The CS300X as recommended by Skylab et al (Thanks guys, no regrets!). Yes, for the price the DM+ is a good combo despite having more functions than I need in its current usage. I had no trouble at all with the CA USB 2.0 drivers so that may have influenced some of the bad reports as well.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCambridge Audiotagged by System, 6/13/12
- productCambridge Audio Azur DacMagic Plustagged by System, 6/13/12
- categoryDACstagged by System, 6/13/12
- categoryDedicated Source Componentstagged by System, 6/13/12
- productSchiit Audio Bifrost DACtagged by System, 6/13/12
- productYulong D100tagged by System, 6/13/12
Related Forum Threads
- Yulong d100 II vs GF Tube DAC-11 vs Audio-GD NFB 10.2 vs Schiit bifrost Last post on 10/10/13 at 5:20pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Schiit Bifrost or DACMagic Plus? Last post on 5/21/14 at 6:24am in Dedicated Source Components
- Emotiva XDA-1 24/192 Balanced DAC/Digital Preamp for $250 (clearance) Last post on 12/31/12 at 11:47am in Dedicated Source Components
- Help finding DAC for Stax Lambda Pro Last post on 8/24/12 at 11:27pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Asgard + Which DAC? Need advice on decent pairing Last post on 8/22/12 at 3:28pm in Dedicated Source Components
Ever since picking these IEMs up, they have been my go-to pair for almost every genre of music. They provide a great balance of neutrality paired with extremely forward and lush mids which do not...
This is a very impressive can for less than 1000.00! If this was a 1300-1500.00 can, I wouldn't say it was overpriced. Especially given what some of the audeze and hd800 cost. Now I wouldn't say...
Hello Head-Fi It's been a while since I've participated here since I more or less found my end game and now I only have the urge to change my music player. Today I'll be writing about the AKG...
I bought these a year ago now and they are holding up great with my Vector Research amplifier. Bass is on 10 Mid on 6 and treble on 8. They sound fantastic and don't make any buzzing noises. I wear...
Here a short first-impressions-review of the AH-MM400. First of all let me mention that I am very fond of the previous Denon top models, be it the AH-D7000 or the AH-D7100; as such my...
DACMagic Plus Impressions - Page 18
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Using the DM+ to do the switching is handy for me since my CSP2+ only has 2 inputs....
Here is a review of the DacMagic Plus from Secrets of Home Theater HiFi:
1st question I do not know another DAC with the connectivity that is under$500. There may be one, I just do not know it.
2nd question I would not put a Dac in between the Denon devices. I have Denon gear (DVD-5900>AVR-4311) and there are DAC's of good quality already there and they are designed to work together.
I use the DM+ for digital file processing (MP3, MP4, FLAC, AIFF, WAV etc.) and I love it for that purpose.
Edited by longbowbbs - 12/16/12 at 12:04pm
Not going to use digital in connector (for connecting Denon CD and AVR as you reccomended, I have decided to pick cheaper choice of DAC/headphone amp connectable with PC.. Probably I will go for iBasso D7, which has digital out and USB in port, which are essential for me. Also, I have read pretty good reviews about D7.
Do you know this DAC? Or would you reccomend other device below 100 quids (150 Usd)?
Thanks for useful advices.
Just wanted to add my 2 cents here. I was using my DM+ relatively happily for the last 8 months as a headphone amp for my Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 and Ultrasone Sig Pro. I say 'relatively happy' as I found it a little thin on the lower frequencies, but EQ'd my way around that as a short-term measure.
I recently got a pair of Grado PS1000s. With the Grados I can't live with the DM+ as a headphone amp. It's just too cold-sounding. There seems to be something of a consensus that the Grados partner well with the warmer sound from a tube amp. So, it's role as a headphone amp is over for me. No regrets ... having a dual-use bit of kit is great as a short-term money saver if you plan to upgrade later, or as a longer-term option if you don't.
Quick question ...
I've recently bought a pair of dynaudio bm5a mk2 powered monitors for use in my small office room, and absolutely love them. I am connecting these to logitech touch with NHT X1 crossover (this has balanced outputs, and dynaudio accepts only balanced inputs). I want to use a good quality DAC in the $600 price range, that can double up as a digital balanced preamp as well. Is the volume control good on this DAC? And has anyone compared this to comparable products from audio-gd?
If you mean the knob itself, it's allright, not as bad as some make it sound in my opinion. But sure it would be nice to have some kind of indicator at what level it is. The knob has a good amount of resistance when you turn it, so it's easy to get precisely the desired volume level when you're listening.
Unrelated to the quoted text, I want to add something about setting this DAC up. I recently got it myself, and I felt really dumb when I couldn't figure out how to enable the USB 2.0 mode. The manual and several posts on the internet basically quoting the manual says:
"To change USB class, press in the Filter/Phase button during power up. One of the digital input source LEDs will illuminate to indicate current USB setting."
Maybe it's just my english comprehension that is failing, but I spent about half an hour trying to get it to work, pressing the Filter/Phase button during the power on, which means that I pressed it just after pressing the power button to turn it on, when the LEDs are flashing one by one to show that it is starting up. Well, to actually make it work, you must press and hold in the Filter/Phase button BEFORE you power the device on. I don't know why it took me so long to even try that.
So to switch to USB 2.0 mode after connecting the device the first time, you
1. Switch it off
2. Press and hold the "Filter/Phase" button
3. Turn the device on, the "Digital 1" LED will light up
4. Using the volume knob, turn it to choose "Digital 2"
5. Press the volume knob to choose it, the device will restart by itself
6. Now you can install the driver required for this mode from Cambridge Audio themselves, here
If you try to install the driver before switching USB modes the installer won't find the device and claim it's not connected.
I hope I made it so clear that it can help someone else in the future
Does anyone know if the Ext. Device USB port can be used for anything else than the BT100 Bluetooth receiver? Can it be used with other Bluetooth receivers? Could there technically be a way for me to connect my phone (Galaxy S2) directly to it and push music from the phone to the DacMagic Plus with the phone acting as a Bluetooth receiver?
Or maybe it would be simpler to just use the USB DAC feature, I just need the right wire for it.
Edited by fomoz - 12/30/12 at 3:57am
Hi, I stumbled into this forum searching for a dac/amp for my studio monitors, behringer b3031a. Dacmagic plus seems alright for its price and has the necessary features/outputs i need.
One problem though, to run ASIO my netbook requires at least a 1.6Ghz core 2 or amd equivalent cpu. My cpu is a Intel atom 1.6Ghz.. rest of the specs seems to go through, 2gb ram, UCHI, usb 2.0.
Would my netbook get issues with ASIO? In that case this dac is pretty much useless for me. If someone knows a good alternative dac/amp i'd appreciate the tip. I'm curious about the more expensive musical fidelity m1 dac, seems a whole lot better sound-wise than dacmagic, but not sure about the m1's amp, if it even has one. I want good sound for my headphones as well. so hmm
bare in mind i'm very new on this subject, hi-fi/dac and amps and all that. so just any advice would be helpful.
Edited by Aest - 1/9/13 at 1:44pm
- DACMagic Plus Impressions
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Grado PS1000. Matte finish cups and headphone lounge padded... 22 seconds ago
- › HD800 too bright for violin recordings 42 seconds ago
- › Huge Comparison of all the best Bluetooth Headphones (Fidelio,... 49 seconds ago
- › Beyerdynamic Tesla T1 1 minute ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 1 minute ago
- › P5 MK1 or P5MK2 1 minute ago
- › Centrance upcoming product for Iphone 5 above and Ipod Touch 5 : Hi... 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Looking for a better source for my microphone (a modmic) 3 minutes ago
- › Marantz HD-DAC1 3 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones by Donnyboy98
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by cuiter23
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by moodyrn
- › AKG K551 Closed-Back Reference Class Headset with Mic (Black/Silver) by GL1TCH3D
- › JVC HAM55X High Quality Xtreme-Xplosvs Headphones by Thoft208
- › Denon AH-MM400 Music Maniac Over-Ear Headphones by musikaladin
- › beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Headphones by rigodeni
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by Zalithian
- › Sennheiser PX 95 Versatile On-Ear Headphones by inline79
- › Superlux HD-681 EVO Black Professional Monitor Headphones by serman005
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)