Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Jazz Recommendations from this Century
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Jazz Recommendations from this Century - Page 3

post #31 of 233

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post

 

I'll kick off with this little gem that I found:

 

Christian Lillingers Grund - First Reason (2009).  Hes a twenty something year old drummer and boy does he drum! This is his first solo release and I've played it to death since I downloaded it. It's got everything I like about jazz; Spontaneity, original ideas, soul, and also important for me is great recorded sound. 65 mins of great modern Jazz.

 

Christian.jpg

 

 

 

  



I didn't realize it when you posted this, but this was on my wish list (I have a small book to keep track of all the albums I'm looking for). Well, I just picked it up and I'm hoping to get a chance to spin it tomorrow (worst case, Monday at work).

 

post #32 of 233

no one is gonna +1 me on Esperanza Spalding?  really? 

 

also to the guy who asked about joshua redman... get the album called momentum.  its really good.

I saw him for the first time ever several years ago, having no idea what i was in for, or how good he was.. he played in a tiny, TINY! little club.  He was playing with a group of musicians and we talked with all of them before they got onstage, wherein they informed us that before tonights performance they had never played together, and had'nt even practiced together!!!!   well, I thought, this should be an interesting train wreck...   it was Joshua, a drummer, and a keyboardist... the keyboardist looked like he had crawled out of a ditch to do the show.

to put it lightly i will say they blew the freakin doors off this little club.. I remember just standing there Jaw dropped the entire time.  they played again the next night and it was probably the best jazz shows i have ever heard.   

 

the drummer was just SICK!

the keyboardist was not only incredible, but he played the bass notes with his feet! and these were'nt piddley little once in a while notes, it was as if they had another dude there wailing on the bass!  Never seen anything like that before.

 

 

 

post #33 of 233

…Lillinger's name is traveling pretty fast these days…haven't heard First Reason yet (curious 'cause I really dig Joachim Kuhn's playing), but it's worth noting that anyone interested in keeping up with the contemporary jazz avant-garde should check out the Clean Feed label…they've been releasing some fine music from their homebase in Portugal…

 

…about Esperanza Spalding…she's obviously immensely talented and creatively ambitious, but I seem to like her more on other folks' records than her own…she's great as part of Joe Lovano's recent Us Five quintet…

 

…and y'all should check mrpink44's rev'w of that Jason Moran disc, TEN…we're in disagreement about the looped track (which, to me, makes sense in terms of the album's sequence and pacing; I'm a start-to-finish album guy), but overall, it's quite thorough…here's another rev'w/interv'w from when the disc was released…http://www.villagevoice.com/2010-06-15/music/jason-moran-s-new-jazz-testament/


Edited by tru blu - 11/27/11 at 2:46am
post #34 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Br777 View Post

no one is gonna +1 me on Esperanza Spalding?  really? 

 

also to the guy who asked about joshua redman... get the album called momentum.  its really good.

I saw him for the first time ever several years ago, having no idea what i was in for, or how good he was.. he played in a tiny, TINY! little club.  He was playing with a group of musicians and we talked with all of them before they got onstage, wherein they informed us that before tonights performance they had never played together, and had'nt even practiced together!!!!   well, I thought, this should be an interesting train wreck...   it was Joshua, a drummer, and a keyboardist... the keyboardist looked like he had crawled out of a ditch to do the show.

to put it lightly i will say they blew the freakin doors off this little club.. I remember just standing there Jaw dropped the entire time.  they played again the next night and it was probably the best jazz shows i have ever heard.   

 

the drummer was just SICK!

the keyboardist was not only incredible, but he played the bass notes with his feet! and these were'nt piddley little once in a while notes, it was as if they had another dude there wailing on the bass!  Never seen anything like that before.

 

 

 



folks, thanks for all the Joshua Redman recommendations.

I'm going to see Joshua and Brad Mehldau this spring, sounds like I'm in for a real treat. I'll have to check out the Redman/Mehldau CD someone recommended.

Also, a big +1 for the Joshua Redman Live at the Village Vanguard CD!

post #35 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post



folks, thanks for all the Joshua Redman recommendations.

I'm going to see Joshua and Brad Mehldau this spring, sounds like I'm in for a real treat. I'll have to check out the Redman/Mehldau CD someone recommended.

Also, a big +1 for the Joshua Redman Live at the Village Vanguard CD!


Hey Chris J - where are you going to see Redman/Mehldau?? I have tickets to see them in Chicago in April. Also have tickets to see Moran in Chicago in June - he's doing a Fats Waller tribute!

 

post #36 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by tru blu View Post

…Lillinger's name is traveling pretty fast these days…haven't heard First Reason yet (curious 'cause I really dig Joachim Kuhn's playing), but it's worth noting that anyone interested in keeping up with the contemporary jazz avant-garde should check out the Clean Feed label…they've been releasing some fine music from their homebase in Portugal…

 

…about Esperanza Spalding…she's obviously immensely talented and creatively ambitious, but I seem to like her more on other folks' records than her own…she's great as part of Joe Lovano's recent Us Five quintet…

 

…and y'all should check mrpink44's rev'w of that Jason Moran disc, TEN…we're in disagreement about the looped track (which, to me, makes sense in terms of the album's sequence and pacing; I'm a start-to-finish album guy), but overall, it's quite thorough…here's another rev'w/interv'w from when the disc was released…http://www.villagevoice.com/2010-06-15/music/jason-moran-s-new-jazz-testament/


I'm going to give that Lillinger disc a spin as soon as I get done with this post! Thanks for the info on the Clean Feed label!! I'm really interested in checking out jazz from outside the U.S. - it opens up, literally, an entire new world of music!!

 

Completely agree with your thoughts on Spalding! She should be an exciting artist to watch grow in the coming years.

 

Thanks for the recommendation on my review!!! I've tried to enjoy that track, but the loop just gets to me - and it's not loops in general, because I really enjoy his use in earlier works. I do respect what he is doing though. That Village Voice review is definitely worth the read!!

 

post #37 of 233
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpink44 View Post

 



I didn't realize it when you posted this, but this was on my wish list (I have a small book to keep track of all the albums I'm looking for). Well, I just picked it up and I'm hoping to get a chance to spin it tomorrow (worst case, Monday at work).

 



Nice one! look forward to reading some impressions. Lilliger is obviously on a mission to showcase what he is capable of on this album so it's very ecclectic. I can hear a big Ornette Coleman influence, a lot of the tracks start slow and weird and then build up to a cohesion of sorts, changing tempo's often and he always saves the best parts to last, never a dull moment for me.      

post #38 of 233

Billy Taylor Live at IAJE - one of my favorite jazz recordings, regardless of century (happens to be this one)

http://www.amazon.com/Live-at-IAJE-New-York/dp/B00006F89G/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1322423501&sr=1-2

post #39 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpink44 View Post


Hey Chris J - where are you going to see Redman/Mehldau?? I have tickets to see them in Chicago in April. Also have tickets to see Moran in Chicago in June - he's doing a Fats Waller tribute!

 



Hey man,

Toronto, Canada

Venue is Koerner Hall (TELUS Centre for Performance and Learning)

Sat. Apr. 14, 2012 @ 8:00 p.m.

Not too sure if they have sidemen....bass, drums, etc.

Can you dig it?

 

I've been to Chi town....nice place!

 

post #40 of 233

83afc8b7_aidan_baker-still_life.jpg

Aidan Baker -  Still Life (2011)


Edited by MrQ - 11/28/11 at 12:23pm
post #41 of 233

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris J View Post



Hey man,

Toronto, Canada

Venue is Koerner Hall (TELUS Centre for Performance and Learning)

Sat. Apr. 14, 2012 @ 8:00 p.m.

Not too sure if they have sidemen....bass, drums, etc.

Can you dig it?

 

I've been to Chi town....nice place!

 


I believe it's a duo format - they've been playing all over as a duo for quite some time so that's what I'm anticipating. I think they're in Chicago a week after the Toronto show. Chicago is a great town - I really enjoy going there. I've been to Toronto a few times as well and really liked it. Spent 5 days there in the mid-1990s and I was amazed at how clean it was for a larger city. And I got to spend the day at the hockey hall of fame :-)
 

 

post #42 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post



Nice one! look forward to reading some impressions. Lilliger is obviously on a mission to showcase what he is capable of on this album so it's very ecclectic. I can hear a big Ornette Coleman influence, a lot of the tracks start slow and weird and then build up to a cohesion of sorts, changing tempo's often and he always saves the best parts to last, never a dull moment for me.      


Ok, so I gave it a listen yesterday morning. Personally, it's not my favorrite jazz style, but I did enjoy a few of the tracks. I liked the cello/strings in the 2nd track and "Shape" and "Platform" were the other two that really stood out - they had a little bit more structure to them. You are right on with the Ornette Coleman influence!!
 

For me, the style of jazz I want to hear can be about the mood I'm in and this is not something I would normally listen to on a Sunday morning. So I really want to give it a couple of more listens later in the day. Some of the stuff he is doing is really amazing!!

post #43 of 233

Aziza Mustafa Zadeh - Inspiration.  Quite arguably the most underrated jazz artist of all time, and with an all-star cast, including Al Di Meola, Stanley Clarke, Dave Weckl, John Patitucci, Omar Hakim, Bill Evans, Kai Eckhardt, and Torsten de Winkel.  Forget the Grammys, this album is where the action is.

 

Hiromi - Time Out.  A rather funky and eclectic take on modern jazz fusion.  Phenomenal pianist. 

 

Dave Weckl - Live (and Very Plugged In).  Some find Weckl a bit too robotic and choppy, but this is modern jazz/fusion played to perfection, yet still with a strong groove.


Edited by LithoJazoSphere - 11/28/11 at 2:10pm
post #44 of 233

oh my folks.  I cant believe i forgot one of the greatest jazz musicians of out time..  CHARLIE HUNTER.

 

are any of you familiar with this simultaneous guitar/bass playing genius? 

here's a taste

 

post #45 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by LithoJazoSphere View Post

Aziza Mustafa Zadeh - Inspiration.  Quite arguably the most underrated jazz artist of all time, and with an all-star cast, including Al Di Meola, Stanley Clarke, Dave Weckl, John Patitucci, Omar Hakim, Bill Evans, Kai Eckhardt, and Torsten de Winkel.  Forget the Grammys, this album is where the action is.

 

Hiromi - Time Out.  A rather funky and eclectic take on modern jazz fusion.  Phenomenal pianist. 

 

Dave Weckl - Live (and Very Plugged In).  Some find Weckl a bit too robotic and choppy, but this is modern jazz/fusion played to perfection, yet still with a strong groove.


I think Weckl is coooolcool.gif.

Thanks for the tip!
 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Jazz Recommendations from this Century