Maybe it's time to update the title of this thread?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Portable USB DAC to drive headphones and maybe speakers Last post on 10/13/12 at 1:57pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Best Dac for the price; need opinions!! Last post on 11/17/12 at 10:06am in Computer Audio
- Best Budget DAC? Last post on 5/25/12 at 6:51pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Apogee Duet w/Nate Breakout cable PRICE REDUCED Last post on 12/14/10 at 5:05pm in Source Components For Sale / Trade
- Alternative to Lehmann audio Black Cube Linear USB Last post on 5/27/12 at 12:18pm in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
Work in progress. I need to practice my English a bit...
Heard these with Chord Hugo and boy oh boy was I unimpressed... These are not worth anywhere their price point where their sound is concerned. Decently comfortable though. (The sound signature...
I decided to write a short review after buying the second pair today. The first pair was damaged by a clumsy flight attendant and her heavy trolley... Although I was super happy with the E700M...
I thought about getting DFs as a present after passing driver's exams. Read those very few reviews online, which were generally a mixed back of helpfulness. Then I took the bullet and said, yes why...
I have a pair of EarTech Music Quads that I felt were worthy of a better cable. In particular I was hoping an aftermarket, high end cable would bring some missing "air" and resolution, more...
Review and discussions - Audioengine D1 24/96 USB and Optical DAC/amp for laptops and computers - Page 22post #316 of 3966/29/13 at 3:11pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #317 of 3966/30/13 at 8:52ampost #318 of 3967/2/13 at 8:33pmpost #319 of 3967/3/13 at 11:46am
I enjoy my D1 as well (use it in the bedroom). Audioengine builds some pretty damn incredible components considering their cost!
But I would look into the HRT microStreamer IF you're looking to upgrade without spending ridiculous money.post #320 of 3967/4/13 at 7:02am
The gift card kind of limits me, plus I would be getting the D1 for just $70 out of pocket. The other option I'm considering is the TEAC HD-01, but that's another $230. I think I'd rather put that money toward some portable devices.post #321 of 3967/5/13 at 12:16amQuote:
gotcha, and a D1 for 70 bucks new is a killer dealpost #322 of 3969/4/13 at 9:00pmpost #323 of 3969/4/13 at 11:28pm
Thanks for all the useful info.
After struggling whether I should get the D1 or Xonar XTS to hook up my A5+ speakers, I decided to get the D1.
However, I have a Xonar SGX in my computer system. A friend of mine gave me long time ago.
Should I connect my D1 using a usb or a optical to the SGX?
I noticed that D1 using optical can run up to up to 192KS/s but I just checked my SGX card is only able to output 96k?
Little confusing here so if anyone able to clarify, that would be great.
NDpost #324 of 3969/8/13 at 7:55amQuote:Originally Posted by gdpeck
I think the D1 pairs nicely with Audioengine speakers. I use mine with a pair of Audioengine A5s, and I feel like it makes a nice difference over running them directly from the headphone jack of my macbook pro. I believe it would do well with the Audionengine 2s as well. I have access to a pair of those, but have never used them with the D1 DAC. I don't know how it will do with the Audio Technica headphones as I don't own those. If they are very sensitive, it could pose a problem. I don't use mine with headphones very much, but when I do, I have some trouble keeping the volume at a low enough level that it doesn't blast my ears. I use Westone 3s and Alessandro MS-1s, and both headphones are pretty sensitive, and the amp provides too much gain for them. I either have to turn the volume down in software at the player level (MOG interface, squeezeslave interface, iTunes volume control, etc.) or use an in-line attenuator. One issue I run into, which has been mentioned in this thread is that right before the volume on the D1 gets to it's minimum setting the audio will cut out completely. I actually prefer this to channel imbalance, but the problem becomes, the headphones are either too loud or silent.
As for how the volume knob works, sound is only sent to the speakers through the line out jacks when there are not headphones plugged in. So when you have headphones plugged in, the volume knob controls the headphones. When you unplug the headphones, the volume controls the line out jacks, which really are pre-amp out jacks instead of line out (they are variable with volume control). Also on my computer, the system volume (Mac OSx volume control) is disabled when the computer is using the D1 as it's audio device.
Hopefully this clears things up a little bit for you.
I'm reading this and it feels like I'm not going to get optimal results with a pair of Sennheiser Momentums? I hear they are 'sensitive'post #325 of 3969/10/13 at 12:26pm
Anyone tried any mods on the D1? At this price point I don't have much guilt opening one up and digging around. The fundamentals seem pretty good in there: AK4396, NE5532 opamp. I'm thinking of trying an Analog opamp and lowering the output impedance slightly.post #326 of 3969/18/13 at 9:15pmQuote:
Well I couldn't resist and tried out the mods. First stop, I replaced the NE5532 opamp (the one actually used in my box was JRC 5532) with an ADA4075-2. In the process I found there is what appears to be a ferrite bead and ESD protection diode right before the headphone jack. I I chose to bypass those as well.
