Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Favorite piece of 20th/21st Century Classical Music?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Favorite piece of 20th/21st Century Classical Music? - Page 3

post #31 of 68
Has anyone mentioned Jennifer Higdon?
post #32 of 68
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rroseperry View Post

Has anyone mentioned Jennifer Higdon?


This is beautiful.

 

What type of piece is this?

post #33 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwitel View Post



This is beautiful.

What type of piece is this?

21st century classical, western art music, I don't know. Genre names don't quite capture it.
post #34 of 68
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rroseperry View Post


21st century classical, western art music, I don't know. Genre names don't quite capture it.


Forgive me; what I meant to ask was is symphonic, orchestral, etc?

 

What "album" can it be found on?

post #35 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwitel View Post



Forgive me; what I meant to ask was is symphonic, orchestral, etc?

What "album" can it be found on?

Oh, sorry. I'd say orchestral and it looks as though there's only one recording of it, by the Atlanta Symphony. It's an odd assortment, Barber, Copeland, Higdon, and another new composer.
post #36 of 68

Has anyone heard of Olafur Arnalds? Or has anyone mentioned him? 

post #37 of 68

41XveNI9ckL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

 

Pierre Boulez, Pli Selon Pli

 

 

41W5DZ8VFQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

 

Olga Neuwirth, Construction in Space

 

 

51dHTf0mRPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

 

Wolfgang Mitterer,  coloured noise

 

 

51l2gr--8qL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

 

Esa-Pekka Salonen,  Helix for Orchestra

 

 

samples at Amazon are incorrect for at least coloured noise . . ..

 

 

 

 

 

lol, Gergiev with his toothpick baton . ...

 

 

.


Edited by JohnFerrier - 12/2/11 at 6:15pm
post #38 of 68
Thread Starter 

Many of you have mentioned Stravinsky; I do not own nor have I ever heard any of his works.

 

I prefer the slower, more emotive material...where should I start?

 

On another note, Im surprised no one has mentioned Sibelius.

I know he is late Romantic and born in the 19th Century, but most of his work was done in the 20th century, no?

 

Have been listening to his 6th and 7th Symphonies lately and have really been enjoying them.

 

There is simply too much music to explore and not enough time!


Edited by kwitel - 12/2/11 at 11:19pm
post #39 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwitel View Post

Many of you have mentioned Stravinsky; I do not own nor have I ever heard any of his works.

 

I prefer the slower, more emotive material...where should I start?



Apollo Musagete.  You may want to get the Philips Duo collection of his famous ballets.

post #40 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwitel View Post

Many of you have mentioned Stravinsky; I do not own nor have I ever heard any of his works.

 

I prefer the slower, more emotive material...where should I start?

 

On another note, Im surprised no one has mentioned Sibelius.

I know he is late Romantic and born in the 19th Century, but most of his work was done in the 20th century, no?

 

Have been listening to his 6th and 7th Symphonies lately and have really been enjoying them.

 

There is simply too much music to explore and not enough time!

 

Well, Le Sacre du Printemps (The Rite of Spring ) isn't "slow" but it's one of his most imaginative and emotional works...

 

If you find slow-sounding stuff more emotional Les Noces (The Bridal, or The Wedding, or The Marriage)  - (why on Earth do we know Stravinsky's works with their French titles?) is a very emotional composition reenacting the traditional Russian wedding. Mind it's sung in Russian though wink_face.gif

 

Since they are two ballets, I suggest a video version. Some outstanding BRDs of Stravinsky's works have already been released.

 

 

 

post #41 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwitel View Post

Many of you have mentioned Stravinsky; I do not own nor have I ever heard any of his works.

 

I prefer the slower, more emotive material...where should I start?

 

On another note, Im surprised no one has mentioned Sibelius.

I know he is late Romantic and born in the 19th Century, but most of his work was done in the 20th century, no?

 

Have been listening to his 6th and 7th Symphonies lately and have really been enjoying them.

 

There is simply too much music to explore and not enough time!



How about a bit of Arvo Part, his music is very emotive and spiritual. His new Symphony No4 recently released might float your boat.

 

I have a feeling that you may find more what you are after in the Romantic period, (early 19th to the turn of the 20th Century). The 20th Century saw a massive backlash from the previous hundred years of Romantic music and has been a century of discovery and expression that peaked in the 50/60's with the avant garde movement. There has been very few composers this century who have ignored this and kept writing romantic music in the traditional sense.  Maybe try Rachamninov? he was one of the few and is extremely popular.

 

A living Composer you may like is Rautavaara, his music is similar to Sibelius and Nielsen but with a little serialism added in, (but hardly noticeable!) His later Symphonies are especially popular.

 

Sibelius 7th Symph is one of my favorites, you have taste! Also, you may like Martinu he was 20th Century and kept his own neo classical/romantic style, again similar to Sibelius.

 

 

post #42 of 68

 

Quote:
There has been very few composers this century who have ignored this and kept writing romantic music in the traditional sense.

 

It depends on one's definition, but there are many who, while not frozen in time, followed pretty directly on from the romantics.  From A-H (that's where I got bored), just in my collection, I have: Bacri, Barber, Bax, Bernstein, Borkovec, Brian, Bridge, Brouwer, Butterworth, Copland, Delius, Domeniconi, Elgar, Enescu, Finzi, Franck, Gershwin, Glass, Godar, Grainger, Gorecki, Harris, Hartmann, Harty, Honegger...

post #43 of 68
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post



How about a bit of Arvo Part, his music is very emotive and spiritual. His new Symphony No4 recently released might float your boat.

 

I have a feeling that you may find more what you are after in the Romantic period, (early 19th to the turn of the 20th Century). The 20th Century saw a massive backlash from the previous hundred years of Romantic music and has been a century of discovery and expression that peaked in the 50/60's with the avant garde movement. There has been very few composers this century who have ignored this and kept writing romantic music in the traditional sense.  Maybe try Rachamninov? he was one of the few and is extremely popular.

 

A living Composer you may like is Rautavaara, his music is similar to Sibelius and Nielsen but with a little serialism added in, (but hardly noticeable!) His later Symphonies are especially popular.

 

Sibelius 7th Symph is one of my favorites, you have taste! Also, you may like Martinu he was 20th Century and kept his own neo classical/romantic style, again similar to Sibelius.

 

 

 

LugBug-my first post makes mention of my love for Parts 3rd wink.gif

 

I have not been able to find another piece of classical music that stirs/impacts me the way that symphony does. To me it is simply a perfect piece of music that elicits (to me) nearly every type of emotion, well listening to all three movements straight through. A close second would be Goryeckis 3rd but I have difficulty with vocals...

 

To the previous posters...I shall try some Stravinsky! Looking forward to it.
 

 

post #44 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Flower View Post

 

 

It depends on one's definition, but there are many who, while not frozen in time, followed pretty directly on from the romantics.  From A-H (that's where I got bored), just in my collection, I have: Bacri, Barber, Bax, Bernstein, Borkovec, Brian, Bridge, Brouwer, Butterworth, Copland, Delius, Domeniconi, Elgar, Enescu, Finzi, Franck, Gershwin, Glass, Godar, Grainger, Gorecki, Harris, Hartmann, Harty, Honegger...



Yeah should have been more clear "Romantic (including late Romantic)" thanks 

 

post #45 of 68

Claude Debussy's Nocturnes, especially Nuages.  That music is so wonderfully lush you can almost see it.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Favorite piece of 20th/21st Century Classical Music?