- 286 Posts. Joined 3/2009
- Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCambridge Audiotagged by System, 6/13/12
- productCambridge Audio Azur DacMagic Plustagged by System, 6/13/12
- categoryDACstagged by System, 6/13/12
- categoryDedicated Source Componentstagged by System, 6/13/12
- productSchiit Audio Bifrost DACtagged by System, 6/13/12
- productYulong D100tagged by System, 6/13/12
Related Forum Threads
- Yulong d100 II vs GF Tube DAC-11 vs Audio-GD NFB 10.2 vs Schiit bifrost Last post on 10/10/13 at 5:20pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Schiit Bifrost or DACMagic Plus? Last post on 5/21/14 at 6:24am in Dedicated Source Components
- Emotiva XDA-1 24/192 Balanced DAC/Digital Preamp for $250 (clearance) Last post on 12/31/12 at 11:47am in Dedicated Source Components
- Help finding DAC for Stax Lambda Pro Last post on 8/24/12 at 11:27pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Asgard + Which DAC? Need advice on decent pairing Last post on 8/22/12 at 3:28pm in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
Introduction FiiO X5 3rd generation is the successor of the loved by many X5 2nd generation DAP from FiiO. I requested to be a part of the tour for X5 3rd gen because I really wanted to hear...
After spending over a week of daily listening to these ciems I can confidently say that I have made an excellent choice with these ciems. There is nothing that i can say that hasn't been already...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we'll be checking out a micro-driver that's been, for the most part, well-received around the forums. Their small size, low price, and sonic performance have made them a...
Equipment to compare. iFi iDSD Black Label AMP/DAC (returned) Beyerdynamic T1 2nd Gen Headphones (returned) Meridian Explorer 2 AMP/DAC (returned) Beyerdynamic A20 Amp (returned) HiFiMan X...
RHA CL1 – initial impressions Reid Heath Audio are a Scotland-based manufacturer who will be familiar to iFans, with their T10i and T20i all-metal IEMs being prominently displayed in Apple...
DACMagic Plus Impressions - Page 21post #301 of 39010/25/13 at 6:08pmThe DM+ is really good IMO. It's just missing a digital display for volume and a remote, otherwise SQ is really good. The volume control is fine.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #302 of 39010/25/13 at 6:12pmpost #303 of 39010/27/13 at 8:42pmExcuse the noob question but I'm wanting to buy the dac magic plus as a dac only. I've got a tube amp wa3, how would I bypass the internal amp of the dac? If I use a toslink cable to connect it to my pc and then RCA to the wa3. Will this effectively bypass the amp on the dac magic plus or would it be double amping. Cheerspost #304 of 39010/28/13 at 4:33am
The DM+'s amp is only viable if you are plugged into it. If you are plugged into the WA3 then it will be your amp and the DM+ is DAC only for that application.post #305 of 39010/29/13 at 4:19amThank you for the info I'm stuck between the bitfrost dac and dac magic plus money isn't a worry. The only reason I'm worried about the Bitfrost is because its a sponsor of headhifi and I'm not sure if the hype is as good as the dacmagicpost #306 of 39010/29/13 at 5:17amI have never heard the BiFrost. It is highly regarded around here. The DM+ is more versatile with its HPamp and Balanced inputs. I suspect you will be pleased with either one. Two nice choices for their price points.post #307 of 39011/7/13 at 5:22pm
Just got my DacMagic Plus yesterday and use it with Bootlehead S.E.X. and definitely prefer it over Bifrost Uber because of better details retrieval. Don't want to derail thread with off topic but the cables you use to connect your gear will make difference
Edited by olegausany - 11/7/13 at 5:25pmpost #308 of 39011/22/13 at 3:32amSorry guys, don't know if this is the wrong thread to ask this question but the other thread is kinda dead but:
Is the dac magic 100 worth getting for about 200 bucks or should I save up more to get this dac magic plus?
I've got the aune t1 atm, are the dac magic (both versions) much better than the aune t1? Is it worth the upgrade?
Thanks in advancepost #309 of 39012/24/13 at 6:53am
I can support the original review. I had a DM+ on loan when my m-dac was being fixed awhile back (had a dry joint caused one channel to fail). I compared DM+ to a nuforce hdp that normally runs my kitchen speakers and the nuforce sounded better. I did like the DM+ build and features though. It was solid and no annoying personality traits - if it were a car it would be a Toyota Camry.post #310 of 3901/2/14 at 1:27pm
I would shell out the extra $$$ for the plus. the added features plus the better sound quality are worth it. I bought one about 2 years ago and loved it so much with my main system I bought a second one for my mini system. I can't even imagine listening to music in my home without it. It brings everything to life.
It's the best 'dollar for dollar' dac money can buy, IMO.
Ken Rockwell put up a very thorough review : http://kenrockwell.com/audio/cambridge/dacmagic-plus.htm
"It has the best performance I've ever measured over USB of any DAC at any price. It's completely immune to even the slightest jitter that other excellent DACs can't remove from USB, as well as often the best performances I've measured for distortion. I installed no software, and magically it fed itself with 96 ksps audio via USB from iTunes on my Mac"
Be warned though - it is true clean representation of the music - and very unforgiving for poor recordings or audio!post #311 of 3901/3/14 at 9:51ampost #312 of 3902/11/14 at 4:52am
A friend made me a great deal on a pair of Sennheiser HD-800's and ruined my life. Ok, no, not really, but I'm having difficulty finding something I want to plug em into and I've stuck the jack into every socket I find. I've never done that with any headphones I've had before, but these things are turning me into an obsessive. They are very unforgiving. And because I'm a cheap bastard I'm not going easy into the price bracket that people say these cans demand. So I got the DacMagic Plus from my local used and new audiophile store. I got it from the new side because they don't do headphone gear on the used side. I'll be returning it while I can still get all my money back.
As a DAC, it's not bad at all. For the price, as a DAC, it's not bad at all. If I didn't already have an Oppo BDP-105 blu-ray player that I use for a DAC, I would keep this. I see why the original DacMagic has the fanbase it does. Unfortunately the headphone amp they built into this thing is not up to the same standard. If I had to use one word to describe it, it would be thin. A second word might be shrill, but that would make it sound worse than it is. It isn't too fatiguing, but I did take a few breaks over the course of my 8 hour shift. I don't mind that the volume control doesn't have numbers to show what level it's at, but not having control of bass, treble, and gain is puzzling. Other than the headphone output, this is the best product I've tried from CA. I'd recommend this unit as a standalone DAC, but not as a headphone amp. As a DAC it is better than the output on common disc players and receivers. I have A/B tested it versus 3 receivers (Harmon / Kardon, Onkyo, and Yamaha) and my Integra home theater processor and all of them sounded better. It's a better DAC than the Onkyo and Yamaha, hands down. The HK is a little older so it's DAC won't do 24/192, but for the other tracks I like it better. Newer isn't always better with DACs, but they can be more compatible. All the receivers I tested came from thrift stores for less than $50. The Integra came from ebay and cost quite a bit more, so it's appropriate that it's the best thing I've plugged the HD-800's into yet (with the Oppo as the DAC feeding in through the balanced inputs. I like the Integra's headphone output better than the headphone output on the Oppo even, but I haven't tested that enough to eliminate volume differences and tone control from the equation). Yada, yada, I digress... The point I'm trying to make here is that a dedicate headphone amp should sound better than just about ANY receiver and, sadly, the headphone output on the DacMagic Plus beat NONE of them which is surprising and disappointing. I hope CA takes note and fixes it in the next revision. Could be a killer product at this price point. Great DAC, crummy headphone amp. Also, they really should add an analog input. A phono input would be great too, but seriously, I'm surprised it doesn't have analog in.post #313 of 3903/2/14 at 1:25am
Could anyone tell me if Dacmagic Plus should remember volume level in preamp mode because mine does not. Also in the fixed output mode the volume level is too high rather, zooms across my Phonitor gauges red zones all the time.
Andypost #314 of 3903/2/14 at 4:29pm
- DACMagic Plus Impressions
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 14 seconds ago
- › Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones 24 seconds ago
- › 1964 Ears Adel IEMs 33 seconds ago
- › Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - 👌 screenless budget... 1 minute ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 1 minute ago
- › Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling 1 minute ago
- › Official Head-Fi Houston Summer Kick-Off Meet: Saturday - May 20th,... 2 minutes ago
- › Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC 2 minutes ago
- › What do you think of the AKM VERITA AK4490 DAC chip? 2 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Dobrescu George
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by ss5972
- › Joyroom JR-E107 Metal Headphone In-Ear Earphone With Control And... by B9Scrambler
- › Chord MoJo by mswlogo
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by Jackpot77
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by BillsonChang007
- › EarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEM by mrstrangeguy
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Dobrescu George
- › Brainwavz B150 by crabdog
- › 1MORE1008 Earbud by Peddler
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear