Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-3
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-3 - Page 65

post #961 of 1047

Liquid Gold supposedly works pretty good with headphones such as the LCD-3. It's not cheap however.


Edited by ubs28 - 4/26/14 at 1:07pm
post #962 of 1047

I guess I must be a contrarian an but I really like the Manley Neo Classic 300b Amp with both the Audeze LCD3 and Senheiser HD 800s.  IMO with Sofia Royal Princess 300b tubes, the Manley slightly betters Cavalli Liquid Gold, and Woo WA 5 LE. I have listened to all three of these amps with the LCD 3s but I have not listened to each next to each other so direct comparison was not possible.   No one really talks about the Manley as a headphone amp probably because it is also a full function speaker preamp.  With good tubes (this is key) I think the Manley has a beautiful, musical, natural sound.    

post #963 of 1047

I had a gander though this thread and Googled around and couldn't find what I was looking for...

 

Has anyone heard the Audio-GD 10.32 and compared it to a Gungnir + Mjolnir stack?  Just looking for thoughts on what is a better option for the LCD3's.

post #964 of 1047

I have been struggling to decide over these amps for LCD3 with AK240 as my source:

 

1. Oppo HA-1

2. Schitt Mjolnir Amp with Gungnir DAC

3. Cavalli Liquid Gold

4. Woo Audio WA22

 

If anyone can give a helping hand would be very much appreciated. 

post #965 of 1047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniquexme View Post
 

I have been struggling to decide over these amps for LCD3 with AK240 as my source:

 

1. Oppo HA-1

2. Schitt Mjolnir Amp with Gungnir DAC

3. Cavalli Liquid Gold

4. Woo Audio WA22

 

If anyone can give a helping hand would be very much appreciated. 

 

For WA22, it's best paired with a DAC with balanced line out.  To date I don't think iriver had release that piece of accessory for AK240 and we would be limited to using the 3.5mm single-ended line out. FYI I tried with my AK240+LCD3 (261xxxx non fazored) and preferred my audio-gd NFB28 as DAC/AMP (AK240 optical out) or as AMP (AK240 line out) over using the WA22+AK240 lineout.  

 

But my best pairing with LCD3 is AK240 (or other transport) > Chord Hugo -> LCD3

post #966 of 1047
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcc View Post
 

 

For WA22, it's best paired with a DAC with balanced line out.  To date I don't think iriver had release that piece of accessory for AK240 and we would be limited to using the 3.5mm single-ended line out. FYI I tried with my AK240+LCD3 (261xxxx non fazored) and preferred my audio-gd NFB28 as DAC/AMP (AK240 optical out) or as AMP (AK240 line out) over using the WA22+AK240 lineout.  

 

But my best pairing with LCD3 is AK240 (or other transport) > Chord Hugo -> LCD3

 

hmm.... So Chord Hugo is able to drive LCD3? in that case maybe i should get Hugo and LCD3 1st then later HA-1?

post #967 of 1047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniquexme View Post

hmm.... So Chord Hugo is able to drive LCD3? in that case maybe i should get Hugo and LCD3 1st then later HA-1?

Yes, Hugo drives the Audeze very well. So well it almost got me impulse buying the LCD XC on installment the other day LOL. Really can't use Hugo as source to demo stuffs!

Re HA-1 v Hugo, try to demo if you can. I heard the HA-1 at my local store and prefer the Hugo. But again this is my preference you may or may not share.

Cheers
post #968 of 1047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniquexme View Post
 

I have been struggling to decide over these amps for LCD3 with AK240 as my source:

 

1. Oppo HA-1

2. Schitt Mjolnir Amp with Gungnir DAC

3. Cavalli Liquid Gold

4. Woo Audio WA22

 

If anyone can give a helping hand would be very much appreciated. 

Why don't you wait for Schiit Ragnarok? :)

post #969 of 1047
Quote:
Originally Posted by XVampireX View Post
 

Why don't you wait for Schiit Ragnarok? :)

is that a new amp? SS or tube? roughly when would it be out as i don't see it on schist website.

post #970 of 1047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniquexme View Post
 

is that a new amp? SS or tube? roughly when would it be out as i don't see it on schist website.

 

I'm not sure...  I've never heard of it either.  I'm pretty sure Vampire just made it up...  :D

 

(Have a look at the High-end Audio Forum page, the thread about it hasn't left page one since...  Well, ever.)

post #971 of 1047
^^ What? There's someone on headfi hasn't heard of the end of the world aka Ragnarok biggrin.gif

Yeah, due out soon - shipping maybe by end of July. Built to order. Schiit's statement amp and still on course AFAIK to be under $2K

Edit: btw it's SS, same topology as Mjolnir in a more advanced form, higher power, drives speakers, designed to drive any hp. A tube version was planned but IIRC Jason decided it's impractical.
Edited by AiDee - 6/25/14 at 6:17pm
post #972 of 1047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniquexme View Post
 

is that a new amp? SS or tube? roughly when would it be out as i don't see it on schist website.

 

Just in case what the two people above didn't make much sense:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/667711/new-schiit-ragnarok-and-yggdrasil

post #973 of 1047
I've had the Burson Conductor on loan for a while, and it sounds great with the LCD3. Very nice imaging especially, quite neutral yet nice and smooth.
post #974 of 1047
^ is that with the 3 or 3F?
post #975 of 1047
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardilla View Post

I've had the Burson Conductor on loan for a while, and it sounds great with the LCD3. Very nice imaging especially, quite neutral yet nice and smooth.

I was never a huge fan of the burson offerings. I find them to be really boring.  I am not saying that they are bad...just to me boring.  Very neutral and detailed sound though.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-3