K. Sounds good. you guys have convinced me lol!
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Best tube amp for LCD-3 Last post on 12/3/14 at 6:18pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- LCD-3's and Woo WA22....WOW! Last post on 1/4/14 at 6:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- LCD-3 / HD-800 amp Last post on 2/5/15 at 6:24pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Could woo audio wa22 work well with LCD-3? Last post on 11/23/12 at 4:51pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Headphone user living in England needs some 'decent' advice --Americans, please rise to... Last post on 9/3/12 at 6:05am in High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
- Woo Audio: FAQ and Product TroubleshootLast edited: 6/17/14
Sound is neutral with a slight mid bass tilt. Highs and lows are well extended. Sound stage is large for an iem. The bass has some impact without being boomy. The treble is clear without...
Thanks to Vivian from DUNU, I was able to listen to the best IEMs I place in my ears. I have reviewed a few IEMs such as the MEELEC M9, A151, CC51, M-DUO, JVC FXT90 and recently the Havi B3P1, but...
These have nice dynamics and are flatter than some headphones. Despite that the low-end still has enough gusto to bring tracks to life. Another benefit is the detachable cable which uses a 5N OFC...
Disclaimer: I am in not associated with any company; my views are mine, and my own. The Thinksound Rain2 is the newest IEM produced and designed by the environmentally friendly company...
Introduction: When I first came accross the AudioMinor in e-bay I was surprised that the seller is located in the country where I live: Turkey. I have contacted with the company owner/ebay...
Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-3 - Page 17
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #242 of 11672/5/13 at 6:01pmQuote:Originally Posted by MightyChimp
I just the LCD 3s in today. I'm looking for some amp recommendations in the $500-1000 range. While I acknowledge that an expensive amp would do a better job at driving these, I really can't afford to drop that much cash on this right now.
Is there anything around $500 that will do a good job?
I was looking at the Schit Lyr or Schiit MJLONIR
Will a Lyr do a good job or is the MJOLNIR really a step up?
The Lyr was just "meh" with the LCD-3s (though quite good with the LCD-2s). I'm gonna go with the flow and say Mjolinir!post #243 of 11672/5/13 at 9:39pmQuote:
Totally agree. The Lyr is good value, but you can do better for the LCD-3.
Right now, I'm deciding between the Mjolnir and the Bryston BHA-1 for my LCD-3. They're very close in sound quality, with the Mjolnir being a little drier and less engaging but otherwise quite competitive. I prefer the additional connectivity options of the BHA-1 (balanced or SE on the input and headphone output, plus you can have both types of inputs plugged in at once), but if these extra features don't interest you I'd pick the Mjolnir as a better value.post #244 of 11672/5/13 at 9:44pm
This might help too.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/612317/the-absolute-best-amp-for-the-lcd-3-only-vote-if-you-have-heard-the-mjolnir-and-at-least-one-other-amp-preferably-most-on-the-listpost #245 of 11672/5/13 at 10:14pmQuote:Originally Posted by IH8RDNX
I was also looking for a small footprint solution for my small bedroom, after all when I'm in the living room I'm gonna listen to my Dynaudio towers not headphones. But here in the bedroom headphones are king although there's not much room, so I bought a Burson Soloist and Audeze LCD3's. The Soloist is only 7inches wide and fits easily on the narrow shelf next to my bed. I'm driving it with a miniDAC which is also very small. For source material I am using my CD collection which is about 2500 CDs of mostly Japanese imports and gold CDs, played through a tabletop JVC CD player with optical output. I hope to upgrade to a nice CD transport if I can find one small enough.
The Soloist drives the LCD3's quite nicely, loud enough for hearing damage if you care to push it that high (I do not). You will not be sorry you bought it unless you have a thing for tubes, but you will never find a small tube amp that can drive the LCD3's.
I head that the Burson HA-160 was not good enough to drive the LCD3's. I was originally looking at the HA-160.
Now I see a lot of people saying the Soloist can drive them quite well? Seems odd, mind you I am not an expert :)
I may be able to demo the LCD3's and the Soloist at the local store as they import both.
The Apex peak looks a lot bigger then both the Schiit lyr or the Burson soloist.
