Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Perfect $300-ish Headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Perfect $300-ish Headphones - Page 7

post #91 of 169
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post



Most just go with the AH2000, its like the default pair.

 

Generic Mid-Fi build:

AHD2000 Headphones

FiiO L9 LOD

FiiO E11

Maverick Tube Magic D1

 

Yes, most get this as the most generic build. the L9 is popular for being cheap and delivering good cables, the E11 is highly popular for competiting against amps that are higher in price than it and the Tube Magic is also mad popular too.  If you can't make a descision, these are it.



Thank you! These will stand as reference. Will check it out.

post #92 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridCore View Post



Thank you! These will stand as reference. Will check it out.



like other commenters noted. there are other amps that are more *suited* for ur music and what not. but then u have to find reviews. which most are rare and uninformative. then u need to see if it will break in a couple months. how well it stacks up against what u have...it's a whole slew of...whatever moments that make u go..whatever. i'll just go with the default set. 

post #93 of 169

I just have to chime in; if you are listening to alot of anime OST then do not buy too expensive and revealing headphones.

 

I got my whole anime OST collection in 320 mp3s and with the hd650 (known for being pretty forgiving even!) i can hear a lot of bad recording and compression on many of these songs. Angel beats was mentioned and the whole OST from that show save the intro is quite horrible to listen to. In Crow Song for example you can here alot of clipping and crackling noises, specifically after and during the chorus.

 

Bottom line: I think you really should be looking for a very forgiving pair of headphones.


Edited by Jellygoose - 12/16/11 at 5:04pm
post #94 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellygoose View Post

I just have to chime in; if you are listening to alot of anime OST then do not buy too expensive and revealing headphones.

 

I got my whole anime OST collection in 320 mp3s and with the hd650 (known for being pretty forgiving even!) i can hear a lot of bad recording and compression on many of these songs. Angel beats was mentioned and the whole OST from that show save the intro is quite horrible to listen to. In Crow Song for example you can here alot of clipping and crackling noises, specifically after and during the chorus.

 

Bottom line: I think you really should be looking for a very forgiving pair of headphones.


I have the whole album in FLAC........... just look in previous comments.

 

post #95 of 169

Just because it is in flac, doesn't mean the recording and mastering were done very well... but I do not find the Senn's to be very unforgiving anyway. :)

post #96 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post


I have the whole album in FLAC........... just look in previous comments.

 


Doesn't really matter what you have it in if the recording is sub-par. Or are you saying that 320kbps mp3 encodes would produce those kind of artifacts? cause that would be a very interesting statement and I would certainly like to listen to these FLACs of yours if you believe that to be the case.

 

What headphones are you using ?

post #97 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamstrain View Post

Just because it is in flac, doesn't mean the recording and mastering were done very well... but I do not find the Senn's to be very unforgiving anyway. :)



Yes I compleley agree. I have some songs in my library that I can't tell if teh person made a fake, didn't encode/rip it right, or the recording itself just sucks :'( 

Japanese OST's are (slightly)different in how you tell FLAC from 320. I find that for the most part. Their overal sound quality. like vocals and stuff stay the same. there are some artifacts in 320 sometimes that give it away. but the biggest one. is background. the background sound seperation, instrumetns whatever, and the hiss. the majority of my 320 OST's all have these problems. my FLAC's don't.

 

Example of bad songs in my library:

Last Night; Skillet  very bad hissing at beginning, every version has this

Iridescent; Linkin Park  Small pops,crackles in the sound. happens when their voices get really high. might be my DAC or headphones...but it shouldn't be. I ahve the HFI 580's and Shure SRH440's and it happens out of my computers VIA 1708S, my ipods Cirrus Logic CS4398, and whatever better Cirrus Logic and amp is in my macbook pro


Edited by bowei006 - 12/16/11 at 6:19pm
post #98 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post



Yes I compleley agree. I have some songs in my library that I can't tell if teh person made a fake, didn't encode/rip it right, or the recording itself just sucks :'( 

Japanese OST's are (slightly)different in how you tell FLAC from 320. I find that for the most part. Their overal sound quality. like vocals and stuff stay the same. there are some artifacts in 320 sometimes that give it away. but the biggest one. is background. the background sound seperation, instrumetns whatever, and the hiss. the majority of my 320 OST's all have these problems. my FLAC's don't.

 

Example of bad songs in my library:

Last Night; Skillet  very bad hissing at beginning, every version has this

Iridescent; Linkin Park  Small pops,crackles in the sound. happens when their voices get really high. might be my DAC or headphones...but it shouldn't be. I ahve the HFI 580's and Shure SRH440's and it happens out of my computers VIA 1708S, my ipods Cirrus Logic CS4398, and whatever better Cirrus Logic and amp is in my macbook pro


 

I'm in the process of downloading the FLACs right now and it should be very interesting to find out if there is actually a difference :-p

 

So you are saying you have not noticed any tendancy of low quality mastering and recordings of OSTs ? When I analyze them to check the dynamics etc it's more or less always non-existent, which to me usually means the mastering is sub-par at best.

 

For example:

 

Capture.PNG

 

Not exactly pretty. and this kind of curve is more or less standard for all modern OSTs i have tested. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war if you are unsure what this graph means).

 

 

*edit* just listened to the flacs and it sounds exactly the same. Distortion and clipping are identical, try for example from 1.10 or even better at 1.58 and tell me you don't hear it. I'm fairly positive that my senns are not broken :-)

 

It does take pretty high-end headphones to hear it though, for example I can barely notice it with my 700$ book-shelves (and was un-aware of this until I bought the hd650s). A lot of songs I used to enjoy are now almost unbareable to listen to. I think that's well worth considering. Therefore my conclusion remains the same: Stay away from too revealing headphones if you mostly listen to OSTs and j-pop.


Edited by Jellygoose - 12/16/11 at 7:00pm
post #99 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellygoose View Post


 

I'm in the process of downloading the FLACs right now and it should be very interesting to find out if there is actually a difference :-p

 

So you are saying you have not noticed any tendancy of low quality mastering and recordings of OSTs ? When I analyze them to check the dynamics etc it's more or less always non-existent, which to me usually means the mastering is sub-par at best.

 

For example:

 

Capture.PNG

 

Not exactly pretty. and this kind of curve is more or less standard for all modern OSTs i have tested. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war if you are unsure what this graph means).

 

 

*edit* just listened to the flacs and it sounds exactly the same. Distortion and clipping are identical, try for example from 1.10 or even better at 1.58 and tell me you don't hear it. I'm fairly positive that my senns are not broken :-)

 

 

Therefore my conclusion remains the same: Stay away from too revealing headphones if you mostly listen to OSTs and j-pop.

 

 


I have not noticed any low quality recordings of OST's?  Are you trying to ask if the OST's i listen to are all properly mastered?

I don't listen to too many so I couldn't tell you

 

Just compared an MP3(143 VBR) to my FLAC of Brave song. I could definatley tell a difference. The MP3 was overal quiter(always happens) so i raised the volume when comparing A/B . AT about 1:20 in the FLAC TV Version, (out of 1:48) the girl starts signing actually. comparing A/B showed a difference here.The FLAC made you feel like OMG, she is sitting right, there with a whole range of vocals and background sounds just taking it in. In the MP3, the effect was minimal. I don't have MP3 of crow song, only FLAC so i didn't test that one

 

Can you elaborate on your conclusion :P We got an anime thread here. let's talk of OST's to our hearts content :)

 


Edited by bowei006 - 12/16/11 at 6:56pm
post #100 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post


I have not noticed any low quality recordings of OST's?  Are you trying to ask if the OST's i listen to are all properly mastered?

I don't listen to too many so I couldn't tell you

 

Just compared an MP3(143 VBR) to my FLAC of Brave song. I could definatley tell a difference. The MP3 was overal quiter(always happens) so i raised the volume when comparing A/B . AT about 1:20 in the FLAC TV Version, (out of 1:48) the girl starts signing actually. comparing A/B showed a difference here.The FLAC made you feel like OMG, she is sitting right, there with a whole range of vocals and background sounds just taking it in. In the MP3, the effect was minimal. I don't have MP3 of crow song, only FLAC so i didn't test that one

 

Can you elaborate on your conclusion :P We got an anime thread here. let's talk of OST's to our hearts content :)

 


 

well if you could try 1:58 in on Crow Song(Yui Version), listen for crackles/distortion/clipping in the background.. 

 

I'd love to talk OSTs to my hearts content but I got to log soon since it's already 04 in the night here :-)

 


Edited by Jellygoose - 12/16/11 at 7:03pm
post #101 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellygoose View Post


 

well if you could try 1:58 in on Crow Song(Yui Version), listen for crackles/distortion/clipping in the background.. 

 

I'd love to talk OSTs to my hearts content but I got to log soon since it's already 04 in the night here :-)

 


In the FLAC? ooo and k. we head-fiers talk all day. come back tmmrw if you want :)

 

post #102 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellygoose View Post


 

well if you could try 1:58 in on Crow Song(Yui Version), listen for crackles/distortion/clipping in the background.. 

 

I'd love to talk OSTs to my hearts content but I got to log soon since it's already 04 in the night here :-)

 



I wasn't able to get Yui version. other than the kinda weird high vocals(as in a bit annoying) I hear no cracks and pops,. I have the FLAC

Tested wtih both Shure SRH 440 STudio and HFI 580 through 2010 MAcbook pro. I hear no metallic pops from clipping, or over excursion from needign too much power(my headphones don't require muchpower)

 

 


Edited by bowei006 - 12/16/11 at 7:21pm
post #103 of 169
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellygoose View Post

I just have to chime in; if you are listening to alot of anime OST then do not buy too expensive and revealing headphones.

 

I got my whole anime OST collection in 320 mp3s and with the hd650 (known for being pretty forgiving even!) i can hear a lot of bad recording and compression on many of these songs. Angel beats was mentioned and the whole OST from that show save the intro is quite horrible to listen to. In Crow Song for example you can here alot of clipping and crackling noises, specifically after and during the chorus.

 

Bottom line: I think you really should be looking for a very forgiving pair of headphones.



Oh, well that's disappointing...



Quote:
Originally Posted by liamstrain View Post

Just because it is in flac, doesn't mean the recording and mastering were done very well... but I do not find the Senn's to be very unforgiving anyway. :)



Very well aware of that. :)



Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post



Yes I compleley agree. I have some songs in my library that I can't tell if teh person made a fake, didn't encode/rip it right, or the recording itself just sucks :'( 

Japanese OST's are (slightly)different in how you tell FLAC from 320. I find that for the most part. Their overal sound quality. like vocals and stuff stay the same. there are some artifacts in 320 sometimes that give it away. but the biggest one. is background. the background sound seperation, instrumetns whatever, and the hiss. the majority of my 320 OST's all have these problems. my FLAC's don't.

 

Example of bad songs in my library:

Last Night; Skillet  very bad hissing at beginning, every version has this

Iridescent; Linkin Park  Small pops,crackles in the sound. happens when their voices get really high. might be my DAC or headphones...but it shouldn't be. I ahve the HFI 580's and Shure SRH440's and it happens out of my computers VIA 1708S, my ipods Cirrus Logic CS4398, and whatever better Cirrus Logic and amp is in my macbook pro



Wait, so make sure it's FLAC or suffer even more with 320kb or lower MP3?

post #104 of 169

Well, I wouldn't say it "suffering" if the person encoded the MP3 correct as 320 or V0. Most of my library is still in V0 or 320, even though I can ABX between it and FLAC. Sounds fine, just could be slightly better.  
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridCore View Post



Oh, well that's disappointing...



Very well aware of that. :)



Wait, so make sure it's FLAC or suffer even more with 320kb or lower MP3?



 

post #105 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridCore View Post



Oh, well that's disappointing...



Very well aware of that. :)



Wait, so make sure it's FLAC or suffer even more with 320kb or lower MP3?


Like the other guy said. it depends on how the person encoded the 320. but from my cases. there is a definite difference from my MP3's and the flac's i got from doki. the clipping problem jillygoose stated was not in the flac i downloaded. but then again. he was talking of the YUI version. i only have normal one. but depending on which headphones you got. as long as it's over $100...you will hear the difference. since the majority of 320 OST's on the web...are not that good. the problems they include. are what i wrote above
"here are some artifacts in 320 sometimes that give it away. but the biggest one. is background. the background sound seperation, instrumetns whatever, and the hiss. the majority of my 320 OST's all have these problems. my FLAC's don't."

 

so..are the majority of 320's...disease to the ears? absolutley not. other than the small differences i stated. when you are going to work or class...you will not notice them, they will sound just fine.(again, the majority of MP3's have these background sound and not as high and seperated vocals, fine for normal use, but there are those special ones...that just plain suck) however,...want best sound? FLAC


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanjiWatsuki View Post

Well, I wouldn't say it "suffering" if the person encoded the MP3 correct as 320 or V0. Most of my library is still in V0 or 320, even though I can ABX between it and FLAC. Sounds fine, just could be slightly better.  
 



 



:) im sorry that you can't ABX. are your headphones jsut not up to it? or is it that you just got a good 320. ehh whatevers. it could be anything from DAC, to amp to anything that affects it. 


Edited by bowei006 - 12/16/11 at 7:43pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Perfect $300-ish Headphones