Now, on to the results. The biggest difference to be seems to be a noticeable increase in brightness/airiness. Secondary effect is apparently in a expansion of sound stage. The stock configuration felt more pressed toward the center. I would say there is generally an slight improvement in overall accuracy, however it does feel less warm than before.
The headphone used for these tests is a Grado PS500.post #327 of 39610/14/13 at 4:16pmThread Starter
I have one of the first production D1 units, and I'm told that the newer units have upgraded opamps. I did not ask if they do exchanges as I assume they don't, and I don't recall what the old and new opamps are. Nor do I know when they transitioned to different opamps. I'll try to ask them soon.
However, I've been pretty happy to leave the D1 un-modded for now, with the stock opamps. The D1 is still one of our most used tiny DACs, and when my son and I went to RMAF this weekend we only took the D1, DACport, and Pico DAC/Slim with us. He used the D1 with his macbook in the hotel room, and I used the DACport. While wandering around the show I used the Pico DAC with Pico Slim amp and iPad camera connection kit with an iPhone 5s and iPad mini.
At home my son keeps swiping the D1 to use as an optical DAC between his Samsung HDTV optical out and his Audioengine A5 speakers, but I want to keep the D1 available for travel so I may just give him my Headroom MicroDAC or Nuforce HDP instead. At home I've been using an Audioengine D2 to connect my Macbook to the optical input of my Stello DA-100 signature DAC that feeds my Woo WA6 and KGSS amps (with the D2 RCA output into an HEV-70 amp that loops out into a HiFiMan EF5 amp). I connect a Marantz CD player coax digital out into the Stello as well. Amazingly the D2 RCA out compares quite well to the Stello DA-100 signature RCA outputs, but I haven't done lengthy in depth comparisons.
Now I have a demo unit (production version) of the new Audioengine D3 that I will be posting about in a new thread, and I'll post a link here when I do. Needless to say, when used as a preamp to feed my A2 speakers or a portable amp the D3 easily matches the D1 RCA outputs, but when driving headphones I have to say the D3 sounds a bit better than the D1 headphone out. I need to do more comparisons, but the D3 is actually pretty darn close to my $399 DACport so far, as a preamp or headphone amp! I can't say yet how the power output levels compare to the other mini USB DAC/amps around here, but it's strong enough to drive the LCD-2 rev2 and HE-500 to very reasonable volume levels (about the same power output as the Pico Slim with LCD-2 rev2.post #328 of 39610/29/13 at 5:11amI took advantage of one of the group buy websites and bought one of these plus a Bravo Ocean tube amp (amp is still in transit). Have to say I am loving this little DAC/amp it drives my Q701 perfectly and is awesome with my demo pair of K545 I am preparing to review as well as all my IEM's. It was smaller than I thought from pictures but should be great for my laptops as well because of its size.
thanks for the review HeadphoneAddict, well done as usualpost #329 of 39611/26/13 at 9:15am
Been listening to my D1 with some ATH-M50's all day now. Nice little unit for the price, but really it sounds like every other DAC/Amp combo I have tried with these cans. Havent played with it as a DAC alone enough to compare to the other, but Id say if you wanted a small, portable USB DAC/Amp for a set of low impedance cans, this one is just as capable as the rest.
- Review and discussions - Audioengine D1 24/96 USB and Optical DAC/amp for laptops and computers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 4 seconds ago
- › Opus playback with foobar2000 13 seconds ago
- › iFi Audio Micro iTube2 Buffer 1 minute ago
- › Keyboards? 1 minute ago
- › thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea 2 minutes ago
- › Want to buy a headphone but don't really know which one fits. 3 minutes ago
- › MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 - $199 Dynamic Driver Flagship *Reviews 2nd... 3 minutes ago
- › Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review 4 minutes ago
- › The Fiio A5 thread: an upgrade of E12A, MUSES02+LME49600, 800mW,... 4 minutes ago
- › Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV 5 minutes ago
- › Ultrasone Signature DJ by VintageFlanker
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by GirgleMirt
- › Onkyo E700M In-ear headphones Black with microphone by doraymon
- › K240 DF by asymcon
- › TWag V4 Litz ciem replacement cable by tex thai
- › Sennheiser PX 95 Versatile On-Ear Headphones by Varun Shankar
- › Panasonic RP-HT460E-K by PETEBULL
- › SoundPEATS Wireless Earbuds, True Wireless Stereo Bluetooth 4.2... by B9Scrambler
- › Soundmagic E10BT by msturg29
- › Brainwavz BLU-Delta Bluetooth Earbud Wireless Noise Isolating... by msturg29
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear