- 285 Posts. Joined 3/2009
- Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCambridge Audiotagged by System, 6/13/12
- productCambridge Audio Azur DacMagic Plustagged by System, 6/13/12
- categoryDACstagged by System, 6/13/12
- categoryDedicated Source Componentstagged by System, 6/13/12
- productSchiit Audio Bifrost DACtagged by System, 6/13/12
- productYulong D100tagged by System, 6/13/12
Related Forum Threads
- Yulong d100 II vs GF Tube DAC-11 vs Audio-GD NFB 10.2 vs Schiit bifrost Last post on 10/10/13 at 5:20pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Schiit Bifrost or DACMagic Plus? Last post on 5/21/14 at 6:24am in Dedicated Source Components
- Emotiva XDA-1 24/192 Balanced DAC/Digital Preamp for $250 (clearance) Last post on 12/31/12 at 11:47am in Dedicated Source Components
- Help finding DAC for Stax Lambda Pro Last post on 8/24/12 at 11:27pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Asgard + Which DAC? Need advice on decent pairing Last post on 8/22/12 at 3:28pm in Dedicated Source Components
Couldn't find much on the internet about these, so I took the plunge. Pros: Nice aesthetics Solid build quality Cheaper than Bose equivalent, looks and feels nicer,...
I don't claim to be an expert audiophile. More of a wannabe. I do love finding under the radar headphones with good value. I can compare this to a few other bluetooth headsets I have spent some...
Brainwavz M1 Quick Review Thanks to mp4nation back in the day for the sample. Full length old review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/499583/brainwavz-m1-review Brief: Old but...
I have own the Dunu tridents for about 4-5 months, and about a week about, the left ear suddenly stopped working. I left them on my desk for the weekend, no spills, or anything touching them. Now i...
Intro Here is a review of the Audio-Technica CKR10 there are a couple reviews of this model already but the more reviews the better. First I would like to say thank you to Audio-Technica for...
DACMagic Plus Impressions - Page 21
Gear mentioned in this thread:
The DM+'s amp is only viable if you are plugged into it. If you are plugged into the WA3 then it will be your amp and the DM+ is DAC only for that application.
Just got my DacMagic Plus yesterday and use it with Bootlehead S.E.X. and definitely prefer it over Bifrost Uber because of better details retrieval. Don't want to derail thread with off topic but the cables you use to connect your gear will make difference
Edited by olegausany - 11/7/13 at 5:25pm
Is the dac magic 100 worth getting for about 200 bucks or should I save up more to get this dac magic plus?
I've got the aune t1 atm, are the dac magic (both versions) much better than the aune t1? Is it worth the upgrade?
Thanks in advance
I can support the original review. I had a DM+ on loan when my m-dac was being fixed awhile back (had a dry joint caused one channel to fail). I compared DM+ to a nuforce hdp that normally runs my kitchen speakers and the nuforce sounded better. I did like the DM+ build and features though. It was solid and no annoying personality traits - if it were a car it would be a Toyota Camry.
I would shell out the extra $$$ for the plus. the added features plus the better sound quality are worth it. I bought one about 2 years ago and loved it so much with my main system I bought a second one for my mini system. I can't even imagine listening to music in my home without it. It brings everything to life.
It's the best 'dollar for dollar' dac money can buy, IMO.
Ken Rockwell put up a very thorough review : http://kenrockwell.com/audio/cambridge/dacmagic-plus.htm
"It has the best performance I've ever measured over USB of any DAC at any price. It's completely immune to even the slightest jitter that other excellent DACs can't remove from USB, as well as often the best performances I've measured for distortion. I installed no software, and magically it fed itself with 96 ksps audio via USB from iTunes on my Mac"
Be warned though - it is true clean representation of the music - and very unforgiving for poor recordings or audio!
A friend made me a great deal on a pair of Sennheiser HD-800's and ruined my life. Ok, no, not really, but I'm having difficulty finding something I want to plug em into and I've stuck the jack into every socket I find. I've never done that with any headphones I've had before, but these things are turning me into an obsessive. They are very unforgiving. And because I'm a cheap bastard I'm not going easy into the price bracket that people say these cans demand. So I got the DacMagic Plus from my local used and new audiophile store. I got it from the new side because they don't do headphone gear on the used side. I'll be returning it while I can still get all my money back.
As a DAC, it's not bad at all. For the price, as a DAC, it's not bad at all. If I didn't already have an Oppo BDP-105 blu-ray player that I use for a DAC, I would keep this. I see why the original DacMagic has the fanbase it does. Unfortunately the headphone amp they built into this thing is not up to the same standard. If I had to use one word to describe it, it would be thin. A second word might be shrill, but that would make it sound worse than it is. It isn't too fatiguing, but I did take a few breaks over the course of my 8 hour shift. I don't mind that the volume control doesn't have numbers to show what level it's at, but not having control of bass, treble, and gain is puzzling. Other than the headphone output, this is the best product I've tried from CA. I'd recommend this unit as a standalone DAC, but not as a headphone amp. As a DAC it is better than the output on common disc players and receivers. I have A/B tested it versus 3 receivers (Harmon / Kardon, Onkyo, and Yamaha) and my Integra home theater processor and all of them sounded better. It's a better DAC than the Onkyo and Yamaha, hands down. The HK is a little older so it's DAC won't do 24/192, but for the other tracks I like it better. Newer isn't always better with DACs, but they can be more compatible. All the receivers I tested came from thrift stores for less than $50. The Integra came from ebay and cost quite a bit more, so it's appropriate that it's the best thing I've plugged the HD-800's into yet (with the Oppo as the DAC feeding in through the balanced inputs. I like the Integra's headphone output better than the headphone output on the Oppo even, but I haven't tested that enough to eliminate volume differences and tone control from the equation). Yada, yada, I digress... The point I'm trying to make here is that a dedicate headphone amp should sound better than just about ANY receiver and, sadly, the headphone output on the DacMagic Plus beat NONE of them which is surprising and disappointing. I hope CA takes note and fixes it in the next revision. Could be a killer product at this price point. Great DAC, crummy headphone amp. Also, they really should add an analog input. A phono input would be great too, but seriously, I'm surprised it doesn't have analog in.
Could anyone tell me if Dacmagic Plus should remember volume level in preamp mode because mine does not. Also in the fixed output mode the volume level is too high rather, zooms across my Phonitor gauges red zones all the time.
- DACMagic Plus Impressions
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 31 seconds ago
- › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread 32 seconds ago
- › Newbie looking for budget headset 1 minute ago
- › The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › AKG K7xx [New - Limited Edition <300 serial number] 1 minute ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW first look at the Zero Audio DuoZA iems... 3 minutes ago
- › "The Lab" 3 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 3 minutes ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 3 minutes ago
- › Need help to find my path - hd650/600 vs K7xx vs Fidelio x2 vs... 4 minutes ago
- › House of Marley - LEGEND ANC by White Lotus
- › Audio Technica S700BT by ironicinori
- › MP4Nation Brainwavz M1 by mark2410
- › DUNU DN-12 Trident by Ghoulcow
- › Audio Technica ATH-CKR10 IN-EAR HEADPHONE TITANIUM SONIC PRO DUAL... by acain
- › Woo Audio 2 by mikoss
- › KAM HP1 by LowDose
- › Schiit Vali by Mr Rick
- › DUNU DN-2000 Hybrid 3 way earphone by YoYo JoKeR
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-100 by Spiderman
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)