Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Review and discussions - Audioengine D1 24/96 USB and Optical DAC/amp for laptops and computers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review and discussions - Audioengine D1 24/96 USB and Optical DAC/amp for laptops and computers - Page 17

post #241 of 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdpeck View Post

Thanks for the replies! Seems like the wiggly volume knob may be normal. Does anyone have one that doesn't wiggle?

 

I hate to be the one that says this but mine doesn't seem to wiggle that much. It wiggles just barely, maybe only 1mm if that.

post #242 of 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by laxtothemax View Post

Hi! Would you recommend the Audioengine D1 for Ultrasone Pro 750s?
Basic Specs
- Closed back
- Frequency range 8-35.000 Hz
- Impedance 40 Ohm
- Sound pressure level 94 dB
- Driver 40 mm titanium-plated

I would not recommend the D1 for a headphone with an impedance of 40 ohms. The reason is that the D1 headphone amp has a 10 ohm output. Using the 1/8 rule, you should only use headphones that are > 80 ohms for optimal sound quality.

post #243 of 341

I disagree I had a Ultrasone HFI-780 that is a ohm of 35 and it benefited from being amped as it bass improved vs being unamped.  Also I used to ohm a pair of AKG 702's which where 64ohm which benefited alot from being amped. If you didn't amp it , it doesn't sound like it should.  So you really can't just look at the ohms  alone of a headphones to judge if they need a amp or not. Of course there are headphones that low ohms that are faily easy to drive without a amp.


Edited by genclaymore - 6/29/12 at 8:02pm
post #244 of 341
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by laxtothemax View Post

Hi! Would you recommend the Audioengine D1 for Ultrasone Pro 750s?
Basic Specs
- Closed back
- Frequency range 8-35.000 Hz
- Impedance 40 Ohm
- Sound pressure level 94 dB
- Driver 40 mm titanium-plated

 

I don't have a problem using the D1 with low impedance phones like the D7000, so Pro 750 might be just fine.  Some say the 10 ohm output impedance would cause a bump in the phone's mid-bass, but I'm not sure that's all that noticeable enough to make a difference.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnman1116 View Post

 Compared to ODAC?

 

Also, what you would recommend with a optical and usb input?

 

Thanks,
John

 

Don't have an ODAC.  Are you asking for other choices with optical and USB input?  In the similar budget price range there is the SuperPro DAC707 but it performed best with an upgraded PSU - note it's not powered by USB power alone, and it's USB performance is not nearly as good as the D1, although optical is very good.  

 

There is also the iBasso D10 or D12, but the cost is a little higher, as is the Headroom Micro DAC.  Those all have good sound, and their USB is better than the SuperPro, but their USB is not as good as the D1. The uDAC-2 doesn't take optical input like the others I mentioned.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdpeck View Post

Sorry if this was posted and I missed it. I did a quick search of this thread for the string "volume knob" and didn't find anything regarding my question. I just purchased a D1 and noticed that the volume knob has quite a bit of play in it. It functions correctly and is very quiet with no channel imbalance, but I can wiggle it side to side and up and down pretty easily. Without straining anything, I can probably get the end of the volume knob to move 1/16" of an inch left, right up, or down. I contacted audioengine support and they told me that some amount of play is normal. Since this thread seems to have the highest concentration of D1 users on the entire internet, I'm asking here to find out if you all are experiencing the same thing. D1 owners, please let me know if you have any side to side or up and down play in your volume knob. Wiggle it gently. I woudn't want anyone to do any damage to satisfy my curiousity.
Please note, that I am not posting this information to voice any discontent or dissatisfaction with audioengine. I love all of the audioengine products I have used, and my experiences with audioengine support have been absolutely satisfactory. In fact they have gone above and beyond for me in the past, and have already assured me that I have warranty coverage for this issue if it is a problem for me. However, if the behavior I've described above is normal, there is no sense in going through an exchange process. So I'm hoping to get a little bit of input from other users regarding this issue.
Thanks in advance for your help!
George

 

Mine also wiggles a little bit, and it wasn't something I noticed during the review because it's only a couple of mm at the most.

post #245 of 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post

Don't have an ODAC.  Are you asking for other choices with optical and USB input?  In the similar budget price range there is the SuperPro DAC707 but it performed best with an upgraded PSU - note it's not powered by USB power alone, and it's USB performance is not nearly as good as the D1, although optical is very good.  

