music or does this include Romantic style,Baroque ect.If you are using the word in a very broad sense (Anything Itunes defines as classical) my favourite piece from the last 50 years is a minimalist composition , ''Electric Counterpoint'' by Steve Reich

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


I couldnt possibly be asking about the "classical style" as that was during the 16, 17 and 1800's.

 

post #54 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwitel View Post



I couldnt possibly be asking about the "classical style" as that was during the 16, 17 and 1800's.

To be completely nit-picky, the Classical Period runs from 1750 to 1820, or a bit less than a century.
post #55 of 68
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rroseperry View Post


To be completely nit-picky, the Classical Period runs from 1750 to 1820, or a bit less than a century.

You are correct.

Late 17th is still Baroque...

post #56 of 68

looking back , my post kind of looks wrong.Oh well , not gonna try and explain what went through my mind at that moment

post #57 of 68
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrcrazy View Post

looking back , my post kind of looks wrong.Oh well , not gonna try and explain what went through my mind at that moment



No worries.

I think you were trying to just make sure that I understood the difference between the two.

Your reply is appreciatedwink.gif

post #58 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by rroseperry View Post


To be completely nit-picky, the Classical Period runs from 1750 to 1820, or a bit less than a century.


 

Oh my God, it's not that someone wakes up and announces, ok guys, from today, let's compose romantic styled music everybody!

post #59 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edoardo View Post


 

Oh my God, it's not that someone wakes up and announces, ok guys, from today, let's compose romantic styled music everybody!



True, it started gradually with Beethovens 1st symphony and fourth sonata, but it was his 3rd symphony "Eroica" that is commonly accepted as the true beginning of the Romantic period, as it had an almost revolutionary impact on the music to follow. Written originally for Napoleon Bonaparte.  

 

beethovenConductingcafleurebon.jpg

 


Edited by LugBug1 - 12/23/11 at 3:19pm
post #60 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edoardo View Post



 
Oh my God, it's not that someone wakes up and announces, ok guys, from today, let's compose romantic styled music everybody!

No, but are you really trying to say there aren't general bounds to stylistic periods? Really?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Favorite piece of 20th/21st Century Classical Music?