Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Jazz Recommendations from this Century
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Jazz Recommendations from this Century - Page 7

post #91 of 227

…here's a Trane-influenced saxist who's been around a bit but come into his own in the past few years…three fine trio albums since 2008, notable for their economy, briskness and all-around expressiveness…JD Allen seems to be on a roll, not least of which because his trio is a good vehicle for Rudy Royston, one of the finest of the new drummers…

 

51oWJE7OQ9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

 

I Am I Am

 

 

51e882KYBQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

 

Shine!

 

allen.jpg

Victory!

post #92 of 227

Love that this thread is still alive and active - thanks tru blu for your additions - I'll be checking your trio recommendation out shortly :-)

 

I've also just finished a review of "Free Forever" by the Omer Avital group. This recording should have a home with any serious jazz fans...at least that's my .02 cents. The compositions by Avital are masterpieces and the sax work by Frahm and trumpet work by Cohen are expressive and soulfull! A full review of the album can be found here: http://www.jazzjunkie.net/

 

Omer Avital - Free Forever Album Cover.jpg

post #93 of 227

Will definitely pick this up.  It contains the "other" Avishai Cohen that plays trumpet.  The other Avishai Cohen (my personal favorite) plays the double bass and studied under Chic Corea.  Must suck to be an accomplished musician to find out there is another guy with the same name out there who is also accomplished.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpink44 View Post

Love that this thread is still alive and active - thanks tru blu for your additions - I'll be checking your trio recommendation out shortly :-)

 

I've also just finished a review of "Free Forever" by the Omer Avital group. This recording should have a home with any serious jazz fans...at least that's my .02 cents. The compositions by Avital are masterpieces and the sax work by Frahm and trumpet work by Cohen are expressive and soulfull! A full review of the album can be found here: http://www.jazzjunkie.net/



 

post #94 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNBC View Post

Must suck to be an accomplished musician to find out there is another guy with the same name out there who is also accomplished.
 



 


LOL! At least they play different instruments :-) Both the Cohens are outstanding! His trumpet playing on this recording is just mesmerizing. If you pick it up, please let me know what you think!

 

Happy New Year!!
 

 

post #95 of 227

I'm really enjoying Mathias Eick's "Skala" from last year...

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=39279

 

There's also a nice recording of a satellite broadcast of a show of Eick's from last August up on Dime:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=387657

post #96 of 227

Early impressions is that it is an excellent recording.  I broke down and bought the Amazon MP3 album but maybe the CD would have been the way to go.  Or it is the actual recording itself.  The placement of the mics doesn't sound right to me.  Sounds a bit distant.  The album sounds flat to me, no fault of the artists.  It is a live recording which often doesn't lead to great releases though the musicianship is fantastic.  
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpink44 View Post

LOL! At least they play different instruments :-) Both the Cohens are outstanding! His trumpet playing on this recording is just mesmerizing. If you pick it up, please let me know what you think!

 

Happy New Year!!



 

post #97 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNBC View Post

Early impressions is that it is an excellent recording.  I broke down and bought the Amazon MP3 album but maybe the CD would have been the way to go.  Or it is the actual recording itself.  The placement of the mics doesn't sound right to me.  Sounds a bit distant.  The album sounds flat to me, no fault of the artists.  It is a live recording which often doesn't lead to great releases though the musicianship is fantastic.  
 



 


Glad you decided to pick this one up!! I have the CD and have been listening through an Audinst DAC/AMP and my Sennheiser HD600s - that being said, I don't think it's the mics, but it might be. It seems to me that at times the musicians are turning to the side or moving with their backs to the mics/audience. You definitely get the the feeling of a live recording. As far as distant/flat, I personally don't get that, but the Sennheiser's tend to put you right on stage (or in this case in the front two rows). Those are just my impressions.

 

I know I've already mentioned it, but it's worth repeating - the trumpet & sax playing are full of emotion and soul throughout. I couldn't decided what was more impressive - those two artists or the compositions by Avital. I also really enjoy Jason Linder's work on piano.

 

Anyway, glad you are enjoying it so far!!! Hope you're off to a happy 2012
 

 

post #98 of 227

I may just pick up the CD and maybe it's just the compression of the MP3.  I listened to it on my portable and home rigs.  I usually go with CDs but went with Amazon MP3 convenience this time.  By all other measures an outstanding album.  I guess it's just very noticeable that it is a live vs studio recording.  Live is always is trickier to record and edit in post-production.  

 

EDIT: you are right, not so much with positioning with MICs but in the MP3 version there isn't weight to any of the instruments, doesn't feel palpable whereas with even other MP3 albums or 16/44 rips the notes are more "palpable".  In any case, everyone should buy this album, I will get the CD version.  Great stuff.


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpink44 View Post


Glad you decided to pick this one up!! I have the CD and have been listening through an Audinst DAC/AMP and my Sennheiser HD600s - that being said, I don't think it's the mics, but it might be. It seems to me that at times the musicians are turning to the side or moving with their backs to the mics/audience. You definitely get the the feeling of a live recording. As far as distant/flat, I personally don't get that, but the Sennheiser's tend to put you right on stage (or in this case in the front two rows). Those are just my impressions.

 

I know I've already mentioned it, but it's worth repeating - the trumpet & sax playing are full of emotion and soul throughout. I couldn't decided what was more impressive - those two artists or the compositions by Avital. I also really enjoy Jason Linder's work on piano.

 

Anyway, glad you are enjoying it so far!!! Hope you're off to a happy 2012
 

 



 


Edited by WNBC - 1/4/12 at 10:43am
post #99 of 227

Jazz at the Pawn Shop is an audiophile favorite prized for its sound quality:

 

http://www.amazon.com/Jazz-at-Pawnshop-Various-Artists/dp/B000002481

 

 

post #100 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNBC View Post

 

EDIT: you are right, not so much with positioning with MICs but in the MP3 version there isn't weight to any of the instruments, doesn't feel palpable whereas with even other MP3 albums or 16/44 rips the notes are more "palpable".  In any case, everyone should buy this album, I will get the CD version.  Great stuff.


 



 


Awesome WNBC - really glad you are getting the same enjoyment out of it that I am!!! I'll be working on a review this weekend of another recording from that group (with a different drummer).
 

 

post #101 of 227



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru blu View Post

…here's a Trane-influenced saxist who's been around a bit but come into his own in the past few years…three fine trio albums since 2008, notable for their economy, briskness and all-around expressiveness…JD Allen seems to be on a roll, not least of which because his trio is a good vehicle for Rudy Royston, one of the finest of the new drummers…

 

allen.jpg

Victory!


Thanks tru blu - going to try and pickup a copy of Victory this weekend!
 

 

post #102 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpink44 View Post

 

I've also just finished a review of "Free Forever" by the Omer Avital group. This recording should have a home with any serious jazz fans...at least that's my .02 cents. The compositions by Avital are masterpieces and the sax work by Frahm and trumpet work by Cohen are expressive and soulfull! A full review of the album can be found here: http://www.jazzjunkie.net/

 

Omer Avital - Free Forever Album Cover.jpg

 

…gonna look into this. Incidentally, just last night I saw Omer Avital in a Middle Eastern hiphop-inspired band called Yemen Blues. He was playing oud at one point and then strapped on a Hofner bass like the one Paul McCartney likes to play.

post #103 of 227

post #104 of 227

Acoustic Alchemy.. certainly worth a mention

 

post #105 of 227

JØRN ØIEN TRIO:
DIGGING IN THE DARK
BOLAGE (2010)

 

39728_XL.jpg

 

Site with preview listening

 

http://www.mic.musikkonline.no/shop/displayAlbum.asp?id=39728

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Jazz Recommendations from this Century