 

There is also the iBasso D10 or D12, but the cost is a little higher, as is the Headroom Micro DAC.  Those all have good sound, and their USB is better than the SuperPro, but their USB is not as good as the D1. The uDAC-2 doesn't take optical input like the others I mentioned.

So basically, get the D1. 

Thanks, This was exactly what I was looking for.

post #246 of 341

Do you have a thread reviewing the uDAC-2SE you mentioned you had in the beginning? Or more specifically comparing the 2SE to the D1? I have both the D1 and 2SE now and am in the processing of testing them, reviewing them, and within about 10 days I'll have to pick one to keep and one to return. They are different (at least in my rig) ...

post #247 of 341

Hey guys I need a bit of help, I have a D1 and a Bellari HA540 amp. Using the D1 as a dac and pre amp, what should the volume on the D1 be set to?

Thanks

post #248 of 341

sounds like you will be going through 2 pre amp stages therefore IMHO, not worth doing.

post #249 of 341

what two pre amp stages? how is the bellari a pre?

post #250 of 341

it contains a pre amp stage, line in , volume etc

post #251 of 341
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyBagel View Post

Do you have a thread reviewing the uDAC-2SE you mentioned you had in the beginning? Or more specifically comparing the 2SE to the D1? I have both the D1 and 2SE now and am in the processing of testing them, reviewing them, and within about 10 days I'll have to pick one to keep and one to return. They are different (at least in my rig) ...

 

I added some uDAC-2 SE impressions to my uDAC-2 review closer to the end of the thread, possibly around the time I did this review.  The jump from uDAC to uDAC-2 is bigger than the jump from uDAC-2 to the uDAC-2 SE, but the improvement is there.  I only compared the D1 to the SE.

post #252 of 341

i wish i had many cans to test with D1, really like it!!!

post #253 of 341

Looking fwd to testing my D1 out when it arrives with my M-stage, and my Pro900's, and then Hifiman HE-400s when THEY arrive :)

Yay!

 

Hope I don't have any issues with optical as that's what I'm planning on using at this stage

post #254 of 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdpeck View Post

Sorry if this was posted and I missed it. I did a quick search of this thread for the string "volume knob" and didn't find anything regarding my question. I just purchased a D1 and noticed that the volume knob has quite a bit of play in it. It functions correctly and is very quiet with no channel imbalance, but I can wiggle it side to side and up and down pretty easily. Without straining anything, I can probably get the end of the volume knob to move 1/16" of an inch left, right up, or down. I contacted audioengine support and they told me that some amount of play is normal. Since this thread seems to have the highest concentration of D1 users on the entire internet, I'm asking here to find out if you all are experiencing the same thing. D1 owners, please let me know if you have any side to side or up and down play in your volume knob. Wiggle it gently. I woudn't want anyone to do any damage to satisfy my curiousity.
Please note, that I am not posting this information to voice any discontent or dissatisfaction with audioengine. I love all of the audioengine products I have used, and my experiences with audioengine support have been absolutely satisfactory. In fact they have gone above and beyond for me in the past, and have already assured me that I have warranty coverage for this issue if it is a problem for me. However, if the behavior I've described above is normal, there is no sense in going through an exchange process. So I'm hoping to get a little bit of input from other users regarding this issue.
Thanks in advance for your help!
George

 

George - I just received my D1 yesterday and it does have this excessive play that you mention.  Even worse, the volume cuts in and out as I rotate the knob and have to apply pressure to it so that it doesn't attenuate.  This really is a shame as otherwise the sound and build is top notch.  I contacted Audioengine yesterday evening, hope to hear from them today.  Cheers.  -Norm

post #255 of 341

Hi Norm,

I'm sorry to hear that about your DAC. I have had no problems with volume cutting out, just with a little bit of play in the knob. I don't know if you've heard back from Audioengine yet, but based on a couple of experiences with them, they will do a great job of taking care of you. The sound just seems to get better with use as well on this DAC. So here's hoping that they get you a new unit sent out soon, and you can start putting some hours on it.

George

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Review and discussions - Audioengine D1 24/96 USB and Optical DAC/amp for laptops and computers