The FiiO d3 is crazy good for the price! I agree
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Portable USB DAC to drive headphones and maybe speakers Last post on 10/13/12 at 1:57pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Best Dac for the price; need opinions!! Last post on 11/17/12 at 10:06am in Computer Audio
- Best Budget DAC? Last post on 5/25/12 at 6:51pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Apogee Duet w/Nate Breakout cable PRICE REDUCED Last post on 12/14/10 at 5:05pm in Source Components For Sale / Trade
- Alternative to Lehmann audio Black Cube Linear USB Last post on 5/27/12 at 12:18pm in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
Review and discussions - Audioengine D1 24/96 USB and Optical DAC/amp for laptops and computers - Page 6post #76 of 3962/4/12 at 8:31am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #77 of 3962/5/12 at 2:16amThread StarterQuote:
Not yet, sorry. And the only small DAC/amp combo that did the 600 ohm K240M any justice was the Meier 3MOVE. The 12V iBasso D6 might work well, but it's just a guess. You need voltage swing with these phones.Quote:Originally Posted by sanity8me
HeadphoneAddict, always a pleasure to read your reviews.
I had pruchased the DACport with your original review of it in mind. I am now uber satisfied with having my JH16's plugged into the DACport as my main setup. So much so that I have my fingers crossed that my next android/iOS phone will be able to support the DAC connectivity.
Anyhow, my question is if you tried or are considering modding the DACport to 1ohm?
No plans to mod the DACport.Quote:
It's decent with the 5v USB power and HD600, but the HDP has noticeably more power for things like HD600.
In the review I thought I compared it to my D4 dual WM8740 DAC?Quote:Originally Posted by slothman
Got my D1 on Tuesday of this past week...and got my RMA # this morning.
First impressions...aside from its good looks - sounded no better out of the box than my Fiio D3 via toslink. I ran redbook and 24/96 flac tracks for comparison and could not isolate any real differences in sound between the two. Later that afternoon, I recieved a new (true) glass Toslink cable (Sonicwave) and tried again. Much better performance, however I found the Fiio to have better bass and detail.
In USB mode, I could only compare it to my Valab NOS DAC (redbook only) and the D1 got smoked. The D1 sounded rather shrill on the highs, flat and lifeless in the mids and seemed to be lacking for much punch or resonance on the low end. As a result of whatever drivers are automatically installed for the D1 by plugging it in the USB port (Win XP SP3), I was only offered the Direct Sound playback option in Foobar. The Valab was running a generic Ploytec ASIO driver. Not really an apples to apples comparison, but just a quick survey against some gear that I already know to sound good within the price point.
I didn't really do too much more as I didn't realistically expect nirvana out of the box. I setup the D1 plugged into a laptop with a Sheffield Lab burn-in track playing on a continuous loop for about 60 hours or so...
The Fiio D3 rocks for less than $30. Boxing up my D1 for return as there was no appreciable difference after burn-in. YMMV as I bought this DAC for a non-headphone application (tested only in this manner) with the added bonus of portability and headphone usage. Think I will continue looking. I apologize for posting my results in a Head-Fi forum, but seems to be the only place the D1 is being discussed.
Sorry it didn't work out for you. I've found the sound of USB DACs to vary a lot in different PC rigs with their various hardware and software issues. The Mac always gives me consistent performance.post #78 of 3962/9/12 at 10:07pm
I have a quick question, I think I'm going to buy this amp but I want to use it with my B&O earbuds, so if you have any apple earbuds or any other earbuds on hand, can you tell me if it works (i.e. no clipping)? Their impedance is 19ohm so I'm not sure.post #79 of 3962/10/12 at 2:39am
Anyone tried it with the JH16? I am looking for a simple DAC/Amp combo to drive my JH16 from my MacBook Pro.
I am wondering if the JH16 may be too sensitive for the D1. I think the sensitivity equals the one of the W4, so would I still get an appropriate volume control?post #80 of 3962/11/12 at 6:27ampost #81 of 3962/11/12 at 10:19ampost #82 of 3962/18/12 at 8:59am
HeadphoneAddict, thank you for your time spent for us, doing all those detailed reviews.
