Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-3
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-3 - Page 35

post #511 of 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle00Jesse View Post

Thanks for the comments. lcd-3s are plugged in through balanced out, but gugnir is connected to mojo single-ended. I really hope my impressions change, and change fast. This is pretty devistating to me as I've been thinking about headphones and amps an unhealthy amount lately. I just wanted to get a system that would make me truly happy. I heard traces of that in my loaner review but I can't help to think its not there anymore with this new system. I spent so much money on this, and now I feel like a complete idiot.
The Gungnir made my teeth hurt. It's nano level harsh like you are describing. Most say it smooths out but mine didn't in 10 days, so back it went. I wouldn't worry about the Mjolnir though.
post #512 of 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by tupac0306 View Post

Solude? Does soloist's laid back amping soften the bass presence too?

 

When I had the LCD-3 I thought the Soloist was too polite for IT.  The Soloist is however not a laid back amp.  But for the LCD-3 I preferred the more aggressive Peak and thought the Mjolnir was too aggressive.  But on bottom weight and punch the Soloist is better than the GS-1, B22 and LF.

post #513 of 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2man View Post

The Gungnir made my teeth hurt. It's nano level harsh like you are describing. Most say it smooths out but mine didn't in 10 days, so back it went. I wouldn't worry about the Mjolnir though.

My Gungnir did smooth out after about 50 hours but not enough to keep it. If anything it seemed to stabilise but then deteriorated.
post #514 of 1013

where the hell were all you people when post after post was gungnir/mjolnir omggggggggggggggggg greatest thing everrrrrrrrrrrrrrr? Could've saved me some heartache. Guess i'm just an idiot and didn't search well enough. I'm never listening to you guys again :-D

post #515 of 1013
I like my Gungnir and don't think it has changed at all. That said I am willing to accept there may be better DAC in the nearby price range.
post #516 of 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

I like my Gungnir and don't think it has changed at all. That said I am willing to accept there may be better DAC in the nearby price range.
It probably works better with your LCD-2.2 though...haven't heard that combo myself.
post #517 of 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle00Jesse View Post

where the hell were all you people when post after post was gungnir/mjolnir omggggggggggggggggg greatest thing everrrrrrrrrrrrrrr? Could've saved me some heartache. Guess i'm just an idiot and didn't search well enough. I'm never listening to you guys again :-D

 

 

For the price, it's a good DAC.  If you have/had a little more to spend.  Could have got better.

post #518 of 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

 

For the price, it's a good DAC.  If you have/had a little more to spend.  Could have got better.

Totally understood. And most likely if my impressions dont change I'll be going that route. However what concerns me is that this "upgraded" combo actually sounds worse to me than a bifrost/lyr. Like A LOT worse. It's nasty, no layers within the music. Background vocals that I heard clearly before are muffled in with the rest of the instruments. I really think the problem is the mojo because when I connect the gungnir to the lyr, I hear a definitely step-up from the bifrost. Connected to mojo singe-ended is much worse. I'm praying this is break in related. Just took the lcd-3s out of the box last night. The pair I heard previously on the bifrost/lyr had 1000s of hours.

post #519 of 1013

How long have you had the amp?  Did you let it play for a few hours to warm up?  

 

Maybe you like the sound of tubes more?

 

Also get some XLR (balanced) cables to take full advantage of the M&G stack..

post #520 of 1013
Oh you aren't listening fully balanced? There's your problem. The unbalanced input is merely for convenience. It is not intended to be the main input.
Edited by Maxvla - 2/22/13 at 12:54pm
post #521 of 1013

Differential input could care less what you feed it, you get balanced out of it.  Using the balanced input isn't going to turn it into a laid back bottom heavy amp.  It's an aggressive top tilted amp, you either like that or you don't.  I didn't, and did feed it balanced, so I curbed it in favour of the less aggressive and more bottom tilted Peak.  Soloist is even further down on aggression and more bottom heavy.

post #522 of 1013
Something's very wrong if the Lyr sounds better.
post #523 of 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

Differential input could care less what you feed it, you get balanced out of it.  Using the balanced input isn't going to turn it into a laid back bottom heavy amp.  It's an aggressive top tilted amp, you either like that or you don't.  I didn't, and did feed it balanced, so I curbed it in favour of the less aggressive and more bottom tilted Peak.  Soloist is even further down on aggression and more bottom heavy.

 

 

See the LCD-2s are out the door.  What headphones are next up?

post #524 of 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

How long have you had the amp?  Did you let it play for a few hours to warm up?  

 

Maybe you like the sound of tubes more?

 

Also get some XLR (balanced) cables to take full advantage of the M&G stack..

Had it since Wednesday. I left it on wednesday night til this morning. Listening was done last night. My pyst balanced cables come tomorrow so I will compare then. Maybe I'm just jumping the gun here with all this disappointment, but it really doesn't sound anywhere near as magical as when I heard it before with lower end stuff. Very disconcerning

post #525 of 1013

HD800 for now but there is probably an HE-6 in my future.  But not until after I trim the stable some.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-3