Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-3
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-3 - Page 33

post #481 of 1014

I wont have my lcd-3's until tomorrow but my mjolnir arrived today to sit atop my shiny gungnir. It's just sitting there, just waiting to be plugged in. It wants so badly to be put through its paces. Agonizing..

 

Is it safe to turn on the mjolnir overnight on its first time use to burn in without a load plugged into it? Any risks in doing so?

post #482 of 1014

Safe and recommended.  Mine took nearly 24 hours to fully warm up.

post #483 of 1014

Thank you sir. It's on right now. Sucks that all I can do right now is look at it. Work tomorrow should be fun.....not.

post #484 of 1014

Tomorrow you can get a warm hug from it ;)

post #485 of 1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle00Jesse View Post

Thank you sir. It's on right now. Sucks that all I can do right now is look at it. Work tomorrow should be fun.....not.

How exciting!  Why not plug one your other HPs in just for a taste?

post #486 of 1014

Oh how I wish I could.. Don't have a balanced cable for my he-5 which I think I want to sell anyway, and I have yet to have my SA5000 reterminated to balanced. I guess its only one day of anxiety, but if it was any longer there'd be issues :)

post #487 of 1014
Unavoidable anxiety. If your cable had arrived first you'd be anxious about the Mjolnir arriving. wink.gif
post #488 of 1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle00Jesse View Post

Oh how I wish I could.. Don't have a balanced cable for my he-5 which I think I want to sell anyway, and I have yet to have my SA5000 reterminated to balanced. I guess its only one day of anxiety, but if it was any longer there'd be issues :)

Ahhh I did not think of that.

 

My friend you are in for the treat of your life. The LCD3s are amazing!  Tell us your impressions when your ready.

post #489 of 1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle00Jesse View Post

Oh how I wish I could.. Don't have a balanced cable for my he-5 which I think I want to sell anyway, and I have yet to have my SA5000 reterminated to balanced. I guess its only one day of anxiety, but if it was any longer there'd be issues :)

 

 

Selling the HE-5  - I'll be your huckleberry

post #490 of 1014

Got my LCD 3 today, been listening to it for couple of hours.

 

My frequency response graph basically tells the right sort of sound I am hearing. I only have LCD 2 rev.1 to compare(since I didn't like rev.2's sound).

 

It is what it is, better than LCD 2 in every way for sure, but like people said: does it worth twice the price? No. But I am very happy to live with the improvement it has because it's really just that last a few inches there for absolute audiophile sound.

 

MacedonianHero was right, anything that can drive LCD 2 well can drive LCD 3 too.

 

The major difference I can hear is the more extended treble and more importantly more linear and smoother. I always find LCD 2 rev.1 has a slightly more emphasized upper treble and a dip around 8-11 k which can misplace the instruments sometimes. With LCD 3, I can definitely hear more air around that region which leads to a better imaging with opener space. So the detail can be slightly easier to be heard, upper treble of LCD 3 gives a more liquid, relaxed sounding which make the whole treble part more coherent with mids. But I don't hear the more distant vocal that people are talking about despite the lifted mid-treble. The mids is still extremely neutral to my ears.

 

I am not fully hearing the best bass so far, probably due to the amp I am using. It hasn't provided the best impact for me yet.

 

Probably I have sensitive ears, I don't find LCD 3 dark at all. I don't see why some people still call it dark. IMO this is probably the most accurate sounding I can hear from music (also I like to listen to music with fairly large volume). Sure there is cut around 8k, but the forever extended treble makes it up with amazing transparency.  It's all about balancing the spectrum. The headphones have larger space and more airiness have to sacrifice some ultra treble extension to make it sound smooth enough, otherwise it will sounds really High-fi (Harsh IMO).

 

Anyway, will update later. I am pretty happy so far.

 

I will definitely go for a warmer amp (with more lows) after I heard LCD 3.


Edited by tupac0306 - 2/21/13 at 9:52am
post #491 of 1014

Also the upper-bass/low mids of LCD 3 is more neutral (less quantity) than LCD 2, providing less crowded soundstage for me, which is probably why people find LCD 3's vocal is more distant.

post #492 of 1014

I also agree that the LCD3 is not dark or laid back.  I see the LCD3 as very neutral, perhaps the most neutral headphone I have heard.  I also don't think its laid back at all, its super quick and responsive, approaching HD800 speed with the right amp.

post #493 of 1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tupac0306 View Post

Got my LCD 3 today, been listening to it for couple of hours.

 

My frequency response graph basically tells the right sort of sound I am hearing. I only have LCD 2 rev.1 to compare(since I didn't like rev.2's sound).

 

It is what it is, better than LCD 2 in every way for sure, but like people said: does it worth twice the price? No. But I am very happy to live with the improvement it has because it's really just that last a few inches there for absolute audiophile sound.

 

MacedonianHero was right, anything that can drive LCD 2 well can drive LCD 3 too.

 

The major difference I can hear is the more extended treble and more importantly more linear and smoother. I always find LCD 2 rev.1 has a slightly more emphasized upper treble and a dip around 8-11 k which can misplace the instruments sometimes. With LCD 3, I can definitely hear more air around that region which leads to a better imaging with opener space. So the detail can be slightly easier to be heard, upper treble of LCD 3 gives a more liquid, relaxed sounding which make the whole treble part more coherent with mids. But I don't hear the more distant vocal that people are talking about despite the lifted mid-treble. The mids is still extremely neutral to my ears.

 

I am not fully hearing the best bass so far, probably due to the amp I am using. It hasn't provided the best impact for me yet.

 

Probably I have sensitive ears, I don't find LCD 3 dark at all. I don't see why some people still call it dark. IMO this is probably the most accurate sounding I can hear from music (also I like to listen to music with fairly large volume). Sure there is cut around 8k, but the forever extended treble makes it up with amazing transparency.  It's all about balancing the spectrum. The headphones have larger space and more airiness have to sacrifice some ultra treble extension to make it sound smooth enough, otherwise it will sounds really High-fi (Harsh IMO).

 

Anyway, will update later. I am pretty happy so far.

 

I will definitely go for a warmer amp (with more lows) after I heard LCD 3.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupac0306 View Post

Also the upper-bass/low mids of LCD 3 is more neutral (less quantity) than LCD 2, providing less crowded soundstage for me, which is probably why people find LCD 3's vocal is more distant.

I think your impression is right on. With my entry level DAC/AMP, Audio~gd 11.32 on high gain, if there is bass to be heard, it comes thru and is wonderful. Sometimes I believe I feel it, as well as hear it. 

 

I've got the RWA Bellina with Pro Dac along with the latest Whiplash hybrid balanced cable coming in the next week. The LCD3 sounds so good now, I hardly believe (but I make myself) that the sound will be much improved.  It better be at what those two pieces cost!!!!! popcorn.gif

post #494 of 1014

Totally agree that if the bass is in the recording, the lcd will present it, and doing so with the utmost presicion. I belive I feel the bass too. 

It will be exciting to see how the rwa will perform. It's all about finding the right synergy, and this does sound promising! o2smile.gif

post #495 of 1014

Is it just me or did anyone experience LCD 3's bass has noticebly less impact than LCD 2?. The bass quantity just isn't as dominate as LCD 2's, so where is this best bass thing coming from? I know quantity isn't quality but at least, I should expect LCD 3 to have the same bass impact as LCD 2.

 

Is amping LCD 3 really that important? cuz on the same system, LCD 2 rev.1 have more bass presence and punch than LCD 3.


Edited by tupac0306 - 2/21/13 at 12:48pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-3