Oh that'll be a fun comparison. Can't wait!
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Best tube amp for LCD-3 Last post on 5/14/15 at 8:43pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- LCD-3's and Woo WA22....WOW! Last post on 6/16/15 at 11:29pm in Headphones (full-size)
- LCD-3 / HD-800 amp Last post on 2/27/15 at 8:12am in High-end Audio Forum
- Could woo audio wa22 work well with LCD-3? Last post on 11/23/12 at 4:51pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Headphone user living in England needs some 'decent' advice --Americans, please rise to... Last post on 9/3/12 at 6:05am in High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: Yesterday
- Woo Audio: FAQ and Product TroubleshootLast edited: 6/17/14
First of all I would like to thank Hifinage (http://www.hifinage.com/) for arranging a review tour and sending this to me. They are really stepping up their game and slowly increasing the product...
First things first: I would like to thank Lin and RHA for the opportunity to test these IEMs and provide my honest opinion of them in return. It really is great that this community allows this...
Not too long ago, I was a lowly noob looking for my first headphones. I waded through the murky waters of terminology I couldn’t understand and brands I’d never heard of before. Over time, some...
Eddie Current's Zana Deux reviewed... Pre-amble - the Zana Deux original vs the new Zana Deux Super... - There are two versions of this tube amplifier. Both are output transformerless (OTL)...
This review will cover the X5ii, comparing it to the Pono player and the original X5. I have a Pono in my possession now. I unfortunately sold my original X5 prior to receiving the review sample,...
- Woo Audio: FAQ and Product Troubleshoot
Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-3 - Page 61
Gear mentioned in this thread:
The biggest diferences I found between the NFB-6 and Master 8 (on Audeze LCD-3 and DAC NFB-1.32) are the following:
Doesn't have the lower-mid hump that the NFB-6 had, it's much more neutral.
Has a nice sound stage much more wide.
Is much more dynamic and fun.
Bass is better controlled, strong and deep.
highs and lows are more extended.
Voices sound more lifelike.
Has more power than Master 8 on low power mode, XLR output has more power than Master-8 on low power mode.
A bit more bland and boring (less dynamics)
mid-lower hump that can be bothersome.
less details on high frequencies.
sub-bass is not so deep.
soundstage is constricted compared to the master 8
PD: Haven't figured how to make the high power mode work on the Master-8 I've done what is stated in the user manual and I get no difference in volume with my headphone. should I get an increase in volume if the power changes from:
low power 50 ohm: 1800MW to high power 50 ohm: 7000MW. Now that I read it says low/high power "model" instead of mode, I guess it should say mode, unless that switch is like the goggles.
Edited by mowglycdb - 10/17/13 at 11:16am
I've read that the NFB-6 is was retuned for some added warmth after people complained about the early revisions being too cold and sterile.
I used to own the SA-31 and I felt that the Master 8 had better bass conrtol and had better extension in the highs, but the SA-31 did hold its own with regards to soundstage size. I love the treble presentation on the Master 8, but I could see how a few might prefer the darker sounding SA-31 with adjustable warmth.
The volume difference between high and low gain should be noticeable. I can listen to my HE-6 at 50/99 on low gain, but can't go over 20/99 on high. I haven't found a need for high gain on the LCD-3 and HD 800 yet as I normally listen to both at 10/99 on low gain.
Sorry, I was using the terms interchangeably there. High power = high gain in my last post. I normally leave the unit in low gain, but toggle the power based on the headphone.
Edited by steve2151 - 10/17/13 at 12:42pm
I don't think that is quite right. I coulda sworn back in the M5/M6 days, the difference was that the M6 used unregulated power for the output stage, whereas the M5 used regulated power for the output stage. So I would assume the diference would be the same inside the M8. I would think tha biasing current would stay the same either way, its just the source of the power is changing.
thats not necessarily true, up top it wouldnt be current limited either way...your limited by the rails in the output stage not current delivery. changing the bias point wouldnt necessarily change the amount of power available either, just changes how much of it is class A
But he also says that all of it is class A, even past the biasing point, since it has no switching distortion. He says that is the "new" definition of Class A, not just the biasing current, but as long as there is no switching distortion...I've talked to him about it in emails several times heh
- Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-3
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Fidue A73 - Hybrid (1DD + 1BA) IEM - Impressions and discussion thread 1 minute ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 1 minute ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 1 minute ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › REVIEW: Fischer Audio Dubliz 3 minutes ago
- › ***NEW*** Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp??? 3 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › youngarthur 4 minutes ago
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by wrathzombie
- › RHA T20 by Wyd4
- › Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon by Stillhart
- › Eddie Current Zana Deux SE by mikoss
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by fleasbaby
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by LandonO
- › Audeze EL-8 Closed-Back by twister6
- › Yamaha HPH-MT220BL by RushNerd
- › Klipsch Image X10 Noise-Isolating Earphone by achelgeson
- › Philips SHE3590BK/10 In-Ear Headphones (Black) by nauhid
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3