Could you please compare this Audioengine D1 to the newest Ibasso D7 (Asynchronous 24Bit/192KHz USB ) or Audinst HUD-MX1 (insanely powerful amp) , or point me to the right link...post #83 of 3962/18/12 at 3:53pmThread StarterQuote:
I haven't heard those amps, sorry. I answered the other rank question in the USB DAC/amp review thread.post #84 of 3962/20/12 at 7:56pm
FWIW I am not using a D1, but an NuForce Icon HDP via the USB on the back of my Cinema Display.. no problems. If you're concerned about the power draw, I think you're covered since your display is also powered.post #85 of 3962/20/12 at 11:06pm
Have been enjoying the D1 for some time, and must say that music through the optical input is, to my ears, very different sounding than via USB. Much clearer, with blacker backgrounds and less fuzz, more ambient detail, more space, and a really pleasing differentiation between instruments. In comparison, through the USB input the music sounds woolier and all of one piece, although with thumpier bass and more warmth. And this, I should add, is through a 12-foot plastic Toslink cable that cost around $2 online (and can't transmit 24/96 files). After listening, ordered a 20-inch glass cable (SonicWave), which will hopefully produce even better results. Overall, the D1 sounded propulsive, powerful and fun right out of the box with my MBP, Bitperfect, and Denon D5000s; I'm very pleased.post #86 of 3962/21/12 at 12:23amThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by mink70
Have been enjoying the D1 for some time, and must say that music through the optical input is, to my ears, very different sounding than via USB. Much clearer, with blacker backgrounds and less fuzz, more ambient detail, more space, and a really pleasing differentiation between instruments. In comparison, through the USB input the music sounds woolier and all of one piece, although with thumpier bass and more warmth. And this, I should add, is through a 12-foot plastic Toslink cable that cost around $2 online (and can't transmit 24/96 files). After listening, ordered a 20-inch glass cable (SonicWave), which will hopefully produce even better results. Overall, the D1 sounded propulsive, powerful and fun right out of the box with my MBP, Bitperfect, and Denon D5000s; I'm very pleased.
I've been using Amarra Mini music player, and the USB is excellent. I had crashes with an earlier version of BitPerfect, but might give it a try again. Never tried Amarra with optical.post #87 of 3962/21/12 at 2:27am
I've used Amarra as well, and while it affects playback more strongly and has tons of features, I prefer Bitperfect for a more natural, relaxed, and colorful sound. The recent new version of Bitperfect (1.0.1) is better sounding, more full-featured and, crucially, more stable. And still $5. And yes, I much preferred Amarra, as well, over optical. Give it a shot—would enjoy reading your take.post #88 of 3962/21/12 at 7:18am
have you guys had any issues with the D1 making a popping sound or producing static when moving around with the headphones connected? i had this problem with my last DAC, too, so i'm wondering if it's my headphones.post #89 of 3962/21/12 at 12:51pm
I'm buying the D1 next week , I want a better DAC than my Fiio E7 (although its not bad by any means) and the D1 fits all the right requirements for me.
I'm keeping my Fiio E9 though as it drives my HD650's so very well. I've got no grounding issues to worry about so I doubt I'll run into any problems.
I'll post my impressions :)post #90 of 3962/21/12 at 7:47pm
So I'm new here, and new to DACs. I bought the Audioengine D1 and after tinkering w/ settings (to 24/96), I find it sounds no better than the headphone out in my HP DV7 laptop when hooked up to my home system (NAD T763 running KEF reference series speakers). My old Sony CD changer sounds much brighter and fuller. I did, however, notice that my Audio Technica ES-W9 cans sound better when running the D1.
So can anyone recommend anything I can do to get the D1 sound better thru my home system or should I simply send the D1 back and replace it with an HRT Music Streamer II? Please help!
- Review and discussions - Audioengine D1 24/96 USB and Optical DAC/amp for laptops and computers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
- › italy《≼TaNtRa((!!))MANTRA≽》+91-9958802839 bLaCk maGiC sPeCiaLisT... 14 seconds ago
- › A Bit of Music and a Bit of Fun 39 seconds ago
- › Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread 53 seconds ago
- › B&O Beoplay H7 Wireless headphones 1 minute ago
- › Washington《≼TaNtRa((!!))MANTRA≽》+91-9958802839 bLaCk maGiC... 2 minutes ago
- › USA《≼TaNtRa((!!))MANTRA≽》+91-9958802839 bLaCk maGiC sPeCiaLisT baBA... 3 minutes ago
- › New here, looking for headphone advice. 3 minutes ago
- › Birmingham《≼TaNtRa((!!))MANTRA≽》+91-9958802839 bLaCk maGiC... 3 minutes ago
- › Benjie S5 Offical Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Chandigarh《≼TaNtRa((!!))MANTRA≽》+91-9958802839 bLaCk maGiC... 5 minutes ago
- › Fiio F1 Dynamic In-ear Monitors by Brooko
- › ENIGMAcoustics Dharma D1000 by geoffalter11
- › Emotiva Stealth DC-1 | Balanced 24/192 Fully Differential DAC by audiobean
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by Dobrescu George
- › ADV.Sound EVO X by B9Scrambler
- › HiLisening MaGaosi Newest High end Detachable Design K3 In-Ear HiFi... by TwinACStacks
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by SOULSIK
- › Brainwavz B200 by earfonia
- › iBasso Audio DX200 Reference DAP by H20Fidelity
- › Focal Utopia by Aornic
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear