Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-3
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-3 - Page 52

post #766 of 1013

OK - well, that's something to look forward to in the future.

post #767 of 1013

Depends on how good the upgrade is really, i mean does it really increase the SQ that much?

post #768 of 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthUnnamed View Post

Depends on how good the upgrade is really, i mean does it really increase the SQ that much?

 

Well,  I've only heard the Gungnir and not the Bifrost.  The Gungnir will add that extra touch of aggressiveness the LCDs " like or need" depending on who you are..  Also, it's a bit to much for others that have used it with the HD800s.

post #769 of 1013

Eh...i don't think it's going to be really worth the extra $300-400 compared to the bifrost, but if anyone has tried both, please elaborate

post #770 of 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthUnnamed View Post

Eh...i don't think it's going to be really worth the extra $300-400 compared to the bifrost, but if anyone has tried both, please elaborate

It's worth it, if you can afford it. Kind of depends where you are coming from.

As they say ignorance is bliss. And yea, the Bifrost is more than enough to enjoy.

 

I'd also add, running balanced is where you're going to yield the real noticeable improvements.

post #771 of 1013

Running balanced...uhh....explain please? redface.gif

post #772 of 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthUnnamed View Post

Running balanced...uhh....explain please? redface.gif

If you're planning on the Mjolnir a true differential DAC would be an improved addition.

 

I find there is more more dynamic swing compared to running unbalanced. Just a more coherent, more focused smooth sound.

There is also the added benefit of common-mode rejection as well as doubling the voltage swing.

 

I'm not trying to get you to spend the extra money if you don't have it.

However the benefits of running Gungnir over Bifrost were well apparent. Either way, don't agonize over the choice, you'd be happy with either.

post #773 of 1013

...well...TECHNICALLY i have the money to get both, but i was planning on spending the $400-500 for some extra stuff (new keyboard, mouse, mic, and webcam would equal to about that amount), but i don't really need it...so maybe. But damn, i also wanted a PS4...

 

But what sounds different between the two? Does the Gungnir provide more bass/treble/mids/aggressiveness/etc.?

post #774 of 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthUnnamed View Post

...well...TECHNICALLY i have the money to get both, but i was planning on spending the $400-500 for some extra stuff (new keyboard, mouse, mic, and webcam would equal to about that amount), but i don't really need it...so maybe. But damn, i also wanted a PS4...

 

But what sounds different between the two? Does the Gungnir provide more bass/treble/mids/aggressiveness/etc.?

It's a personal decision for you. Only you can judge its value. i.e. Gungnir isn't twice as better as Bifrost (it never works like that.)

 

Comparatively there is just better detail, clearer sound, more dig into the bass. I really can't think of anything the Bifrost does better,

there's a more involving sound, albeit in your face at times (depending on the headphone you're using.)

 

Bifrost is very good, but I'd consider Gungnir an appreciable upgrade.

 

 

But like I said, it's a personal choice, it seems you have some other interest to invest in as well. It's always best to audition any gear you can,

however, if you can't, then you can only do your best to discern what you feel is the better value.

post #775 of 1013

Alright, how do i use the gungnir with a computer without the usb version? I can get it if i don't get the extra $100 upgrade (which is kind of overpriced, imo)

post #776 of 1013

IF not USB, then you can go coaxial or optical. Whichever your computer has.

post #777 of 1013

Nice, i can use optical i think. I guess Mjolnir + Gungnir it is, once i get back to america and once i'm all set up financially. 

 

What should i expect, sound wise? And how good do my music files got be? Majority of my music is 320 kbps, with some FLAC spread around. Is there burn in required? How comfortable compared to the HE-400? Travel Case or Wooden box? Aftermarket cables (i hope to god no)?

post #778 of 1013
You might get worse sound quality when not connecting via USB. Computer Optical and Coaxial implementations kind of suck smily_headphones1.gif
post #779 of 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthUnnamed View Post

Nice, i can use optical i think. I guess Mjolnir + Gungnir it is, once i get back to america and once i'm all set up financially. 

 

What should i expect, sound wise? And how good do my music files got be? Majority of my music is 320 kbps, with some FLAC spread around. Is there burn in required? How comfortable compared to the HE-400? Travel Case or Wooden box? Aftermarket cables (i hope to god no)?

Yea, optical will be fine.

 

 

Expect a engaging presentation. The rest, well, you'll fine out. :)

 

320kbps is fine. Many here like lossless. And other high res material.

 

Burn-in, subjective. maybe 100 hours. LCD-3's are alright, depends on how you find the give on the pads. I'm not one for liking

HifiMan's headbands. Get what box or case you like. Cables can be something you look into down the line.


Edited by paradoxper - 8/4/13 at 8:20am
post #780 of 1013

MJ and Gung need serious burn in. I cant tell you how close I was to weeping and returning everything after the first initial listens. When you get the goods, leave them on constantly for about 2 weeks. No need for sound playing, just have it on 24/7. The sounds changes significantly.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-3