Or are the images on there site deceiving. I'd also like to keep away from amp+separate Power supply, it just takes up more room that i don't have :)post #246 of 11672/6/13 at 3:24amQuote:
I have the HA160 and DA160 with the LCD3s and it drives them adequately.. Im just not impressed with the quality compared to some of my portable amps and the LCD3s. Will be selling the Burson gear soonpost #247 of 11672/6/13 at 3:27am
About the same size, Peak has a shorter case but taller because of the tube and weighs less.
Soloist is my second pick for the LCD-3 though and the amp I have now. The reason the HA-160 isn't recommended much is the 100mW ceiling while the Soloist bumps up to 500mW and sounds much better.post #248 of 11672/6/13 at 6:16ampost #249 of 11672/6/13 at 8:31ampost #250 of 11672/6/13 at 11:29amQuote:I had both. My opinion is that the BHA-1 has treble distortion and the Mjolnir doesn't. I listened to the BHA-1 for about a week and switched back and was so relieved to be able to follow the treble again. This is with the LCD-3's. The BHA-1 still might work best for your setup. Just one man's opinion....I sold the Bryston.Originally Posted by Olias of Sunhillow
Right now, I'm deciding between the Mjolnir and the Bryston BHA-1 for my LCD-3. They're very close in sound quality, with the Mjolnir being a little drier and less engaging but otherwise quite competitive. I prefer the additional connectivity options of the BHA-1 (balanced or SE on the input and headphone output, plus you can have both types of inputs plugged in at once), but if these extra features don't interest you I'd pick the Mjolnir as a better value.post #251 of 11672/6/13 at 11:32amQuote:
Is there a less expensive all-in-one solution? Like $1000ish range. E.g. Burson Ha160ds
A couple people above indicate that the HA160 don't do a great job. Hmmm...
If not then I'll end up rocking Schiit Mjolnir / Bitfrost.
Edited by MightyChimp - 2/6/13 at 2:43pmpost #252 of 11672/6/13 at 5:13pmQuote:Originally Posted by Solude
About the same size, Peak has a shorter case but taller because of the tube and weighs less.
Soloist is my second pick for the LCD-3 though and the amp I have now. The reason the HA-160 isn't recommended much is the 100mW ceiling while the Soloist bumps up to 500mW and sounds much better.
OK I'll bite. Burson rates the Soloist at 4W into 16 ohms. So driving a 50 ohm LCD3, the Soloist should supply just over 1W. Has Burson overrated the Soloist output?post #253 of 11672/6/13 at 7:08pm
Looking at the circuit and rail values... yes. Burson likes to throw out the 100% distortion number, 4W, and the usable number 1W into 30ohm and let the buyer decide which one they prefer ;)
They did the same thing for the HA-160.
That said, I think the Soloist sounds great it's just not a B22 or Mjolnir in terms of power. The Peak is even weaker at 400mW but the difference there is really splitting hairs. 117dB will blow out your ears so 500mW is more than enough.post #254 of 11672/6/13 at 8:46pm
- Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-3
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Geek Out IEM 100 48 seconds ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 51 seconds ago
- › Fostex HP-A8C - official EU version - shipping included - LAST... 1 minute ago
- › Best amp for Beyerdynamic T1 1 minute ago
- › Fostex HP-A8C - official EU version - LAST PRICE DROP 1 minute ago
- › PS AUDIO PerfectWave DAC Mk. I > Mk. II 2 minutes ago
- › Equalizer, use or not to use 5 minutes ago
- › Notes: FiiO E10K & E11K (based on pre-production/beta engineering... 5 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 6 minutes ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 8 minutes ago
- › Miles Davis Trumpet High Performance In-ear Headphones by Merfolk
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by Niyologist
- › Goldring DR100 High Fidelity Stereo Headphones by interpolate
- › thinksound rain2 Wooden In-Ear Headphone (Gunmetal Chocolate) by Delance26
- › AudioMinor Headphone Cables by Baycode
- › Etymotic Research Isolator MK5 Noise-Isolating In-Ear Earphones by eyal1983
- › Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold by Frank I
- › OSTRY KC06 High Fidelity Stereo Inner-Ear Earphones by Inks
- › Schiit Audio Valhalla 2 by Hifi Enthusiast
- › Schiit Vali by CEE TEE
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3