- 284 Posts. Joined 3/2009
- Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCambridge Audiotagged by System, 6/13/12
- productCambridge Audio Azur DacMagic Plustagged by System, 6/13/12
- categoryDACstagged by System, 6/13/12
- categoryDedicated Source Componentstagged by System, 6/13/12
- productSchiit Audio Bifrost DACtagged by System, 6/13/12
- productYulong D100tagged by System, 6/13/12
Related Forum Threads
- Yulong d100 II vs GF Tube DAC-11 vs Audio-GD NFB 10.2 vs Schiit bifrost Last post on 10/10/13 at 5:20pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Schiit Bifrost or DACMagic Plus? Last post on 1/20/14 at 6:35am in Dedicated Source Components
- Emotiva XDA-1 24/192 Balanced DAC/Digital Preamp for $250 (clearance) Last post on 12/31/12 at 11:47am in Dedicated Source Components
- Help finding DAC for Stax Lambda Pro Last post on 8/24/12 at 11:27pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Asgard + Which DAC? Need advice on decent pairing Last post on 8/22/12 at 3:28pm in Dedicated Source Components
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 1/22/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio)Last edited: 12/10/13
I was looking for closed headphones with a pricetag up to €200 that could be used without an amp. After some research and listening sessions I bought the M50x. There's really not a lot to say about...
If you look at my profile, I stay within a small range of products that have worked for my son and I. These include V-Moda, Westone, Audio Technica and Klipsch. Each have their own strenghts,...
I've had Mentor for nearly a month before selling it and JH16fp (first deciding to sell Mentor, then putting it on hold, then selling JH, then finally selling Mentor) and thought I'd share my...
When my 2 year old DBA02 mkii's lost left channel signal strength, I needed a replacement, pronto. I took note of some good sounding <$100 IEMs from |joker|'s list and headed off to the nearest...
When it comes to Edifier, they are best known for their desktop PC speaker range and acquiring the prestigious electrostatic headphone company Stax. But just because they now own Stax doesn’t mean...
DACMagic Plus Impressions - Page 21post #301 of 31610/25/13 at 6:08pmThe DM+ is really good IMO. It's just missing a digital display for volume and a remote, otherwise SQ is really good. The volume control is fine.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #302 of 31610/25/13 at 6:12pmpost #303 of 31610/27/13 at 8:42pmExcuse the noob question but I'm wanting to buy the dac magic plus as a dac only. I've got a tube amp wa3, how would I bypass the internal amp of the dac? If I use a toslink cable to connect it to my pc and then RCA to the wa3. Will this effectively bypass the amp on the dac magic plus or would it be double amping. Cheerspost #304 of 31610/28/13 at 4:33ampost #305 of 31610/29/13 at 4:19amThank you for the info I'm stuck between the bitfrost dac and dac magic plus money isn't a worry. The only reason I'm worried about the Bitfrost is because its a sponsor of headhifi and I'm not sure if the hype is as good as the dacmagicpost #306 of 31610/29/13 at 5:17amI have never heard the BiFrost. It is highly regarded around here. The DM+ is more versatile with its HPamp and Balanced inputs. I suspect you will be pleased with either one. Two nice choices for their price points.post #307 of 31611/7/13 at 5:22pm
Just got my DacMagic Plus yesterday and use it with Bootlehead S.E.X. and definitely prefer it over Bifrost Uber because of better details retrieval. Don't want to derail thread with off topic but the cables you use to connect your gear will make difference
Edited by olegausany - 11/7/13 at 5:25pmpost #308 of 31611/22/13 at 3:32amSorry guys, don't know if this is the wrong thread to ask this question but the other thread is kinda dead but:
Is the dac magic 100 worth getting for about 200 bucks or should I save up more to get this dac magic plus?
I've got the aune t1 atm, are the dac magic (both versions) much better than the aune t1? Is it worth the upgrade?
Thanks in advancepost #309 of 31612/24/13 at 6:53am
I can support the original review. I had a DM+ on loan when my m-dac was being fixed awhile back (had a dry joint caused one channel to fail). I compared DM+ to a nuforce hdp that normally runs my kitchen speakers and the nuforce sounded better. I did like the DM+ build and features though. It was solid and no annoying personality traits - if it were a car it would be a Toyota Camry.post #310 of 3161/2/14 at 1:27pm
I would shell out the extra $$$ for the plus. the added features plus the better sound quality are worth it. I bought one about 2 years ago and loved it so much with my main system I bought a second one for my mini system. I can't even imagine listening to music in my home without it. It brings everything to life.
