Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-3
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-3 - Page 22

post #316 of 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

Sweet man, I'll look into it. And the XDA-2 will be better then the Gungir?

 

 

It's Black thoughconfused_face.gif  Not a good looking match for the MJ.  If your into that sorta thing,

post #317 of 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

Sweet man, I'll look into it. And the XDA-2 will be better then the Gungir?

 

 

It's Black thoughconfused_face.gif  Not a good looking match for the MJ.  If your into that sorta thing,

Couldn't care less if the sound is better. Its balanced right? And what if I got a Firefly? Good with the LCD-3? 


Edited by wolfetan44 - 2/15/13 at 8:20am
post #318 of 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

Couldn't care less if the sound is better. Its balanced right? And what if I got a Firefly? Good with the LCD-3? 

 

Balanced - yes..  Firefly - Have no idea.

post #319 of 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

Couldn't care less if the sound is better. Its balanced right? And what if I got a Firefly? Good with the LCD-3? 

 

Balanced - yes..  Firefly - Have no idea.

Thanks for your help, prePRO!wink.gif

post #320 of 1013

I have personally not heard a better sub-$1000 DAC than the Gungnir, though I'll admit to not having heard some of the options referenced here. I solidly prefer my Grace m903 to the Gungnir, but that doesn't imply that the Schiit isn't good for the money.

 

If you can stretch a bit and are willing to go used, you can step up to a W4S DAC2 or perhaps a used NAD M51. You might also wait a bit for more reviews on the newest offering from Teac, which looks quite promising.

post #321 of 1013
Only DACs I've heard in the Gungnir's range were the Audiolab M-DAC and PSAudio Nuwave. Both clear victories for the Gungnir. Going to give the new Matrix X-Sabre a trial to see if it can topple the Gungnir.
post #322 of 1013

On paper the Gungnir has a lot of features not available in DACs under $2K.  Does that translate to the end result, I don't know, I haven't heard one but what makes the PWD2 better than the PWD is also in the Gungnir.

post #323 of 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

On paper the Gungnir has a lot of features not available in DACs under $2K.  Does that translate to the end result, I don't know, I haven't heard one but what makes the PWD2 better than the PWD is also in the Gungnir.

question for you Solude - I've been following many of the impressions you've given on the lcd-3 with all types of gear. You say the soloist>lcd-3 is great, but slightly too laid-back for your tastes. I think you referred to it as a little dead sounding. Question is, do you think if you heard the soloist>lcd-3 with the gungnir as a source instead of the pwd2, that would bring the sound a little more forward and would be a better fit (assuming the pwd2 is darker than the gungnir)? I think I'm set on the gungnir, but I'm hesitant to get the mjolnir if it's going to be too aggressive, but of course I don't want my system sounding dead. I can't deal with sibilant harsh treble...

post #324 of 1013

I haven't heard the Gungnir.  When I listened to the Soloist/LCD-3 it was with the W4S DAC-2 which is a lot darker than the PWD2 and less punchy.  That setup was overly dead for me.  The Peak with a 5692 tube was ideal and the Mjolnir was too aggressive.  The line is hard to balance.

 

It's mostly the LCD-3 though which is less lively than the LCD-2 in my experience.  The Soloist/LCD-2 is great and the Soloist/HD800 is mind blowing.  But this time around is with the PWD2.

 

I'm the wrong person to ask for LCD-3 advice though since I never really fell in love with the LCD-3 regardless of amp.

post #325 of 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle00Jesse View Post

I think I'm set on the gungnir, but I'm hesitant to get the mjolnir if it's going to be too aggressive, but of course I don't want my system sounding dead. I can't deal with sibilant harsh treble...

 

I have used a Gungnir > Mjolnir > LCD-3 rig extensively and have never heard anything approaching "sibilant harsh treble." It's a very good setup, especially for the money.

post #326 of 1013

I love the LCD-2 and LCD-3, but the Soloist as an amp is dead boring to my taste. The Mjolnir is far more exciting. All this is relative. I truly find the Soloist quite a bore. The V200 is very good (for LCD-2 that is) - the Mjolnir more exciting. 

post #327 of 1013

What part of the LCD-3 makes it as heavy as it is? I'm guessing all the metal on there. But what if a wood cup maker(people like MCA) made wood cups for the LCD-2 and 3, wouldn't that make it much lighter(considering one used the lightest wood the guy has)

post #328 of 1013

Contribution to total weight (ranked order):

 

- drivers

- metall covers

- headband with yokes

- wood

- screws

- dampening material

- luxury feeling & love

post #329 of 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loevhagen View Post

Contribution to total weight (ranked order):

 

- drivers

- metall covers

- headband with yokes

- wood

I thought I posted this is the LCD-3 appreciation thread, what an idiot I amtongue_smile.gif. Hm, so the drivers, eh? Take the drivers out! Haha. The sound would be so transparent, everything would sound so life-like.

post #330 of 1013

If you like the soundstage created by your wife and children - why not? Could be a bit of a bore in the long run.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-3