It's the best 'dollar for dollar' dac money can buy, IMO.
Ken Rockwell put up a very thorough review : http://kenrockwell.com/audio/cambridge/dacmagic-plus.htm
"It has the best performance I've ever measured over USB of any DAC at any price. It's completely immune to even the slightest jitter that other excellent DACs can't remove from USB, as well as often the best performances I've measured for distortion. I installed no software, and magically it fed itself with 96 ksps audio via USB from iTunes on my Mac"
Be warned though - it is true clean representation of the music - and very unforgiving for poor recordings or audio!post #311 of 3161/3/14 at 9:51ampost #312 of 3162/11/14 at 4:52am
A friend made me a great deal on a pair of Sennheiser HD-800's and ruined my life. Ok, no, not really, but I'm having difficulty finding something I want to plug em into and I've stuck the jack into every socket I find. I've never done that with any headphones I've had before, but these things are turning me into an obsessive. They are very unforgiving. And because I'm a cheap bastard I'm not going easy into the price bracket that people say these cans demand. So I got the DacMagic Plus from my local used and new audiophile store. I got it from the new side because they don't do headphone gear on the used side. I'll be returning it while I can still get all my money back.
As a DAC, it's not bad at all. For the price, as a DAC, it's not bad at all. If I didn't already have an Oppo BDP-105 blu-ray player that I use for a DAC, I would keep this. I see why the original DacMagic has the fanbase it does. Unfortunately the headphone amp they built into this thing is not up to the same standard. If I had to use one word to describe it, it would be thin. A second word might be shrill, but that would make it sound worse than it is. It isn't too fatiguing, but I did take a few breaks over the course of my 8 hour shift. I don't mind that the volume control doesn't have numbers to show what level it's at, but not having control of bass, treble, and gain is puzzling. Other than the headphone output, this is the best product I've tried from CA. I'd recommend this unit as a standalone DAC, but not as a headphone amp. As a DAC it is better than the output on common disc players and receivers. I have A/B tested it versus 3 receivers (Harmon / Kardon, Onkyo, and Yamaha) and my Integra home theater processor and all of them sounded better. It's a better DAC than the Onkyo and Yamaha, hands down. The HK is a little older so it's DAC won't do 24/192, but for the other tracks I like it better. Newer isn't always better with DACs, but they can be more compatible. All the receivers I tested came from thrift stores for less than $50. The Integra came from ebay and cost quite a bit more, so it's appropriate that it's the best thing I've plugged the HD-800's into yet (with the Oppo as the DAC feeding in through the balanced inputs. I like the Integra's headphone output better than the headphone output on the Oppo even, but I haven't tested that enough to eliminate volume differences and tone control from the equation). Yada, yada, I digress... The point I'm trying to make here is that a dedicate headphone amp should sound better than just about ANY receiver and, sadly, the headphone output on the DacMagic Plus beat NONE of them which is surprising and disappointing. I hope CA takes note and fixes it in the next revision. Could be a killer product at this price point. Great DAC, crummy headphone amp. Also, they really should add an analog input. A phono input would be great too, but seriously, I'm surprised it doesn't have analog in.post #313 of 3163/2/14 at 1:25am
Could anyone tell me if Dacmagic Plus should remember volume level in preamp mode because mine does not. Also in the fixed output mode the volume level is too high rather, zooms across my Phonitor gauges red zones all the time.
Andypost #314 of 3163/2/14 at 4:29pm
- DACMagic Plus Impressions
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › The NEW JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review) 55 seconds ago
- › Earbud reccomendations? 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › The Stax Thread III 1 minute ago
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier 3 minutes ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 3 minutes ago
- › Head-Fi Exclusive - 10% Rebate On Astell&Kern + Free MQS Album 3 minutes ago
- › Dunu DN-1000 - Dunu's hybrid IEM - Appreciation thread 3 minutes ago
- › Review: Resonessence Labs Invicta - new high end DAC/amp/playback... 4 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by De_klusjesman
- › Klipsch S3M-Blue-HP In-Ear Headphone, Blue by DaddyMojo
- › Unique Melody Mentor acrylic universal/custom by svyr
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude